PDA

View Full Version : body for Life workout tweeked!!Please advise

txgrl29
06-21-2006, 08:15 AM
Im 5'9, about 165,25%bf- large frame- very broad shoulders!!

I have been working out for a few years now and for the first time wanted to try the BFL workout. I put on muscle fast but I do have fat to loose still.
I want to get down to about 12-15% bf maybe even compete. Im worried that I will just go backwards if I do BFL, will it help me or hurt me. I kind of tweeked it a little. Let me know if this is just totally wrong or if it will help

workout
cardio 5 times week 30min
weight training
upper body 2 times a week - each muscle group - reps 12/10/8/6 superset with another workout for the same muscle group
example : biceps curls 12/10/8/6 superset with hammer curls 12/10/8/6
lower body-2 times a wk- same thing

kbdub
06-23-2006, 09:26 AM
if you're not doing the workout as printed then youre not doing BFL...youre just doing another split. I think the volume will get to be too much training upper and lower twice a week along with cardio 5 times a week, but it depends on how good of shape you are in and your diet/recovery abilities.

i would stick to the 2 alternating workouts hitting upper/lower 3 times every 2 weeks. keep in mind that you are goin to failure for every body part on your last set(the set with intensity of "10"). for this reason i think you will overtrain. i use a full body split 3x per week but train nowhere near failure 90% of the time.

if you are doing the cardio with the intensities stated in the book then you shouldnt be doing 30 min. if you can do 30 min then you arent giving it a true "10" and you are kidding yourself. start off with 3 cardio sessions a week and give it a true "10" when the workout calls for it and see how you feel.

the other half of the program is eating. if you dont' eat right then no amount of cardio will get you to your goals of 12% bf

BicepGurl
06-23-2006, 01:23 PM
I agree with kbdub on this one. You should do the body for life cardio with a true "10" for 20 minutes only. If you want to do 30 min cardio sessions, lower the intensity a bit.

What does your diet look like now? Body for life is a great way to start eating correctly. I don't know what kind of shape you are currently in, but I would concentrate on eating correctly before adding more cardio.

Good luck!

txgrl29
06-26-2006, 11:06 AM
I eat pretty clean and have a cheat day every week. I just feel like I dont get enough of a workout doing cardio just 3 times a week. I guess it is all psycological.