PDA

View Full Version : Question about diet ratios vs. Calories

testdog65
06-22-2006, 06:37 AM
Hi all! I've been lurking for awhile but have a question that I haven't seen addressed yet.

I am currently getting 1500 calories per day. I'm trying to up this gradually as I've discovered that I've been eating way under maintenance and have put my body into starvation mode. Also, I'm 5' 7" and currently weigh around 122-125.

So, I keep reading that protein intake should be 1 kg per pound of body weight. For me, that's 125 grams per day.

I also keep seeing that folks are trying for ratios of 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat per day. (I use fitday to track this.)

But, what I'm finding is that as I'm increasing my calories, my protein ratio is going down if I try and stick with the 125 grams of protein per day.

Am I supposed to eat more protein so the ratios stay close to 40/40/20? Or am I supposed to forget about the ratios and keep protein at 125 grams per day? And, if yes to keeping protein at 125 grams per day, then is there a way to determine how much fat and carbs should make up the rest?

Hope that all makes sense. Any help would be appreciated. You ladies are great and I've gotten so much information from these boards already!

~Ellen

daYDreAmErX
06-22-2006, 06:46 AM
Actually, your protein intake should be between 1-1.5 g per pound of body weight and fat intake 1.3-1.4 g per pound of body weight. The rest should go for carbs.

I don't follow the 40/40/40, but that's what everybody told me when I asked the question before :D

Are you training a lot ? What is your body type ? The more info you give us, the more info we'll be able to give you back !!!

Have a good day !

BiologyBabe
06-22-2006, 06:50 AM
Hi all! I've been lurking for awhile but have a question that I haven't seen addressed yet.

I am currently getting 1500 calories per day. I'm trying to up this gradually as I've discovered that I've been eating way under maintenance and have put my body into starvation mode. Also, I'm 5' 7" and currently weigh around 122-125.

So, I keep reading that protein intake should be 1 kg per pound of body weight. For me, that's 125 grams per day.

I also keep seeing that folks are trying for ratios of 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat per day. (I use fitday to track this.)

But, what I'm finding is that as I'm increasing my calories, my protein ratio is going down if I try and stick with the 125 grams of protein per day.

Am I supposed to eat more protein so the ratios stay close to 40/40/20? Or am I supposed to forget about the ratios and keep protein at 125 grams per day? And, if yes to keeping protein at 125 grams per day, then is there a way to determine how much fat and carbs should make up the rest?

Hope that all makes sense. Any help would be appreciated. You ladies are great and I've gotten so much information from these boards already!

~Ellen

Hi there-

Try this...

1 gram protein (4 calories per gram) per pound bodyweight =
20% of daily calories from Fat (9 cal. per gram of fat)=

subtract the above from your daily total caloric intake and the rest is carb calories (4 cal per gram)

its a general guideline, but really works!

emunah
06-22-2006, 02:40 PM
That's why ratios are meaningless.

Base it on grams, not ratios.

imperfectly_lou
06-22-2006, 04:02 PM
That's why ratios are meaningless.

Base it on grams, not ratios.

Agreed. I would be inclined to go with closer to 1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight as well. Follow this with 0.3 - 0.5g of fat per lb of bodyweight and a minimum of 30g of fibre a day. The residual is carbs.

sherdi
06-22-2006, 04:21 PM
Actually, your protein intake should be between 1-1.5 g per pound of body weight and fat intake 1.3-1.4 g per pound of body weight. The rest should go for carbs.

I don't follow the 40/40/40, but that's what everybody told me when I asked the question before :D

Are you training a lot ? What is your body type ? The more info you give us, the more info we'll be able to give you back !!!

Have a good day !

Protein is meant to be between 1-1.5, but fat, should be around 0.3 to 0.4 not 1.3-1.4. That would be a lot of fat!! :eek: Then depending on what you want to aim for, for calories, the rest should be good quality carbs.

imperfectly_lou
06-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Thanks Sherdi... just fixed up my typo :)

testdog65
06-22-2006, 04:39 PM
Wow, thanks for all the great responses!

So, it looks like I can get more calories from protein than I have been. But there seems to be a differing opinion on the calories from fat. Any other opinions on that?

Thanks...

~Ellen

imperfectly_lou
06-22-2006, 04:45 PM
Because you are a little underweight, I would be inclined to go with the higher end of the range for fat. 0.3g on 122lbs is only 37g of fat. I would go closer to about 45g of fat daily.

testdog65
06-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Because you are a little underweight, I would be inclined to go with the higher end of the range for fat. 0.3g on 122lbs is only 37g of fat. I would go closer to about 45g of fat daily.

Yup, I'm trying to bulk. I'm skinny fat, and my focus at the moment is adding muscle. I'll go with the high end of the fat range, then. Thanks!

imperfectly_lou
06-22-2006, 05:00 PM
If you are trying to bulk, 1500cals is not going to cut it hon..... Most people need in excess of 1800-2000cals per day before they start adding muscle. If you have been in a calorie deficit for some time, I recommend you add 50-100cals per week and slowly increases your cals to a min of 1800.

testdog65
06-22-2006, 05:43 PM
If you are trying to bulk, 1500cals is not going to cut it hon..... Most people need in excess of 1800-2000cals per day before they start adding muscle. If you have been in a calorie deficit for some time, I recommend you add 50-100cals per week and slowly increases your cals to a min of 1800.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing. I've been getting about 1300 calories a day for at least a year - maybe two. So, I've been increasing slowly over the last couple of weeks, and will continue to do so.

Thanks to all the great advice I've read on these boards, I've learned a thing or two about NOT starving myself in order to get the body I want. What a shock that I actually needed MORE calories!

~Ellen