PDA

View Full Version : Will cardio hinder my muscle growth?

X-Manifest
06-21-2006, 03:24 AM
I wish to gain a bit of size. I dont however wish to bulk up enormously and have to go through an intense cutting stage. I would like to gain size but at the same time remain relatively/cut as I currently am. I understand no matter what in order to gain size i need a caloric excess. Am i right in saying that depending on how high this excess is will depend on how much muscle i gain (or gain fat if im not lifting regulary)? What im trying to say is....if i cut down on the carbs in order to stay quite ripped and lean, but kept my protein intake high, would this hinder the process of me gaining size alot? I know gaining muscle means gaining fat,but i would like to find a balance where im putting on as much muscle as i can while staying quite ripped. ?

I also would like to know if i should do my cardio work out before or after lifting, not long cardio only about 20 min.

My biggest fear is that doing cardio will hinder my process in gaining muscle...would it? or could it help staying ripped while gaining muscle (note im lifting too). The idea I have in mind is to lift to gain muscle,have plenty of protein, but then do cardio for 'toning' and fat burning (afterwards or before). If you cannot burn fat or stay ripped while gaining muscle, it seems totally pointless doing cardio while trying to gain muscle at all. ?

Or will it help burn fat and help keep me lean while building muscle. I wasnt as into this as I am now, but i used to notice muscle gains while staying quite ripped,this wasnt really lifting though,just pushups etc on a daily basis.

Also, would i want to be 5 x 5 style sets, or higher reps...i dont want to have hulk hogan gains,just put on some muscle. Apparanlty the lower the reps the more thick/bulky muscle one atains, where as higher reps would be for more lean muscle gain. I would like to go for the lean muscle gain i assume?...would 5 x 10 be ok for that? Keep in mind, im trying to gain as much muscle as possible while staying fairly ripped. If thats possible!

benjamin88
06-21-2006, 03:28 AM
cardio will help you burn calories, not nessercairly burn fat directly, the only use of cardio during a bulk is the health benifits to the heart, cardio is ok aslong as u eat to accomodate the calories burnt off, its easier to clean bulk to stay semi lean during a bulk, rather than do cardio imo, n scarp the low carb idea, if ur bulking u need carbs

benjamin88
06-21-2006, 03:30 AM
oh and another thing muscles either grow or dont grow, theres no such thing as lifting for toning etc, haha and if ur natural, i wouldnt fear geting hulk hogan gains as u called them

justagirl
06-21-2006, 03:32 AM
carbs will help you gain mass, don't go too low! cardio is best done after weights because the energy you have should be going towards proper form/lifting heavy. cardio after weights is best for fat loss as well because doing weights depletes your glycogen stores a bit, so you burn more fat. however, imho, after weights you should be focussing on pwo nutrition to help those muscles grow :)

cardio CAN hinder your muscle growth but as long as your calories can accomodate that kind of activity (as in, you're still on a calorie surplus even when the calories youve burnt through cardio are included) then go ahead and do it. you can stay RELATIVELY ripped but losing fat most likely won't happen. just work on maintaining it and be okay with the fact that you will gain SOME small amounts of fat. gain slowly (0.5lbs a week is the popular number here) and keep the diet clean

lower reps. you say you want to gain as much muscle as possible, and lower reps is what will do that for you. you can't gain the same amount of muscle but have the muscles be a different size or shape by using higher reps. all higher reps will help you accomplish is SLOWER progress. muscles get bigger or smaller, that's it. not longer, or leaner, or boxier. bigger, smaller. the overall shape of your muscles is determined by genetics (as far as i know) and the only thing you have control over is the size really. if you get bigger than you want, stop and know that you'll lose a little bit of muscle when you cut.

hope that helped, good luck!

justagirl
06-21-2006, 03:34 AM
oh and another thing muscles either grow or dont grow, theres no such thing as lifting for toning etc, haha and if ur natural, i wouldnt fear geting hulk hogan gains as u called them

yeah absolutely.. i hate that so many people think if they lift heavy the next day they'll wake up gigantic. a) like you said, steroids are often involved for guys that look HUGE. b) it's insulting for those who have to work EXTREMELY hard and clean bulk for months and months to gain lean mass and get anywhere close to hulk hogan gains

it's just not going to happen unless you intend for it too and even then the chances are slim

benjamin88
06-21-2006, 03:37 AM
^^ i have disagree, lower reps allows you to shift more weight and stimulate growth, regardless of pump, this only equaites for 10% muscle stimulus growth, 90% is damage by increaseing the weight, id keep reps below 8 and above 3

justagirl
06-21-2006, 03:40 AM
haha oh ****! i meant lower reps, HIGHER weight. i was talkinga bout the myth that higher reps = 'leaner, longer, toned' muscles being totally false and misleading

woops! thanks for pointing that out

benjamin88
06-21-2006, 03:43 AM
^^lol

X-Manifest
06-21-2006, 04:51 AM
so why do so many people (girls looking to slim down etc) do these effortless 'toning' exercises. Would you not burn more fat doing high reps lower weight....similar to cardio?

