PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb Prot Bar??

ChrystalR
06-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Hey all - I've tried the recipes in the thread but haven't found a low carb prot bar that I like... anyone got any suggestions or alternatives? Hell even a "this might work" recipe?? I'm not sure what I'm gonna do without my protein bars hehe :) Any thoughts??

justagirl
06-23-2006, 02:10 PM
how low carb are you looking for? the two bars i have, other than my home made ones, are zone and detour. detour has 15gs protein, 17gs carbs (2gs of sugar). the zone bar i can't remember right now but it's on a near perfect 40% carbs/40% protein/20% fat split

most low carb bars have a lot of sugar alcohols, and to be honest i know very little about these or the effect they have on insulin levels or anything

heres a recipe for non portable bars. they have to be frozen and melt so you wouldn't be able to take them with you anywhere but they are my pwo meal and very refreshing after a hard workout :) if you need portability they can be used in tupperware as pudding. i'm serious 8-) absolutely delicious too. i'll give you the full recipe and you can decide which carb sources to take out

for 8 servings

8 scoops optimum nutrition chocolate whey
1 packet fat free chocolate pudding mix (sugar free if you can find it, i can't seem to get it ANYWHERE in canada)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 mashed up banana (this can go but half a banana spread out in 8 servings is VERY little sugar and it does help the taste quite a bit)
1/2 cup oats (this can go or be lessened. it helps thicken the consistency and it tastes great with chocolate but it's not necessary)
1 cup skim milk

mix it up really well, pour it into a wide pan or tupperware container, freeze overnight and then slice up :) i usually have to microwave it for about 20 secs to get is soft enough to cut but i freeze them over night

emmie
06-23-2006, 03:38 PM
My homemade bar contains 140 calories, 1 g. fat, 15 g. carb, 18 grams protein. If that's "low-carb" enough for you, I'd be happy to share the recipe.

- Emma

ChrystalR
06-24-2006, 01:07 AM
would love to try it :)

The bar I'm eating now (from the thread) is pretty low in carbs but am always looking for alternatives and something with a diff flavor. Ya know??

spytechs_wife
06-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars

6 tbsp “All Whites” OR 2 egg whites
5 oz. fat free cream cheese
62g (2 scoops) IsoPure Zero Carb protein isolate (vanilla)
1 cup (226g) 1% cottage cheese
1 cup pumpkin puree
½ cup Splenda
1 tsp vanilla extract
non-stick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a blender, combine all ingredients and mix well.

Spray 8 mini-loaf tins with non-stick spray, and distribute batter evenly. Bake for about 25-30 minutes.

When the bars are done, flip them out of the pan onto a sheet of foil, and chill in the fridge.

Makes 8 bars.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION

TOTAL BATCH:
CAL 640
FAT 3g
CRB 36g
PRT 110g

PER BAR:
CAL 80
FAT .4g
CRB 4.5g
PRT 13.75g

--------------------------------------------------------------

Raspberry Chocolate Cheesecake Bars

6 tbsp “All Whites” OR 2 egg whites
5 oz. fat free cream cheese
62g (2 scoops) IsoPure Zero Carb protein isolate (chocolate)
1 cup (226g) 1% cottage cheese
½ cup frozen raspberries (60g)
½ cup Splenda
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
non-stick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a blender, combine all ingredients and mix well.

Spray 8 mini-loaf tins with non-stick spray, and distribute batter evenly. Bake for about 25-30 minutes.

When the bars are done, flip them out of the pan onto a sheet of foil, and chill in the fridge.

Makes 8 bars.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION

TOTAL BATCH:
CAL 610
FAT 2.5g
CRB 31g
PRT 108g

PER BAR:
CAL 76
FAT .3g
CRB 3.9g
PRT 13.5g

spytechs_wife
06-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Sweet Cherry Protein Bar

1 cup wheat bran
5 scoops Perfect IsoPure Zero Carb protein isolate
¼ cup fat free powdered milk
2 oz. (1/4 cup) fat free cream cheese
2 egg whites
2 tsp canola oil
¼ cup water
½ cup frozen cherries
1 tsp imitation cherry extract
1 tsp imitation almond extract
non-stick cooking spray
Splenda to taste

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Chop cherries finely in processor, or by hand. Mix together cherries, cream cheese, water, oil, egg whites, and extracts. Blend dry and wet ingredients together. Add a bit of water if it looks to dry.

Spread into a 9x9 pan OR separate into 6 small loaves in a loaf tin. Bake for 20 minutes, or until it looks done.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION

ENTIRE BATCH:
CAL 859
FAT 5g
CRB 65g
PRT 180g

FOR 6 BARS: (EACH)
CAL 144
FAT 1.2g
CRB 11g
PRT 30g

They are dry but taste good, and pack a lot of protein! You can warm them in the microwave and put a bit of butter on them. Or try warming a bar and then break it up and pour milk over it—like bread pudding, yum!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Strawberry Banana Protein Bar (variation of the Sweet Cherry Protein Bar)

1 cup wheat bran
5 scoops Perfect IsoPure Zero Carb protein isolate, vanilla flavor
¼ cup (30g) soy flour
2 oz. (1/4 cup) fat free cream cheese
2 servings “All Whites” egg white substitute
2 tsp canola oil
½ cup water
1 cup frozen strawberries
1.5 tsp imitation banana extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
non-stick cooking spray
Splenda to taste

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Chop strawberries finely in processor, or by hand. Mix together strawberries, cream cheese, water, oil, egg whites, and extracts. Blend dry and wet ingredients together. Add a bit of water if it looks to dry.

