PDA

View Full Version : How do i begin?

Army mom of 2
06-21-2006, 10:58 AM
I'm 42 and 5' 5, 137 lbs. Looking to lose about 10-15 lbs. and get in shape. After taking a good look in the mirror after years sitting on the sofa just won't work for me anymore.

I just don't know where to start? what to eat? how much should i exercise? or be taking supplements?

If anyone can offer any help i would appreciate it.

Thanks

terracotta
06-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Hi there! I highly recommend you go through my website
http://terracotta2.googlepages.com

hethr37
06-21-2006, 04:41 PM
Also try your local library, I started with the Body for Life book by Bill Phillips, which provides a great basic starting program including weight lifting and cardiovascular training as well as diet advice. Good book.

Army mom of 2
06-23-2006, 07:52 AM
Being new at this i can see where people go in the wrong direction and over doing it. I work out with 30 lbs. weights and doing cardo for about 30 minutes each and just started taking Ripped Fuel Extreme. Hoping to drop a few pounds and lift everthing up back where it should be. :)

Can anyone tell me more about Ripped Fuel? I'm going very slow with dosage i take 2 a day last night i noticed that when i tried to sleep i was like a fish out of water and i took 2 yesterday around 1pm.

Thanks

Sable_Strenua
06-23-2006, 07:24 PM
also, check out Terracotta's sticky, "the ultimate newbie thread":
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=659486

what is your current routine/diet like? you may be better off coming off of the Ripped Fuel and perhaps retweeking certain aspects of your workout/diet to achieve results. also, check out the supplement sub-forum of the female bodybuilding section

plus, there's product reviews in the "supplement reviews" forum

mommy*2*3
06-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Also try your local library, I started with the Body for Life book by Bill Phillips, which provides a great basic starting program including weight lifting and cardiovascular training as well as diet advice. Good book.

Great book! I agree...libraries have lots of good workout books. Body for Life is a great way to become educated on workout and meals...a very good way to start :)

mommy*2*3
06-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Being new at this i can see where people go in the wrong direction and over doing it. I work out with 30 lbs. weights and doing cardo for about 30 minutes each and just started taking Ripped Fuel Extreme. Hoping to drop a few pounds and lift everthing up back where it should be. :)

Can anyone tell me more about Ripped Fuel? I'm going very slow with dosage i take 2 a day last night i noticed that when i tried to sleep i was like a fish out of water and i took 2 yesterday around 1pm.

Thanks

I wouldn't recommend Ripped Fuel or any other fat burner for that matter, especially for someone just starting out. Supplements are very overated. You should really focus on your diet and your workouts and you will see great results with just the basics. I think fat burners and such are better for people who have their diets in check and need something to help them get through a plateau.

~Lisa~
06-27-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm 42 and 5' 5, 137 lbs. Looking to lose about 10-15 lbs. and get in shape. I just don't know where to start? what to eat? how much should i exercise? or be taking supplements?

Hey there!

I'm an Army wife, mother of two as well. :D Do you use the gym on base where you live? From your stats, it seems that an even combination of weight lifting and cardio would be really beneficial. You said you do 30 min stretches of cardio... do you do different things on different days? Changing up what you do and how often really surprises your body and makes it work the hardest!

And don't be afraid to lift heavy! You won't get huge and scary from it!! That muscle that you build will help you burn the fat off even faster. It works 24/7 at burning fat and calories... as opposed to your 30 minute cardio sessions a few times a week, know what I mean?

As for supplements, the only thing I'd suggest you might need would be a good whey protein powder. Most people don't get enough protein in one day's worth of food. Try and get 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight that you are. And drink a protein drink from this powder each day after your workout!! :D

Best wishes to you!
Lisa