PDA

View Full Version : Protein Consumption and Metabolism

xer0xed
06-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Does anyone have any information about whether or not consumption of protein specifically increases the rate of metabolism? I notice that about an hour after I have a pure protein or protein-rich food I become extremely hungry, and was wondering if this has been confirmed or if I'm just tricking myself. I tried googling for this information, but kept getting results I wasn't looking for. =/

Your input and ideas are appreciated.

Macros
06-20-2006, 07:50 PM
you're probably getting hungry because low blood sugar level is one of the factors that triggers hunger and protein doesn't contribute significantly to it.

xer0xed
06-20-2006, 07:56 PM
you're probably getting hungry because low blood sugar level is one of the factors that triggers hunger and protein doesn't contribute significantly to it.

Would the fact that I have hypoglycemia have anything to do with the effects I notice after consuming a protein-rich food as opposed to one that is carb rich? If I don't consume protein, I never get that hungry at that rate of speed and I just find it really odd.

Khryz
06-20-2006, 08:12 PM
That is sort of odd, because protein is supposed to be the most hunger-satisfying out of all 3 macros. So the fact that it increases your hunger might be due to your condition but I'm just guessing.

However, protein does act like a natural thermogenetic due to the body being forced to burn calories in order to digest protein. 30% of the protein that you eat the body has to match to digest those calories, whereas carbs and fats are sub-10%.

Mango
06-20-2006, 08:15 PM
However, protein does act like a natural thermogenetic due to the body being forced to burn calories in order to digest protein. 30% of the protein that you eat the body has to match to digest those calories, whereas carbs and fats are sub-10%.

Bump.

Why would you only be consuming protein at a meal?? If you had some essential fatty acids with it, and a few vegetables, you'd feel fuller, longer. Fiber, ya know??

xer0xed
06-20-2006, 08:16 PM
That is sort of odd, because protein is supposed to be the most hunger-satisfying out of all 3 macros. So the fact that it increases your hunger might be due to your condition but I'm just guessing.

So could the calories being burned by the digestion of protein be sugar calories? And the resulting drop in blood sugar level is what causes me to feel hungry?

Edit: This is right after I work out too... I'm now thinking this might actually be the main cause.