PDA

View Full Version : Thank God for my Ipod

Motivatedmom
06-21-2006, 08:05 AM
My husband bought me an Ipod Nano for Valentine's Day (I know, how romantic...lol) and it is one of the best tools I have found to motivate me during weight training and cardio. I have a ton of different music on it but I have a special section called "Workout Music" with nothing but really fast music that gets me going while at the gym. If I have a particularly hard set to do I can pick a really intense song and it really helps me focus. It also keeps me from getting caught up in the "hellos" with other people in the gym (until I'm done) because I've got headphones on. During HIIT, it keeps me from giving up on those tough intervals!

Anyone else use something like this to motivate them? Anyone know of any studies done on music and it's motivating effect on exercise?

Blau
06-21-2006, 08:07 AM
I always listen to music when working out, it helps keep you focused, and it makes you feel a little bit more comfortable. I've been thinking about getting on iTunes and making a workout playlist. I think I will now! :D

kbdub
06-21-2006, 08:57 AM
i have a few ipods for different situations...i usually use a shuffle mini or nano for lifting. i prefer the shuffle bc its not slick like the nano. music def helps me get the weight up when it gets heavy

energi
06-22-2006, 11:11 AM
My husband and I bought each other a Nano for valentines day - and we both love it! I too have a playlist specifically for working out. I also have another one for stretching and winding down.

I'm actually interested in finding some motivational podcasts for it - oh, and I put some photos of my baby on it when I need a good smile :)

daYDreAmErX
06-22-2006, 12:09 PM
I have different playlist for different workout... all the time ! When I feel to talk to everybody, I just remove one hearphone and people know what it means :D

It usually goes like this :

- Start cardio : Eminem
- Middle cardio : hard rock
- End cardio : something alternative or progressive or Janis Joplin :)

- Calisthenics : old rock and roll or blues
- Stretching : smooth rock (Nirvana, STP, 90's)
- Weight lifting : punk rock

All the time !!!

Motivatedmom
06-22-2006, 01:56 PM

That's awesome! I downloaded a bunch of old punk and it does work! It's so fast... My fav is progressive house, though....gets me in a trancelike state while lifting, total high.

coloBB
06-22-2006, 02:00 PM
my lifting partner is my motivation when i lift. But cardio would be impossible without my mp3 player!

LiftingIsLife
06-22-2006, 04:35 PM

That's awesome! I downloaded a bunch of old punk and it does work! It's so fast... My fav is progressive house, though....gets me in a trancelike state while lifting, total high.

the best 'heavy weight-lifting' musical motivation comes from the old hard rock genre, specifically, Led Zep, Boston, the Stones, and Aerosmith.

enjoy,
~lifer

Simpy
06-22-2006, 05:01 PM
LOVE Zep! D'yer Maker is my favorite song of all time. Can't make it through a single workout without listening to it at least once.

daYDreAmErX
06-22-2006, 05:12 PM
You should try The Ramones or the CDs "A tribute to the Ramones" with a lot of great bands... AMAZING for weight lifting !!!!

WillDeadliftForFood
06-23-2006, 12:30 AM
STP - smooth rock? Were Weiland dead, he'd be turning over in his grave ;) But I'm happy all of his fans haven't dissappeared :D

A female friend of mine used an iPod video for when she was doing machine cardio and stretching, and a nano for when she was lifting. Of course, the idea of her carrying 500 dollars in electronics to a city gym worried me slightly :(

wolfskin
06-27-2006, 11:22 PM
thats so much like me! even i like to have some nice "work out " music when i am into my routines.it gives me the necessary drive and the energy booster to carry on with even the worst possible reps. and at the end of my session i will actually dance around!still having that much energy you see.its all due to the fact that i am listening to music and that i dont have to concentrate solely on the exercises, they dont stress me out! its just one of those feelings that the music is with me!

i can understand why you like the Ipod so much... have to get myself a player soon... :)

~Lisa~
06-29-2006, 01:43 AM
I LOOOOOOOVE my pod!! I never go to the gym without mine either!! And I agree, having the headphones in keeps the people from harassing me. LOL!!