PDA

View Full Version : HELP...I cant stop sleeping...whats wrong with me?

stacey 010
06-19-2006, 04:46 PM
hey guys,
need some advice...IM TOTALLY EXHAUSTED....I was going to compete in 16weeks but realised i just dont have enough time to get lean enough and was starting to get really run down and literally couldnt get out of bed on sat. because i was sooo fatigued....So I took sat off and slept the whole day and missed me training session on sunday (ploymetrics) because i slept for 12 hours...then sunday i slept for another 4 hours during the day. I managed to get to the gym at 6am to do cardio yesterday, but after my 9am exam, i came home and slept for another 3 hours. I missed the gym this morning because I just cant get out of bed...i mean my muscle just ache and now i have a cold....
whats wrong with me...? I dont know if its the stress of training and exams together..or the fact that i let myself have 1 day off in about 8 weeks, and my body goes all lazy-crazy on me and just wants to sleep...?
im thinking tho, this is my bodys pay back for not giving me a day off to rest without doing weights or cardio for the past 8 weeks? How essential is a whole day off? and how many of you guys training for fat loss do it?

Outdoor Girl
06-19-2006, 05:07 PM
One time I went through serious exhaustion that sounded like that, and it ended up by being mono...followed by chronic fatigue syndrome.

The symtoms for me were that sleep seemed unrestful - in other words, I could sleep a lot and it really didn't seem to replenish me. I also couldn't last long through the day - I would be in conversations, mentally fight to try to stick with the discussion, and then not really remember them afterwards.

My personal opinion - listen to your body. You don't sound lazy at all, so if you need that much sleep something might be wrong. You should consider going in for tests, they ran quite a few on me at the same time as the mono test and that was the only one that came up positive. If it is mono (or even if you think that's a possibility), be careful with your liver! It can be very taxed when dealing with mono - I was told not to take any drugs, even over the counter, and not drink alcohol, etc.

As to the "day off" question, I used to train every single day, but now take a day off each week - more than that if needed. I do vary my exercises - weights/cardio, different things like running, cycling, inline skating, etc. I almost have to force myself to take the day off :) but it seems like my body likes it, so I'll keep doing it for now.

I hope everthing is okay, and that you get past your fatigue soon. Good luck!

stacey 010
06-19-2006, 05:15 PM
One time I went through serious exhaustion that sounded like that, and it ended up by being mono...followed by chronic fatigue syndrome.

The symtoms for me were that sleep seemed unrestful - in other words, I could sleep a lot and it really didn't seem to replenish me. I also couldn't last long through the day - I would be in conversations, mentally fight to try to stick with the discussion, and then not really remember them afterwards.

My personal opinion - listen to your body. You don't sound lazy at all, so if you need that much sleep something might be wrong. You should consider going in for tests, they ran quite a few on me at the same time as the mono test and that was the only one that came up positive. If it is mono (or even if you think that's a possibility), be careful with your liver! It can be very taxed when dealing with mono - I was told not to take any drugs, even over the counter, and not drink alcohol, etc.

As to the "day off" question, I used to train every single day, but now take a day off each week - more than that if needed. I do vary my exercises - weights/cardio, different things like running, cycling, inline skating, etc. I almost have to force myself to take the day off :) but it seems like my body likes it, so I'll keep doing it for now.

I hope everthing is okay, and that you get past your fatigue soon. Good luck!

thanks heaps for that...i had mild cfs before after triathlons, so i kinda know whats its like...i just dont know if maybe i was pushing myself well beyond limits with the preparation for comp because i was exercising 2/5 hours a day and not having a day off...i sorta knew deep down inside if i let myself rest...id literally drop...and it has. im just worried all my hard work in the gym is going to suffer because im taking a few days off, maybe even a week.
anyone who competes...do you guys take time off...?

imperfectly_lou
06-19-2006, 07:24 PM
I honestly think your diet is largely to blame. As we have mentioned to you before, your diet is exteremely low in carbs and calories to support your level of activity. Plus, regardless of your comp prep, you should still be having one full rest day per week. All the competitors I know do! A major reason why people stop seeing results in the gym is because they overtrain - it can lead to increased cortisol levels which can cause problems with fat loss.

AndrewR
06-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Depression can be another cluprit. Are you sleeping SOUNDLY too - you may just be snoozing, not sleeping.

stacey 010
06-19-2006, 08:31 PM
Depression can be another cluprit. Are you sleeping SOUNDLY too - you may just be snoozing, not sleeping.

no im not depressed. im training to be a psych and so know all the symptoms and triggers inside out...im actually really happy atm...just very tired. and i honestly do think that lou is right...my diet is low in carbs and i wasnt having a higher carb day in there...i think its a combination of things...ieA: not having a FULL rest day of doing nothing, perhaps too much cardio and not cycling my carbs...i guess that when you compete and get a trainer...you to them 100% but the only person who really knows your body is yourself and i should have slowed down ages ago...and just took day off when i needed too and or increased my carbs a bit..

terracotta
06-20-2006, 09:30 PM
this used to happen to me.. it was because I was drinking coffee after 2 pm, which was making my sleep less restful.

WillDeadliftForFood
06-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Taken from my post in an earlier thread:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=10155947&postcount=14

"When I work out too much without enough calories (i.e. about 4000-5000 daily), don't get enough sleep, or have too high an intensity over a long period, I know my immune system goes down. I suffer from a chronic bacterial infection, and as my diet/sleep decrease or exercise increases too much my condition gets worse.

