PDA

View Full Version : Handstands/HIIT better than cardio when bulking?

X-Manifest
06-23-2006, 04:33 AM
Hi all

I lift 4 times a week, eating large and all is well. I dont want to be incredibly huge,just want to put on some size from where i am now. I also do break dancing so cant be to big,need to still be agile but muscular for the moves i do. I would like to introduce as much fat buring as i can while building this mucle,im a beginner and it seems possible for the first 6 months or so before body reaches certain levels to build muscle while burning fat.

If i start doing HIIT, would i risk losing muscle?? apparantly its the best for fat burning?

Would do an hour work out lifting and say 20 min HIIT. Would this comprmize me gaining muscle?

Another thing....i would like to know what you would class handstands as? its quite intensive as one is contantly holding ones body weight using only the arms. During break dancing we are on our hands alot, works the shoulders and back very well. i would like to know, would something like this compramize me gaining muscle??

i dont want to stop my break dancing. I do more 'power' moves than the typical stand up cardio dance style so its not like im running a marathon. One thing i do is inverted pushups (power pushups). what would you class this as? HIIT, or actual muscle building?? Main question is,will it slow me down and conflict with my muscle gaining.

Thanks.

imperfectly_lou
06-23-2006, 06:47 AM
HIIT is super intense and hard on the body so it really should be limited to 1-2 times a week for max of 15-20mins per session when bulking.

X-Manifest
06-23-2006, 06:52 AM
My work out schedule is wo mon/tues,wed off, wo thur/fri weekend off! Mondays and Thur i do biceps/chest, and tue and fri shoulders/lats/back and legs. I assume wed and sun would be good times for HIIT. Other than that, does my schedule look ok in terms of enough time for the various body parts to repair and rest. im new to this.

reflexions
06-23-2006, 07:00 AM
I wouldn't even bother with HIIT. When your bulking you need calories. If you are intent on doing cardio, then perform low intensity cardio which in turn will lead to greater fat loss than HIIT.

Best of luck. :)

X-Manifest
06-23-2006, 07:02 AM
I would have opted for low intensive cardio but i thought one would lose more muscle than doing HIIT surely. HIIT also give you that afterburn effect. Surely 60 min of cardio is going to result in muscle loss as opposed to short burts of HIIT?

emunah
06-23-2006, 07:15 AM
True HIIT is less catabolic.

I would first change your routine to hit muscles more than once a week. As for cardio, some people do it when bulking, others don't. But if you're looking to bulk,why do you care about an after burn?

X-Manifest
06-23-2006, 07:32 AM
I care about that as I want to stay failry ripped while putting on muscle,for beginners like me this is doable apparantly. You say i should hit muscles more than once a week. Im doing each muscle twice a week arent i?

<Mondays and Thur i do biceps/chest, and tue and fri shoulders/lats/back and legs.>

should i be doing more?