Which brings another question....what about cardio cause fat to be burnt....is it the fact that your heart is racing and in a certain state?

X-Manifest
06-21-2006, 05:00 AM
<cardio after weights is best for fat loss as well because doing weights depletes your glycogen stores a bit, so you burn more fat. however, imho, after weights you should be focussing on pwo nutrition to help those muscles grow >

I fully agree with pwo nutrition afterwards, but would it hurt to do a 20 min cardio session directly after the wo and afterwards have the nutrition,say shake and banana.

You mention that the cardio after wo will help burn more fat but at the end of the day you still want an excess of calories....is this purely for muscle building and repair? surely SOME of the excess will be stored as fat? or is the idea to try and burn as much fat as possible with the cardio afterwards,and then have the right excess amount of calories at the end of the day PURELY to repair and build muscle tissue and put on no fat at all. See what im getting at here?

justagirl
06-21-2006, 03:19 PM
so why do so many people (girls looking to slim down etc) do these effortless 'toning' exercises. Would you not burn more fat doing high reps lower weight....similar to cardio?

Which brings another question....what about cardio cause fat to be burnt....is it the fact that your heart is racing and in a certain state?

the point of lifting weights is to damage your muscle fibres so that they grow back bigger and stronger when you rest and eat properly (with a calorie surplus usually). the lean body mass that you gain through that burns fat. lifting heavy also burns more calories than lifting light because your muscles are doing more work. if you want to lift fast enough to get your heart rate up and use it as cardio, then uh, ok. not very effective but do what you want

you will most definitely gain SOME fat, like i said. how would you figure out EXACTLY how many calories your muscles need to grow bigger without adding excess fat? 0.5lbs a week is a slow way to gain which means you minimize fat gain, that's the best you can hope for

Miranda
06-21-2006, 11:00 PM
<I fully agree with pwo nutrition afterwards, but would it hurt to do a 20 min cardio session directly after the wo and afterwards have the nutrition,say shake and banana.

20 minutes of leisurely walking/swimming to help your legs recover, at most, and after the shake. if you perform too much volume on your legs
(lifting and running/HIIT) you will hinder results. legs simply need time to do some recovering on their own.

You mention that the cardio after wo will help burn more fat but at the end of the day you still want an excess of calories....is this purely for muscle building and repair? surely SOME of the excess will be stored as fat?

you should be in an anabolic state, all the time.
this means FOOD and a LOT of it, spread throughout the day. some of it wil be stored as fat, but you can keep it at minimum with a good clean diet.

or is the idea to try and burn as much fat as possible with the cardio afterwards, and then have the right excess amount of calories at the end of the day PURELY to repair and build muscle tissue and put on no fat at all. See what im getting at here?

it's not much use trying to 'burn as much fat as possible with cardio' if you're trying to bulk.
it sounds like you're trying to design a bra for the average human being here* :)
in fact, it's not much use doing cardio at all. cardio an sich doesn't burn fat. it creates a calorie deficit which helps you burn fat.
but you DO NOT WANT a calorie deficit if you need a calorie surplus!

what would happen if you did cardio and ate above maintenance? one of the effects of cardio is that you burn more fat afterwards (up to 24 hours if done correctly).
in theory, it could be possible that the body would use the released fatty acids as energy to build muscle. whether it does this if you're anabolic (and you need to be) . . . i honestly don't know.
in reality, it means you would have to know 100% how your body reacts to something and 100% when to eat what. most women
a) eat too little when bulking (and too little in general as well but that's another story),
b) tend to do too much cardio,
c) it is pretty much impossible to know thyself for 100% unless you work in a lab and use yourself as a guinea pig and
d) as stated above, cardio taxes your legs too much. see what i mean?

*females have two breasts. males have none. thus, the average human has one breast only.
but a bra with one cup ain't gonna sell, no matter what.