PDA

View Full Version : I have a few questions about females and lifting...

Brokensteel
06-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Firstly, I'm a guy. My mom has decided to join the gym that I go to. She sees the transformations I've went through and wants me to help her change and I'm more than happy to help her. The problem is, I'm stumped. She wants me to put her a routine together, but do I tell her to do the same I do? Of course, I train for mass, she doesn't. Does she do a different amount of sets and reps?

I don't think I should put her on a 5 day spilt, as I'm on, but rather a full-body 3 day workout and 2 cardio days.

Thanks for any help. Also, if there are any links, please send 'em my way.

fitinidaho
06-21-2006, 09:45 PM
First of all...tell us her goals :)

Brokensteel
06-21-2006, 09:49 PM
Of course...>_<
She says she wants to lose weight, but that isn't necessarily what she needs to do. She needs to drop some bodyfat. I'm not for certain what it is, but I'd say it's in the 20 - 25% range. I'm mainly confused on the routine/spilt and the reps/sets.

imperfectly_lou
06-21-2006, 10:42 PM
What you have proposed sounds like a good beginning. I recommend you check out Terracotta's webpage

http://terracotta2.googlepages.com/

And remember, 80-90% of what you look like is due to diet. So unless your mum commits to a good nutrition program, she may not see results.

arose70
06-22-2006, 06:39 AM
you should have her do a routine similar to yours. Like Lou said, the only reason you are training for mass is because you are eating for mass. She would be eating to cut bodyfat.

I agree with you, a good full body program would be helpful for a beginner to get her used to the movements and the weight. She should start light (12-15 reps) for the first couple weeks and then have her go heavy there after (6-10 reps). All the same exercises you do though, squats, deads, bench, pull ups, dips, rows, etc. Good luck :)