PDA

View Full Version : Coming back from cutting diet

EmAzing
06-21-2006, 06:07 PM
I recently lost alot of weight on my cutting diet on which I eliminated almost all carbs and cut calories. I started cutting too many calories and now I need to get back to something a bit more normal.
So, my question is, has anyone ever gone into the too extreme direction by cutting too many calories and had to come back? What is the best way to do this so that my bf can stay the way that is is right now?
I'm really worried.
Thanks in advance.

alohafitness
06-21-2006, 10:12 PM
It is really good that you spoke up about this! I ended up having an eating disorder trying to get out of competition diet mode. The best thing to do is add back slowly, because your body is not used to the foods you eliminated. You should post a sample of your diet so people can review it and make suggestions. I would start by adding back complex carbs (oats, sweet potato, brown rice) at each meal, just 1/4 of a cup at a time, so your body gets used to them again. I would also take probiotics like acidolopholus to help get the healthy bacteria back into your digestive track and that will help ease the bloating of adding back more carbs/fiber and such. And you will notice yourself soften up a little, and you can't trip out on that or be hard on yourself about it! Just be patient and focus on being healthy and energetic. That's what I learned from my experience.

mnways
06-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Breakfast is my fave! i go over board like 800 cals ... i feel it keeps my hunger down all day.. i eat around 2000 cals. I think whatever you find works is the best. I think without my big breakfasts my overall calories would increase alot otherwise.

mnways
06-21-2006, 10:23 PM
sorry replied to the wrong tread! sorry!

EmAzing
06-21-2006, 11:59 PM
It is really good that you spoke up about this! I ended up having an eating disorder trying to get out of competition diet mode. The best thing to do is add back slowly, because your body is not used to the foods you eliminated. You should post a sample of your diet so people can review it and make suggestions. I would start by adding back complex carbs (oats, sweet potato, brown rice) at each meal, just 1/4 of a cup at a time, so your body gets used to them again. I would also take probiotics like acidolopholus to help get the healthy bacteria back into your digestive track and that will help ease the bloating of adding back more carbs/fiber and such. And you will notice yourself soften up a little, and you can't trip out on that or be hard on yourself about it! Just be patient and focus on being healthy and energetic. That's what I learned from my experience.

Thank you Alohafitness! you have no idea what a relief it is to see that you can relate.

A typical day is like this:

Breakfast: Protien shake (light soymilk and whey)
lunch : Steamed spinach or steamed vegetables
Dinner: asparagus, zucchini, green beans or cauliflower.
snack: Small protein shake or cottage cheese

Usually in between meals I'll snack on vegetables, like cucumbers or maybe a rice cake, and green tea.

I realize my diet is needing alot more protien, calories and fat... and I'll begin to incorporate it. I'm just afraid of gaining weight back.

alohafitness
06-22-2006, 02:13 AM
Thank you Alohafitness! you have no idea what a relief it is to see that you can relate.

A typical day is like this:

Breakfast: Protien shake (light soymilk and whey)
lunch : Steamed spinach or steamed vegetables
Dinner: asparagus, zucchini, green beans or cauliflower.
snack: Small protein shake or cottage cheese

Usually in between meals I'll snack on vegetables, like cucumbers or maybe a rice cake, and green tea.

I realize my diet is needing alot more protien, calories and fat... and I'll begin to incorporate it. I'm just afraid of gaining weight back.

Hey, don't thank me! But do this: go see a therapist. I had to because of how I think/feel about food (especially carbs+fat= enemies) and gaining weight (I used to be fat and I'm terrified of being fat). It is totally normal to go through this after a cutting diet (especially if you were ever chubby or overweight). But you obviously understand that you are undernourished and that this is hurting you physically and mentally. I had been cutting and competing for a year and was a mess but I didn't want to sacrifice one ounce of my physique for my health or peace-of-mind. That backfired (and now I'm picking up the pieces). So this is my "if I knew then what I know now" speech.

As for the diet, it would be good to consult a nutritionist but in my experience most of them don't understand the cutting diet, however, you should investigate in your area. There's a lot of really knowledgeable people on this site, so I hope they see your post. First off, there must be more protein. You can add 4-5 eggwhites or 3-4 oz. fish or chicken to lunch and dinner. I would start with the eggwhites and fish for a week before I tried chicken, because it will be easier on your stomach. You also need more omega fats, and my fav way to get them is flaxseed meal--add 1 tbsp. to each of your shakes, that way you get a little fiber action too. Next, the complex carbs. I would take that slow. I would start with 1/8c. of raw oats mixed in with each of your shakes for a week, or you might try 1/4c. just in the morning--but 1/4c. was a lot for me in the beginning so that's why I said to split it up. You will feel more bloated b/c carbs cause water retention BUT the payoff is you'll have more energy. After a week I would add another 1/4 c. to either lunch or dinner or split between them (sweet potato, brown rice, oats). Also, try other veggies: bell peppers, bok choy, cabbage, tomatos, etc. Look at the recipes thread to find some ways to diversify your diet. And I hope you're taking supplements: at least a multi-vitamin & calcium citrate, especially since you don't eat enough. And I should clarify: I am not an expert, this is all IMO. Best advice: Be patient with your body, it is the only one you'll ever have so be nice to it! Please feel free to PM me and tell me what you think.

emunah
06-22-2006, 07:09 AM
Hon, you REALLY are starving yourself. You need healthy fats and much more protein. You've probably already lost a lot of muscle on that diet....

Health is more important.