Spread into a 9x9 pan OR separate into 6 or 7 small loaves in a loaf tin. Bake for 20 minutes, or until it looks done.

margretol
07-03-2006, 07:06 AM
My homemade bar contains 140 calories, 1 g. fat, 15 g. carb, 18 grams protein. If that's "low-carb" enough for you, I'd be happy to share the recipe.

- Emma

Hi Emma!
I would like to have your recipe if you would be so kind

*supermomma*
07-03-2006, 07:17 AM
Why even eat protein bars? I'd stick to shakes for a quick fix, but that's just me.

And I wouldn't consider 15 grams of carbs low carb by any means.

margretol
07-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Why even eat protein bars? I'd stick to shakes for a quick fix, but that's just me.

And I wouldn't consider 15 grams of carbs low carb by any means.

I personally feel fuller longer if I eat a protein bar and it´s also a nice change from a shake, but that´s just me....

emmie
07-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Hi Emma!
I would like to have your recipe if you would be so kind

This bar is cake-like rather than chewy. You need to watch it carefully during the last few minutes of baking because it can dry out FAST. Once cooled I cut them into 9 squares, wrap each square in foil, and freeze them. I take them out as needed - they thaw at room temperature in a couple of hours.

Preheat oven to 350* Spray a 9x9 inch pan with Pam.

In a large mixing bowl combine:

6 eggwhites (I use extra large eggs)
1 c. lowfat cottage cheese (I use Friendship brand)
1 c. skim milk
1/2. tsp. salt
7 packets Splenda (these bars are not very sweet - use more Splenda if you wish)
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. almond extract (I've used vanilla here, too)
1 1/3 c. rolled oats (old fashioned, not quick)
1/2 c. wheat bran
1 tsp. baking powder
4 scoops unflavored whey powder (mine has 80 cals. and 20 g. protein per scoop.)

Mix this around until combined. I usually let it sit for a couple of minutes before pouring it into the pan so that the oats and bran can absorb some of the liquid. Pour into pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with some crumbs on it, usually about 20-25 minutes. Test it early so that you're not disappointed with dry bars!

I've made these substituting applesauce for the milk. Obviously this will change the carb. count on it. I've also made this using mashed banana instead of the milk - it made a moister, sweeter bar. Give them a try!

- Emma

RazzyDaz
07-03-2006, 09:09 PM
I generally don't eat protein bars, unless I'm on the go and have nothing else to eat. However, I have found that Labrada bars are the best tasting w/ lots of protein. The Carmel Cooking Twist if my favorite, it taste like a Twix. They have different flavors. They also have a cookie bar that's made from Oatmeal, which is great if you want something sweet. Stick it in the microwave for 5-8 seconds and it's like a cookie, but w/ 30 grams of protein. Here is a link if you are interested.

http://labrada.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=protein_bars

ChrystalR
07-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the recipes ladies. Go figure that once I find some that I like the guy that's helping me with my contest takes out protein powders and bars al-together... How rude huh!!

TTFN!
~C

Mango
07-04-2006, 04:08 PM
I can understand the bar removal, but what about the powder?! What is he having you eat post workout?!

ChrystalR
07-04-2006, 04:37 PM
See I have a hard time with the bar removal because I was making them - I can understand the ones you buy being phased out but damn it!! hehe. Post workout I usually will eat some egg whites with a couple bites of fruit. He hasn't really said what I should eat after workouts but I figured those were faster absorbing than meats... perhaps I'm wrong?? ~shrug~ Working ok for now LOL

margretol
07-19-2006, 09:28 AM
I generally don't eat protein bars, unless I'm on the go and have nothing else to eat. However, I have found that Labrada bars are the best tasting w/ lots of protein. The Carmel Cooking Twist if my favorite, it taste like a Twix. They have different flavors. They also have a cookie bar that's made from Oatmeal, which is great if you want something sweet. Stick it in the microwave for 5-8 seconds and it's like a cookie, but w/ 30 grams of protein. Here is a link if you are interested.

http://labrada.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=protein_bars

I agree with your RazzyDas, Labrada Caramel Cooking Twist is really good and my favorite! I also like Met-Rx Protein Plus, Chocolate Fudge.

Thanks Emmie for the recipe, I will give them a try!

SinOrSlim
10-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Check out the site below for delicious daily low carb recipes that are personally made each day!

andrerox80
10-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Check out the site below for delicious daily low carb recipes that are personally made each day!

a) this post is really old and it's so pointless to bring it back, b) there are tons of protein bar threads w/ recipes, c) you didn't post a site