PDA

View Full Version : Birth Control and Body Building

CarolinaGurl
06-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Hey there ladies,

I have a quick question for all the competitors out there. I have been told that I should be back on birth control (I have been off for 3 years) especially since I am planning to compete next year as well. I have been told that it keeps your estrogen levels in check better during training.

Have any of you heard about this and if you have a story of your own I would like to know what you think.

thanks you ~Tyra

alohafitness
06-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Well, I would assume that depends on the person. Me, I am 26 yrs. old and was told not to take the pill during comp. prep. because it would cause my estrogen to rise and subsequently I would retain bodyfat. I worked hard through diet and training (no "help") to create an anabolic environment in my body--I didn't get my period and my muscles got nice and hard and lean. BUT, you're a bit older than me. Not having enough estrogen is also a problem, and that's why a lot of older female/male bodybuilder use hormone replacement therapy. There's actually a section about that in the steroids forum, so you might want to take a look at it and ask your question there. Hope this helps.

Hfit
06-21-2006, 08:48 AM
I also think it depends on the individual. There are many benefits to the pill that women over look. 1) Keeps your body at a steady hormone level which helps eliminate fatigue, mood swings, cravings and hormone fluctuations that can jeopardize training. In my past competitions I wasn't on the pill however I just started Seasonale 6 months ago becuase my cycles were too severe - to the point that I couldn't get out of bed. So for me it has been a blessing in my training! It's a very low dose pill. My progress is made through diet and hard training. You’ll just have to experiment and see what works for you.