PDA

View Full Version : I have some questions!

wantstolookgood
06-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Hey everybody! I have just decided to start eating right and working out to help me lose weight. I am 20 years old, 140 lbs, and 5'2". I would like to eventually get down to 110 lbs. IMy husband is very much into fitness but doesn't think I can loose my weight. He doesn't think I can stick to a diet or workout program, so I want to loose the weight to prove to him that I can do what I put my mind to. I have a lot of questions. Like how to I determine how many calories I should eat? How do I know how many grams of protein, fat, and carbs to eat each day? How much cardio should I do each day? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

98shadow
06-20-2006, 08:17 AM
plug into fitday.com they ask you some infor about yourself and then
you tell you how many calories you should be getting. When you put your
food in for the day it should equip APPROX 50 % carbs 30%protein 20% fat
you can play around with your diet until you reach the goal you have made.

as far as excersize you should be lifting weights and doing some cardio.

I ran for years 30-50 miles per week and was in good shape and looked ok
been lifting for almost 2 years and doing some cardio and I look and feel great

casey e
06-20-2006, 09:48 AM
wantstolookgood I am 5'1" 124lbs and trying to loose body fat. I do upper body 2days, lower body 2 days and 3 days of HIIT, I am for 1500-1600 calories and have lost 2lbs in the last 3weeks so I am down to 122. My problem is the weekends I do so good all week and then the weekends turn into 2 days of bad eating, I am really trying to just do 2 cheats a weekend, this past weekend was better but not perfect. In the past after all my pregnancies I did weight watchers and it worked great to loose the weight.Also, I workout at home with videos, dumbells and treadmill

jragym
06-20-2006, 12:13 PM
First of all I want to say good for you, show him that you can do anything you set your mind to. But lets get to the weight loss.
Well as for caloric consumption how many calories do you estimate you eat a day currently and what foods make up those calories.
As for the cardio I would say if your currently just starting cardio program I would say 4 cardio sessions of 30-45 minutes each a week to start with till you get more cardiovascularly fit then bump it up to about 1 hour 5 days a week when you feel ready.
However you also need to lift weights to accomplish your goals.
A good starting point if you are currently sedentary I would say would be to start with about 4 sets of 10 reps of about 4 different exercises for the first couple of weeks. Use a weight that you can comfortably but not easily complete for 10 reps but that you struggle a bit with on the fourth set of each exercise. Also give it a day or 2 before working that muscle group again so it has time to heal.
As you get stronger and fitter, pick which body parts you want to work on which days and really murder them.
Dont overdo it in the beginning you want to be carefull of overtraining.
I would say right now I agree with 98shadow on the 50% carb, 30 protein, and 20 fat ratio.
However I would suggest as you get more active you increase your protein intake to about 1g per pound of body weight. You also want to try to eat every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism running high.
The most important thing about losing is patience weight loss takes time it gets frustrating but everytime you get down in the dumps first remember your doing this to build a better you this is all about you and second remember you can prove him wrong

fit123
06-20-2006, 12:49 PM
wantstolookgood I am 5'1" 124lbs and trying to loose body fat. I do upper body 2days, lower body 2 days and 3 days of HIIT, I am for 1500-1600 calories and have lost 2lbs in the last 3weeks so I am down to 122. My problem is the weekends I do so good all week and then the weekends turn into 2 days of bad eating, I am really trying to just do 2 cheats a weekend, this past weekend was better but not perfect. In the past after all my pregnancies I did weight watchers and it worked great to loose the weight.Also, I workout at home with videos, dumbells and treadmill

are you my twin? same stats (I'm 120lbs) and I have the same issues with weekend eating...and evening sometimes. Just had to share...

casey e
06-20-2006, 05:50 PM
fit123 don't you just hate how you work so hard all week then ruin it on the weekend to start all over again on Monday!!!!

fit123
06-21-2006, 05:18 AM
fit123 don't you just hate how you work so hard all week then ruin it on the weekend to start all over again on Monday!!!!

Totally....I absolutely hate it....this week is particularly bad because I'm close to my period. My cravings are off the hook. The funny thing is that I'm not hungry, really....just looking for PB&J or chocolate :D

jaim91
06-21-2006, 05:22 AM
Most comprehensize guide to losing (and gaining weight) I've read in a long time

http://ironmagazineforums.com/showthread.php?t=21113