PDA

View Full Version : bodybuilding/posing/competition ????s

mykidsmom
06-19-2006, 03:16 PM
Hi. I am new here and would like to compete in April next year in my first Masters/novice competition. I have been working out quite hard and trying to eat as clean as possible. I am pretty confident about the precompetition strategies, and of course the competition is months away. However, I am an obsessive planner and have a few questions specifically about the day of the show. I will go watch one in Sept., but still am curious now. I am interested in natural bodybuilding.

I apologize if this has been covered, I've spent an hour searching terms and haven't found exactly what I was looking for. I am interested in finding out the following:

1) are there available resources - DVDs, internet posing guides, etc. specifically geared toward female bodybuilders and not men and not figure or fitness, including how to most effectively perform the mandatory poses? Are there workshops desgined for the amateur like there are for figure?

2) how does the day progress? Is it the same for men and women with regards to the presentation style of competitors in the morning session and afternoon sessions?

3) how long does the music section last for usually? Do most competitors come in on the middle of a song? Does everyone wear a solid black suit in morning and a different more glittery one at night?

I have a trainer with whom I am working and a very supportive family. I don't want my trainer thinking I'm a doofus asking all these questions so far in advance, though!

Thanks.

Hfit
06-26-2006, 12:36 PM
1. Get in contact w/ the show promotor. Many sanctions perform different types of posing - thus you want to be sure you're doing them accurately. Also ask if there will be a "pre-show" seminar - this is where you will learn what the judges are looking for.

2. My suggestion would be to go to a local show around your area so that you can get a feel to what the day may be like. Typically the morning is alloted for prejudging (scoring of athletes) Evening show is when the trophies are presented and all the athlete's perform their routines. Again depends on the sanction and the promotor.

3. BBer's usually are given 60 seconds of performance time. I've competed in 2 different sanctions and both were the same. You can do whatever you want in those 60 seconds but i'd suggest you be on stage for that - you won't have time to walk out in the middle of the song :-) Most competitors are asked to wear a black suit in the morning - the night show you can pick a "flashier" suit.

ASK ASK ASK that's what your trainer is hired to do!

MsFit
06-26-2006, 01:15 PM
I've spent an hour searching terms and haven't found exactly what I was looking for. I am interested in finding out the following:

Be careful of information overload. The Competitive Edge (http://www.theelitephysique.com/compedge/index.htm) is a bodybuilding competition e-book for women, by a woman. It contains detailed information on how to diet right to the time you are on stage, as well as post contest eating and training to prevent excess rebounding.

Keep up-to-date with the orgainzation you'll be competing in for seminars and workshops. Your trainer may be able to help you find such events in your area.

rayteresa4
06-26-2006, 01:36 PM
1) are there available resources - DVDs, internet posing guides, etc. specifically geared toward female bodybuilders and not men and not figure or fitness, including how to most effectively perform the mandatory poses? Are there workshops desgined for the amateur like there are for figure?

2) how does the day progress? Is it the same for men and women with regards to the presentation style of competitors in the morning session and afternoon sessions?

3) how long does the music section last for usually? Do most competitors come in on the middle of a song? Does everyone wear a solid black suit in morning and a different more glittery one at night?

First, as others said, be sure to check with your trainer and the promoters of the show for seminars, and training/posing classes. I am currently training for my first competition, and my trainer actually is the promoter of the show as well, and they are holding 8 weeks worth of posing classes...we have completed thre so far.

Second - I do not yet know how the day progresses. However in my organization (INBF), I know that we will be drug and polygraph tested the day before the show, then we show up for pre-judging (morning show) at 9:30 a.m., and the night show starts at 6...in between shows, we will rest, and such.

Third - in the INBF, we have 90 seconds worth of music for our night routine. The music is used only for the night portion of the show. I have had my music made/created by a professional DJ if you will. He has excellent equipment and can do pretty much whatever I need him to do. Your trainer should be able to help you find someone like this, or the promoters of the show you are training for. I have a dark navy suit I will be wearing for the morning show, and a dark teal suit with some crystals on it for the evening show. INBF does not allow thongs...ok by me. Each organization has different sanctions and rules which you should check out with the show promoter.

I am also going to compete in a competition in September through the NPC, they do not require drug testing, however they do it randomly...My understanding is their rules are fairly close to the INBF.

If you go to the organizations website, you should be able to find a bunch of links to different things you need as well. Best of luck. Where is your show?

30-A rider
06-27-2006, 07:59 AM
Dont just go to one show..go to all the shows you can! ask if you can go backstage during morning and evening judging...say you want to offer your assitance for those that may need help to pump up, oil down etc. You will learn a lot doing this. Finally, Im not saying your trainer isnt expereinced as I dont know...but you want to utilize someone who isnt just a generic trainer but someone who works getting people ready to step on the stage...this is typically someone who instructs you diet wise and helps with practicing posing. You CAN NOT expect to pose ina mirror and find your own mistakes..you will miss things for sure. Good luck

MsFit
06-27-2006, 08:06 AM
You CAN NOT expect to pose ina mirror and find your own mistakes..you will miss things for sure. Good luck

Yep. I've practiced my Manditories and routine blind folded, and in the dark. You have to KNOW your poses and routine inside and out. Pictures, videos, a critical eye... Use all your resources.

mykidsmom
06-27-2006, 09:52 AM
Thanks for all the great advice and information!

I am fortunate that I belong to gym that trains many women (and men) who compete and who have earned their Pro cards. My trainers - including two women, all compete and are very helpful.

Like I said, I just get a bit embarassed asking detailed questions so early on. Nonetheless, I am curious about what goes on and how best to prepare. I plan on attending a rather large show around here in September. In the mean time, I'll just keep working hard and eating clean!!

Thanks again.
Risa

rayteresa4
06-27-2006, 01:13 PM
Thanks for all the great advice and information!

I am fortunate that I belong to gym that trains many women (and men) who compete and who have earned their Pro cards. My trainers - including two women, all compete and are very helpful.

Like I said, I just get a bit embarassed asking detailed questions so early on. Nonetheless, I am curious about what goes on and how best to prepare. I plan on attending a rather large show around here in September. In the mean time, I'll just keep working hard and eating clean!!

Thanks again.
Risa

Risa,

Keep in mind that we are all continuing to learn, and there is NEVER a stupid question or too many...the only way you are going to achieve your goals is by asking, and taking it all in...trust me i ask a ton of questions to my trainer from day one, and continue to ask...she has NEVER had any problem answering them, or thought I was goofy for even asking. Keep in mind too that everyone was new at this at some point in time...so all of those people in your gym have been where you are.

Stay focused and keep up the great work.

Teresa