PDA

View Full Version : Need help starting a muscle building diet

TheGenius64
06-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Hey everyone. I need some help. First off I'm 208lbs. 6' 1.5" tall BF% unknown. I'm trying to put on some lean muscle so i've been reading and I've figured that i need to be eating around 3120 calories per day. (15 cals per lb.) Since I'm going 40carbs/40protein/20fat I need 312g of each carbs and protein, and 70 grams of fat. . .

Does all this seem right? This seems like alot to eat and I'm having trouble splitting this up into 6-7 meals in one day and finding the food to do it with. So if you have any advice on how to split this up into a regular meal routine that would be great. Thanks.

Miranda
06-20-2006, 04:54 AM
Hey everyone. I need some help. First off I'm 208lbs. 6' 1.5" tall BF% unknown. I'm trying to put on some lean muscle so i've been reading and I've figured that i need to be eating around 3120 calories per day. (15 cals per lb.)

is dat per pound of lean mass? you don't need to eat to keep your fat mass alive. figure out what you BF% is. there are BF% calculators on the net. they're not very accurate but they do give you a starting point.

This seems like alot to eat and I'm having trouble splitting this up into 6-7 meals in one day and finding the food to do it with.

i don't think you have to eat 3000+ cals every day. vary the intake so that you eat more on lifting days and less on rest days. start the bulk at maintenance level and add 100-250 cals to the weekly average.

i'm currently bulking myself and, yes, stuffing your face every day can be a chore :p if you can't stomach that much food, try liquid shakes - not the horrible commercial ones though, just milk n casein/whey n fruit.

X-Manifest
06-21-2006, 07:42 AM
I have been wondering about the exact same thing nad its been bogling my mind...a few things here.

TOTAL Weight: 154 lb.
BF: 17%
lean mass: 128 lb

I have been quite active up until now as I break dance which often involves some intense cardio as well as putting on muscle....eg, using only your arms to keep your entire body off the ground for periods up to 30 seconds. Similar to gymnastics i guess. I am fairly ripped from this....however i wish to pack on a bit more muscle and gain a bit of size! I know this means lots of carbs,lots of protein....and lifting heavy.

I am trying to figure out my maintenance calorie amount so i can fine tune my diet to create a calric excess. Is it 15 calories per pound of lean mass? ie. mine would be 128lb x 15 = 1920?

Im trying to put on muscle and stay failry ripped,I know this can be done as Im a beginner and still at that initial stage, whereas later on down the line it seems close to impossible to get good gains and lose fat at the same time.

When they say 40/40/20 is it in the order protein/carbs/fat usually? (i use this order in my example below)
Should I use this for the 'bulking' stage (40/40/20), and then when cutting change it to 50/30/20. i.e increase protein and drop the carbs?

I would also like to know, i plan to work out mon,wed and fri. Doing the same body parts in every work out, is one day inbetween like i have mentioned above enough time to rest and repair the muscle?

Back to diet...i calculated my maintenence intake to be 1920 (if correct). At what excess should i eat at daily?? 100-200 cals over? and then when cutting...would it be the same amoutn under? ie. for the calorie deficit when cutting.

What should my intake be on off days? should it be maintentance or still be in excess even though im not working out? On off days do i continue my preportion of 40% p, 40% c, 20% f or should this change? Dont want to be eating more than i need to on off days. I understand the main thing would be lots of protein for repair,but carbs?

I know there is alot of questions here and could have been answered in seperate posts but they just all seem to string togeather for me and hard to ask them seperately.

Thanks!

terracotta
06-21-2006, 10:15 AM
Hey everyone. I need some help. First off I'm 208lbs. 6' 1.5" tall BF% unknown. I'm trying to put on some lean muscle so i've been reading and I've figured that i need to be eating around 3120 calories per day. (15 cals per lb.) Since I'm going 40carbs/40protein/20fat I need 312g of each carbs and protein, and 70 grams of fat. . .

Does all this seem right? This seems like alot to eat and I'm having trouble splitting this up into 6-7 meals in one day and finding the food to do it with. So if you have any advice on how to split this up into a regular meal routine that would be great. Thanks.

If you are 6'1, then I suspect you are male (this is the female bbing section btw)? That calorie level might be fine, it really depends on how high your bf%age is.. but seeing as your are trying to bulk, it can't be that high?

I suggest estimating your maintenance calories using the calculator at http://www.msun.edu/wellness/bmr.htm and then adding 300 to that number to bulk instead of the 15 cals per lb thing.

terracotta
06-21-2006, 10:18 AM
and Dale, you can go there as well.

There is NO need to follow a 40/40/20 diet. In fact, at calorie levels above 2500, I believe it is better to get less protein, and go for a 50c/30p/20f diet.

terracotta
06-21-2006, 10:20 AM
How to eat 3000 cals? BIG servings! If you find 6-7 meals is too hard, you can try 4-5 + pre workout and post workout. This is easier to plan. I highly recommend reading through my page here (http://terracotta2.googlepages.com/eatingforbodybuilding).