PDA

View Full Version : Question. really confused here, need good advise plz :)

Lisa_Marie
06-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Hello people,
i have a couple of questions that i hope will be no bother.
do i need to add sugar to my postworkout shake? i've read this alot and i've been doing it but someone advised me not to add it. now i'm confused and wonder if i'm getting it all wrong. you see, i'm aiming to add mass and i makesure i workout hard with heavy weights for about an hour?
also, i'v invested in maximuscle. is this really as good as people say it is? i've only used it this week. just want to makesure that i've got a bang for my buck ;)
one more question, is it safe to mix products? i mixed maximuscle and sports tech together today. just want to to know if this is safe or if it's a waste of time...???
thanks alot guys

darkangel
06-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Theories vary, but here's a link that may be helpful...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mohr114.htm

I wouldn't just "add sugar;" there are post-workout drinks made for this purpose. Maltodextrin is the key ingredient.

imperfectly_lou
06-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Most people use dextrose in their post workout shake. The amount varies depending on what other carb sources you are using with your shake. Because I have 200ml skim milk as well, I just use 15g of dextrose but I have heard some people use up to 50g.

DUMB BELLE
06-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Exactly Darkangel, and it's an awesome article on post-workout nutrition.

After training, your body is depleted of essential nutrients and glycogen in the muscle. If these nutrients are not replaced immediately after training your body will be in a catabolic (muscle-wasting) state.

Therefore, your post-workout nutrition should amplify the level of insulin (stimulated by taking high GI carbs such as white bread, potatoes, white rice or a high carb shake etc.). This insulin in your blood will help drive more muscle building nutrients into your targeted muscle cells.

When you consume SUGAR, the body first breaks sucrose into fructose and glucose. Taking it will cause a rapid insulin response but not AS high as that caused by GLUCOSE!

DUMB BELLE
06-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Hey Lisa Marie, just so you don't get confused by all the terminology - I just want to point out to you that GLUCOSE is also known as DEXTROSE.

So we actually all in agreement that this is a better option for your post-workout shake than sugar!

Lisa_Marie
06-23-2006, 11:38 AM
hey. i mean't dextrose. sorry, to me, they're both the same thing ;) someone advised me not to include carbs in my post workout shake as it's mean't to be useless. this baffed me. but your explanation for it is more realistic.
is maximuscle any good? i've paid peas for it and just want to know if it's any good? also, like i said in my opening post, is mixing products okay? protein powder with another protein powder?
thank you for all your help.

DUMB BELLE
07-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Sorry LM, I'm really not very clued up on Maximuscle as we get totally different products here in SA and most of the imported products are too expensive locally, so I haven't tried many of them. Maybe try asking about this in the supplement section where others who HAVE tried it can give you some feed back.
I don't THINK mixing products is a problem depending on what you want but make sure to read the labels carefully so that you not counteracting any ingredients.

PS: Whey is an excellent post-workout protein as it has a fast absorbtion rate.

abcreations
07-07-2006, 02:08 PM
I would not recomend this to anyone that is on the high side of normal with their blood sugar. Anyone that is Insuline Resistant, Pre-Diabetic or Diabetic should deffinatly not do this.

DUMB BELLE
07-08-2006, 03:56 AM
I would not recomend this to anyone that is on the high side of normal with their blood sugar. Anyone that is Insuline Resistant, Pre-Diabetic or Diabetic should deffinatly not do this.

Are you refering to Maximuscle in your above statement?