Your body only has so many resources to perform all of the functions it needs to survive; every process is linked to the others. If you're overdoing it in the gym without enough food or sleep, then every part of you will suffer.

For the thread starter: your rest day means REST. If it's your busiest, i.e. most STRESSFUL day of work, then it really isn't rest. Physical stress and mental stress will both compromise you. If you can't have one day of quality rest, then you might have to settle for more days of mediocre rest."

Pushing yourself too much will either lead to a nasty infection, or general overtraining syndrome. One time I overtrained (from a combo of inadequate calories, not enough rest days and low quality sleep) and kept pushing myself, feeling more and more sluggish daily. I only stopped when my weakened immune system allowed full-blown mono infection that kept me bedridden for a month, and out of the gym for two more.

Moral of this story: at least one rest day a week, or two if you're in a high-stress lifestyle. If it's exams time, add another rest day until they're over. A full week off of intense training every 8-12 weeks isn't a bad idea either. When's the last time you've had a full rest week?

I've never competed, but IMO you might want to take a full rest week now before you start your contest prep. Rest week can still include some low-intensity work, but you really have to restrain yourself from pushing. Realize that if you have a cold your body is shuttling resources to your immune system to fight your infection. Working out is stealing those resources, especially if you're in a "cutting" phase.

Rest, relax, replenish.

/end rant.

(This post is entirely from personal experience, and as such, is all In My Own Opinion.)

stacey 010
06-21-2006, 01:33 AM
Taken from my post in an earlier thread:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=10155947&postcount=14

"When I work out too much without enough calories (i.e. about 4000-5000 daily), don't get enough sleep, or have too high an intensity over a long period, I know my immune system goes down. I suffer from a chronic bacterial infection, and as my diet/sleep decrease or exercise increases too much my condition gets worse.

Your body only has so many resources to perform all of the functions it needs to survive; every process is linked to the others. If you're overdoing it in the gym without enough food or sleep, then every part of you will suffer.

For the thread starter: your rest day means REST. If it's your busiest, i.e. most STRESSFUL day of work, then it really isn't rest. Physical stress and mental stress will both compromise you. If you can't have one day of quality rest, then you might have to settle for more days of mediocre rest."

Pushing yourself too much will either lead to a nasty infection, or general overtraining syndrome. One time I overtrained (from a combo of inadequate calories, not enough rest days and low quality sleep) and kept pushing myself, feeling more and more sluggish daily. I only stopped when my weakened immune system allowed full-blown mono infection that kept me bedridden for a month, and out of the gym for two more.

Moral of this story: at least one rest day a week, or two if you're in a high-stress lifestyle. If it's exams time, add another rest day until they're over. A full week off of intense training every 8-12 weeks isn't a bad idea either. When's the last time you've had a full rest week?

I've never competed, but IMO you might want to take a full rest week now before you start your contest prep. Rest week can still include some low-intensity work, but you really have to restrain yourself from pushing. Realize that if you have a cold your body is shuttling resources to your immune system to fight your infection. Working out is stealing those resources, especially if you're in a "cutting" phase.

Rest, relax, replenish.

/end rant.

(This post is entirely from personal experience, and as such, is all In My Own Opinion.)

thankyou so much for sharing your personal experience with me and for the advice...very sound and i appreciate it so much. The funny thing is, that i had 2 people, one female who is quite nice about the whole thing, the others whos actually pushed me to go harder from the begining and when i wanted a whole rest day, told me off when i actually didnt do cardio..when i told him i didnt want to do the comp in oct because i was so exhausted and was sick, he got angry at me and said i wasnt a warrior and obviously didnt want it enough...not a high achiever apparently.

I guess the major thing i have learnt from this whole experience is that im the only one who really knows my body and i know when to rest. and right from the start i said i wanted to take a whole rest day, then my trainers said to me if i want to make that comp in march...bump up my effort or i wont get there.

I had a mild bout of cf a few years back and it took me 6months of acupuncture and herbal treatment before i could get back into weight training. I dont want to go back down that road.

I think march comp is more relalistic for me. and with everything im doing at uni which is really exhausting, thats all i can handle atm i think. I had my last exam today and now have 3 weeks off uni, but still have assignments, thesis and papers to mark. But the stress has certainly cut gone down now.
thankyou so much for the advice...it really really does mean a lot...sometimes personal experience is everything...not what we get from a book.

take care
stace

Mango
06-21-2006, 03:44 PM
I don't know if you wanted any more advice or anything, but are you sure you're getting enough vitamins?? It could be as simple as a slight defficiency in something??

b12, b6, vitamin c??

WillDeadliftForFood
06-21-2006, 11:00 PM
Thank you for the kind words :)

So you're not a "warrior", eh?

Throughout my army training, and the training of my little brother (who's starting all of the special task, high-speed stuff) they pushed the utter living heck out of us. Then they gave us sundays off. No running, no PT, no marching, not even training. All we did was half-hearted cleaning. They even let us sleep in an extra hour.

My little bro's unit, with some of the highest PT standards in the reg army (for the army's "birthday" this week his unit put on 100 pounds of gear and ran 9 miles uphill) they still get weekends entirely off. And these are the guys that will be pulling the special missions in Iraq soon.

My point: warriors need rest too. Including bb/fitness competitors.

imperfectly_lou
06-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Listen to Will! He's a smart man! :)