PDA

View Full Version : Drinking during cardio

daYDreAmErX
06-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Hey,

Just wondering if it's okay to drink 1 scoop of gatorade in water while I'm jogging. That keeps me "alive" especially during the last 20 min. Is it okay or those carbs are gonna kill me ?

What do you usually eat after and before your cardio ? When I train then have cardio, I take my shake between... But when it is only cardio, what should I do ? Any good link or thread to refere myself to ?

Thanks.

PS.: BTW, thanks for helping me with my crazy schedule...

stacey 010
06-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Hey,

Just wondering if it's okay to drink 1 scoop of gatorade in water while I'm jogging. That keeps me "alive" especially during the last 20 min. Is it okay or those carbs are gonna kill me ?

What do you usually eat after and before your cardio ? When I train then have cardio, I take my shake between... But when it is only cardio, what should I do ? Any good link or thread to refere myself to ?

Thanks.

PS.: BTW, thanks for helping me with my crazy schedule...
I think it largely depends on your goal. For fat loss, nope you dont need it. I do cardio on an empty stomach and have teaspoon of glutamine in water 20mins before hand. then eat about 45mins later, protein and carbs.

If your training during the day (cardio that is) id leave it atleast 90mins before doing cardio after your last meal. If fat loss, id just eat protein and vegies and good fats before hand, but if not carbs, protein and vegies and good fats...but thats really getting fussy. Your meals should just be balanced.
Can you do cardio on an empty stomach? what sort of cardio do you do and how long for?

daYDreAmErX
06-20-2006, 07:15 PM
On cardio day, I usually eat 0.5 cup cottage cheese and 1 cup frozen mixed berries. Then I go jogging for about 55 min outside.

That's it. Anything else ?

Thanks !

imperfectly_lou
06-20-2006, 07:22 PM
If you are struggling to get through your cardio, you should try having some more carbs pre workout e.g. a banana instead of the berries.

stacey 010
06-20-2006, 07:30 PM
If you are struggling to get through your cardio, you should try having some more carbs pre workout e.g. a banana instead of the berries.

yup. i agree...more carbs...and just water...

Dogmama
06-21-2006, 04:26 AM
Depending on how many carbs I eat, sometimes I need something during cardio. I use cytomax at half the recommended level and a small scoop of vanilla protein powder. It tastes a little like a smoothie - just not as thick.

I've read that adding a little protein to your cardio drink helps because muscles can synthesis the protein during cardio. It was a peer reviewed article (not somebody's opinion) where they measured the protein uptake in the muscle.

They pointed out that this doesn't mean that protein during cardio is muscle sparing because their experiment did not address that. But, given what we know about muscles & protein, one could infer that adding a little protein to your cardio drink could help retain muscle mass, depending on other variables (e.g. diet & rest.)

Outdoor Girl
06-21-2006, 07:12 AM
I do one eight mile run once a week. By my estimation, I burn about 400-500 calories during that run. For me, performance is important, so I usually do the run after one or two meals in the day (not first thing). In this warmer weather, I do take along a sports drink, found an all natural solution (Gatorade really hurts my stomach - and I've given up processed sugars). It's called "Recharge" by Knudsen Juices (www.knudsenjuices.com) and I buy it at my local health food store - has the electrolyes I need, etc.

So, before my run, I've had a meal or two already, probably 4-6 glasses of water, during the run I take in about 200-300 calories of Recharge, I have another 2 cups of water waiting for me in the car that I drink while cooling down, and afterwards I try to take in another 100 or so extra calories as carbs that day. Seems to work well for me.

Hope this helps!

onebratt08
06-21-2006, 08:40 AM
I go hypo really easily, so I always have a sports drink when doing cardio. Usually, I will have Accelerade - more calories than Gatorade, but it has both protein and carbs so it's a slower burning fuel and it doesn't cause my blood sugar to spike up high and then drop. I also usually keep a gel pack around in case I get really hypo and start getting the dizzy spells and loss of peripheral vision associated with it. This has only happened probably once since I started using a sports drink during cardio.

kbdub
06-24-2006, 02:21 PM
yes its fine to drink gatorade before/during your workout. doing this is not goin to have a huge effect on your fat loss. it will be minimal and if anything you will have more energy to train harder for longer. however, you should water it down. the ideal carb ratio is 8 grams of sugar per surving...gatorade has 14-16 grams of sugar. if you just put twice as much water in as it calls for its optimal.

*supermomma*
07-01-2006, 03:12 PM
I think it largely depends on your goal. For fat loss, nope you dont need it. I do cardio on an empty stomach and have teaspoon of glutamine in water 20mins before hand. then eat about 45mins later, protein and carbs.

If your training during the day (cardio that is) id leave it atleast 90mins before doing cardio after your last meal. If fat loss, id just eat protein and vegies and good fats before hand, but if not carbs, protein and vegies and good fats...but thats really getting fussy. Your meals should just be balanced.
Can you do cardio on an empty stomach? what sort of cardio do you do and how long for?

I agree that the Gatorade isn't necessary, but neither is fasted cardio. And L-glutamine isn't really all that beneficial, so I don't know why you would bother taking it specifically before cardio...

If you're interested:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461188
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459884

Fasted cardio is not as straight-forward as you would make it sound either, there are wildly differing opinions that anyone considering it should be aware of before making that decision:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=835725