PDA

View Full Version : Breaking plateus

deedlit
06-22-2006, 10:05 PM
I've been reading the posting in the forums for a while and I've acquired a lot of useful information. The journals are quite inspirational and the improvements are amazing. After many many months of reading the forums I've brought up the courage to register and post... :)

I've always been pretty active and I've been training hard for the past year. I have reduced my body fat by 10%, it is now at 20% and I seem to be stuck here for quite about 3 months already. I'm not sure what else I could do to change that. I would like to reduce it to 15%.

In terms of training, I do about 1 hour of cardio 6x a week and I lift 4-5x a week.

My diet is pretty clean (I think...) , the ratios are 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat.

In terms of supplements, I take multivitamins and fish oil.

I take protein shakes when I don't have much time to make a proper meal.

Sorry the post is so long. I do appreciate any advice you can provide me :).

Thanks!

Cgirl
06-22-2006, 10:29 PM
You should try changing your training routine. Maybe switch up your lifting split (not sure what you are doing now) and definitely get some different cardio in...try switching to a couple HIIT sessions instead of the long cardio. In terms of your diet, i would prolly need a little more info to give you my advice.

WillDeadliftForFood
06-23-2006, 12:24 AM
^^^^^^^

More info needed.

Although HIIT is an excellent suggestion.

mommy*2*3
06-23-2006, 04:49 AM
Hi there :) Congrats on your progress so far. I'd like to start by saying that our bodies will naturally become a bit more resistant to losing bf once they hit the 20% mark or so. This threshold is individual based on a few factors mainly genetics. Our bodies like to hold on to more fat naturally because we're females ;)

That said, it's possible to convince the body to shed more fat by changing things around. What kind of cardio are you doing? Is it fasted cardio or is it after you've trained? All these things make a difference. You may want to change the type of cardio that you're doing. Our bodies become used to cardio routines and over time we burn less calories/fat by performing the same exercise. You may want to mix in more intense sessions for shorter amounts of time, also mix up running w/ stationary bike, spinning, etc.

The other factor is your diet. This may need to be changed a bit. Although you've had good progress so far to get down to a lower bf% level requires more stringent eating. First, be honest with yourself as far as what you eat on a daily basis. Keep track of all your food on fitday.com for a week to see where you're at calorie and macro wise. Log everything that you put in your mouth because even bytes of this and bytes of that will hinder your fatloss. Once you've done that you may want to change your ratios and switch to a 40./40/20 plan. What kind of carbs are you eating? Make sure they're low GI and you may want to center most of them around your workouts tapering them down towards the evening. This is just one suggestion of many ...but you definately need a change to break the plateau.

deedlit
06-23-2006, 07:50 AM
Thank you all for reading my thread and giving me suggestions. Mommy*2*3 thank you for your kind words :).

I apologize for not providing more information.

My workout splits are as follows:

Mondays
AM: Weight training for about 60 minutes(Chest, biceps, abs)
PM: Spinning (45 minutes)

Tuesdays
AM: Weight training for about 45 minutes (Back, shoulders, triceps)
After the weights I hit Spinning for 45 minutes

Wednesdays
AM: Full body weight training for 50 minutes (with a trainer)
PM: Spinning (45 minutes)

Thursdays
AM: off
PM: Spinning

Fridays
AM: Full body weight training for 50 minutes (with a trainer)
followed by low intensity cardio (elliptical, treadmill or treadclimber)

Saturdays
AM: Weight training for about 40 minutes (Mainly abs and other weak muscles of my body)
Followed by spinning (usually for more than 60 minutes)

Sundays
Weight training for 60 minutes (Legs, glutes, Abs)

My stats: 5'1" 102 lbs
A general idea of how much weight I use during training:

Bench press: 45 lbs
bicep curls: 15 lbs/arm
tricep extensions: 15 lbs/arm Dips: 120 lbs
leg presses: 160 lbs

Just a rough idea :)

thanks a bunch!