PDA

View Full Version : Bulking Issue - Need help

amcrnilovic
06-23-2006, 10:06 AM
I recently did a couple of figure competitions and all the judges in both shows said I was too small and needed to put on more size and come in fuller. So, I was given a "muscle building" nutrition plan and workout to follow in order to put on muscle. I definitely need to increase the size or my arms/legs/glutes, but my waist is naturally wide so not there. The problem is that all the weight (which has only been about 4 pounds so far) seems to be going to my midsection and my arms and legs are still tiny. Is this common when one first starts to bulk or do I have a body type where maybe I should't be bulking? I am 5'6" and weigh about 119. I got my bodyfat taken yesterday and it was 11.5% which i guess doesn't mean much because if someone else took it, it could be totaly different, but at least it seems to be in a range where I am lean and can afford to put on just a bit of fat (not much) before my show in October before I start cutting. I plan to do much more bulking once that show is over to prepare for the next show in may 2007. I am afraid to bulk though because I don't want to look like a beach ball with 4 sticks coming out of it.

ChrystalR
06-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Well, it is quite possible that you could be putting on weight in your mid section first - specially if you're coming off of a hard cutting time. Your body will store fat closest to the places it needs it the most (internal organs) so, go go tummy fat! A good way to help avoid this - really REALLY work the legs/arms (places where you want the weight to go) and really focus on a good food diet.

That being said - what is your workout routine? If it's not right you could be just eating more for no reason other than to pack it on in the middle.

amcrnilovic
06-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Well, it is quite possible that you could be putting on weight in your mid section first - specially if you're coming off of a hard cutting time. Your body will store fat closest to the places it needs it the most (internal organs) so, go go tummy fat! A good way to help avoid this - really REALLY work the legs/arms (places where you want the weight to go) and really focus on a good food diet.

That being said - what is your workout routine? If it's not right you could be just eating more for no reason other than to pack it on in the middle.

I don't notice fat so much as bloating and water retention. I am doing a 4 day split right now with heavy weights.

Mon - shoulders/bi's/abs - 30 min HIIT
Tues - quads and back (with personal trainer so I usually do reps past failure)
Weds - 45 min steady state/abs
Thurs - hams/back- (with personal trainer so I usually do reps past failure)
Fri - Chest/tri's/abs - 30 min HIIT
Sat - 45 min spin class - abs/calves
Sun - rest

I have 1700 cals on workout days (4 starchy carbs over 6 meals with one being hi GI carb right after workout)

1450 on non-weight training days (2 starchy carbs/5 meals)

My protein is about 1.25 x bodyweight

Previously to this for about 4 weeks I was taking in about 1200 cals. Alot of protein, very little carbs and fat.

Hfit
06-23-2006, 12:50 PM
There are several options - If you're training "heavy" now - train heavier. You can't spot reduce but you can certainly spot train. Go heavier on your weak points (arms and legs) For the glutes - squats squats squats!

The bloating, water retention and or fat gain in the midsection is normal and will soon reduce once your body get's back to a happy balance. Your diet and cardio seem in check. In order for you to make nice gains you have to fuel your body - so personally I would keep the calories consistant on a daily basis - except for your day off. Sounds like you have a lot of time before your next competition so don't be afraid to experiment.

amcrnilovic
06-23-2006, 06:57 PM
There are several options - If you're training "heavy" now - train heavier. You can't spot reduce but you can certainly spot train. Go heavier on your weak points (arms and legs) For the glutes - squats squats squats!

The bloating, water retention and or fat gain in the midsection is normal and will soon reduce once your body get's back to a happy balance. Your diet and cardio seem in check. In order for you to make nice gains you have to fuel your body - so personally I would keep the calories consistant on a daily basis - except for your day off. Sounds like you have a lot of time before your next competition so don't be afraid to experiment.

Thanks, that is encouraging. I will try my best to go heavier.

justagirrl
06-25-2006, 06:09 PM
IMO, your split is not optimal. I would suggest an upper/lower, push/pull 4 day split that targets each large muscle group twice per week instead of only once.

You're also doing a lot of cardio for someone wanting to gain muscle. I know you're trying to avoid fat gain but the cardio isn't going to help muscle gain either.

WillDeadliftForFood
06-26-2006, 01:51 AM
Cardio isn't going to give you great bulk gains, but I understand your fear of gaining too much bf before contest. Still, you could try cutting back on cardio for a little while, and if you (or your personal trainer) notice too much fat gain (there will probably be a little) you can always bring it back in.

Can you post your specific diet as well as specific workout routine? I'm curious what they have you on.

As for water retention, I agree that may be a lot of the weight/size. If your sodium intake has increased (which is going to happen if you're eating more of anything) your body will hold more water.

For your own benefit, do a little research in the exercise forum on training to/beyond failure, and the pros and cons. Be wary of overtraining.

amcrnilovic
06-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Cardio isn't going to give you great bulk gains, but I understand your fear of gaining too much bf before contest. Still, you could try cutting back on cardio for a little while, and if you (or your personal trainer) notice too much fat gain (there will probably be a little) you can always bring it back in.

Can you post your specific diet as well as specific workout routine? I'm curious what they have you on.

As for water retention, I agree that may be a lot of the weight/size. If your sodium intake has increased (which is going to happen if you're eating more of anything) your body will hold more water.

For your own benefit, do a little research in the exercise forum on training to/beyond failure, and the pros and cons. Be wary of overtraining.

I actually don't have a specific routine. I have a few more sessions left with my trainer and then I plan on a 4 day split. I am atcually using a routine found on this site. If you go on the main page, it is under the "12 Week Mass Building Program" I am using the 4 day split provided by the winner. It basically hits every bodypart from every angle. There are a lot of exercises per body part but each from a different angle (some compund and some isolation) and it is 2 sets for each exercise in the 7-11 rep range. I tried the chest workout and I was sore, which is a good thing. I prefer body part splits now while bulking and would save the push/pull or upper/lower type workouts someone suggested during the cutting phase.

As for my diet, I am eating 1.25 g protein per lb body weight but end up getting 1.5 g per lb, so I will just strive for that every day. I have starchy carbs at 4 meals per day on weight days and starches at two meals on cardio only days. I eat really clean except for one meal per week where I allow myself a roll or bread (depends on the restaurant I am at) but usually I have the bread with a salad so its not a total disaster. One of those 4 starches is my Post Workout meal and is protein powder and rice cakes (HI GI).