PDA

View Full Version : hi everyone

flipcv
06-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Hi everyone,
I have been lifting on and off for the past few years, and more seriously for the past year or so. I used to run college track, and have been more or less doing the olympic style lifts we did during practice. I do absolutely no cardio right now, I had gone overboard a while ago and was doing an hour in the morning and an hour at night when i quit track. I got burned out and havent done cardio since, just lifting.
I would eventually like to compete, but i dont know if i have the right body type for it. I would like some advice on what i should concentrate on now in the gym, and how to get back into doing cardio and what type to do?

also I am a little over 5-5 and right now i weight around 130, and my body fat calculator says im around 17%.

I put up some pics hoping that will help...
thanks!

Luvdogs
06-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Hi Flip, welcome to the boards! You look like you have a nice base already. Some good muscle there and your lats are wide! What is your diet like and what is your training like now? I would probably just start out with two days of cardio and see how that goes along with eating properly and weight training. Then you can adjust as you go. Is your goal to build more mass? Are you thinking of competing in bodybuilding, figure or fitness? Those are probably some of the questions that would be helpful for others to give you some good advice!

flipcv
06-22-2006, 07:40 AM
I think that I would like to compete in figure. Right now i lift twice a week-

Day 1
Squats 3x10
Stiff leg dead lifts 3x10
flat bench 3x10
DB rows 3x10

Day 2
Front squats 3x10
incline bench 3x10
DB shoulder press 3x10
Upright rows 3x10
seated cable rows 3x10

I would like to add chinups, but the only place to do them is on the assisted machine.

I am a very picky eater, which is one of my main probs. I try to eat as clean as I can, with a lot of veggies and meat but i hate eggs, cottage cheese and oatmeal lol.

rayteresa4
06-22-2006, 08:53 AM
Wow - you have afantastic base - your lats are great, and so are your shoulders...you have very good genetics. Fortunately, I too have been blessed with nice lats and shoulders - both of which a lot of women have to work very hard for...so you are off to a great start...keep at it. With your genetics, I would suggest going for bodybuilding indeed. You can do both figure and bodybuilding, but you would definitely succeed very well in bodybuilding with more training and dicipline. I am competing in an all natural competition in August through the INBF - check them out at www.inbf.net . All atheletes are drug and polygraph tested, so you know it is by hard a**ed work that they have gotten where they are. I would suggest finding a good personal trainer who has trained for or trained competitors before...someone who has good credentials, and references. Ideally, this person would also be a certified nutritionist, or you need to seek out a certified nutritionist - again with good credentials, and references. Do not take nutritional advice from your personal trainer if they are not a certified nutritionist...a PT without nutritional certification can only make suggestions and guide you, but legally cannot give you dietary information to match your body. You can contact Denise James (my tainer and nutritionist) through www.unitedfitness.org , or denisejames@unitedfitness.org. Tell her that Teresa Johnson sent you to her for advice. She is a great person, and loves helping others succeed in this.

Keep up the good work, start adding a half hour of cardio a couple of times a week at this point, and maybe increase your sets from 3 to 4 of each exercise.

Keep us all posted...you will do great.

T

WillDeadliftForFood
06-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Do you have a power rack in your gym? If so, there should be a bar across than you can do chinups on.

If not, use your squat rack and put a barbell on the highest pins, you can bend your legs and do chinups off of that.

Assisted machines usually have a way of locking the assistance bar in the down position so you can use it like a normal chinup bar. You use the weight selector pin to hold it down. If not, remove all of the weight and just push the bar down, they'll usually stay down from lack of counter-resistance.

flipcv
06-23-2006, 10:38 AM
There is a competition in my area in october. Would that give me enough time to get ready for a figure competition? Also, should I add in isolation exercises for more definition?

rayteresa4
06-26-2006, 08:38 AM
flipcv - a competition in October gives you plenty of time to prepare, you just have to be tough on yourself, and focus, focus, focus...you can do anything you want to as long as you are honest with your food, and exercise, and put both of your best feet forward...I have no boubt it is plenty of time for you to prepare.