PDA

View Full Version : Meal Plan

Heather6869
06-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Hi everyone,

Please take a look at my meal plan and tell me if it looks ok. I am 5'6 125 lbs. trying to lose fat and gain muscle. My Tantra scale says I am at 22% BF but when I got measured at my workout facilty it was 14% which im almost positive is inaccurate. They didnt use calipers, just a more advanced scale.
I currently workout 5 days a week- I do one day heavy legs and two days upper body. I do 45-60 min. of cardio a day, usually the treadmill with a incline or the elliptical.

Meal 1: 1/2 C. Oatmeal with 1 C of egg whites and 1/2 c. of berries.

Meal 2: Protein Shake or 1/2 C. of cottage cheese/yogurt. or 2 pcs of string cheese.

Meal 3: Large salad with 4 oz. chicken and blue cheese, egg whites, sunflower seeds or almonds and assorted veggies.

(Wrkout)

Meal 4: Salmon with small salad and cauliflower or broc****

Meal 5: Handful of almonds or Cottage cheese/ PB

bigdrewskyy11
06-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Your diet looks relatively clean, although I have found in the past when training some female athletes, cutting out on lacto based proteins such as milk products like cottage cheese, and the string cheese, and replacing them with a whey protein supplement or lean protein like turkey or chicken, often helps them lean out quicker. Also what time do u do your cardio, is it mid-day like your workout? Cardio first thing in the am, on an empty stomach, will shift your fat burning metabolism into high gear..if you can fit it into your schedule. Do u have any pics posted? 22% to 14% is quite a noticeable jump...What did you get measured with skin calipers or Electric bio impedance? What are your long term goals, competition or just healthy fat loss? You can respond to me here. Good luck. Drew

Heather6869
06-19-2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks Drew!

I am work and dont have any pictures here but can post some later. I realize that 22%-14% is a huge jump and I know that I am not that low- they were both done on a tantra scale except the one at gym is more advanced and has a mode for athletes.

I do my cardio after work since I dont have enough time in the morning before work- I usually go between 6-7 PM and get home to eat my dinner at 8-8:30 then go to bed around 10 and thats when I eat my last snack.

My long term goal is to firm up and lose the jiggley fat on the back of my thighs and just have some defination or shape.

So you think it would help me to cut out the dairy and try protein powders or lean proteins? I do find that after eating cottage cheese I get bloated so maybe it would be a good idea to at least try.

Also, I usually aim for 1500 calorie a day and am trying to taper off my carbs as the day progresses- does this sound ok or should I eat more or less?

bigdrewskyy11
06-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Hey Heather,
Ok let me respond step by step:
First, the tantra scales are a guage, but not all that accurate, i would inquire at your gym if they have access to doing body caliper testing..if they don't I will email you the tape measurement system, where you can measure yourself in certain areas on your body with a tape measure, then compute in your height and weight, and get a more accurate depiction of your bf %.

Next, I would try to get all your meals in before your workout...don't skip any meals, but get your first meal in earlier then eat every 2 to 2 1/2 hours up till you go in for your workout. Then post workout, have a protein shake, not a meal replacement shake, keep the carbs out, but the protein will aid in recovery, and you will continue to burn bf post workout.

Workout wise, I have no idea how your training right now, so let me know and we can tweak from there.

I'm also not surprised after consuming dairy you feel bloated, eating a regimented diet can make you feel lactose intolerant because it's more difficult for your digestive system to break down milk proteins, and you will feel bloated, and probably even retain some water.

lastly you can probably rollercoaster your calories from 1600 to a low of 1200, still consuming the same amount of meals, just adjusting the carb intake. I usually go 2 days keeping my calories higher, then a day carb restricting and keeping them lower, then 3 days high, 2 days low, back to days high 1 day low, etc. This keeps your body in a state of constant metabolic shift, and does not slow your fat loss when dieting. The keyt is making sure you eat consistently, wether larger or smaller portions. Hope all this is helpful...I'll chat with you soon. Drew

Heather6869
06-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Thanks Drew.

It would be to hard for me to eat all my meals before my workout. I work from 8-5:30 then have a hour drive home but have to drive a extra 15 min. to get to my workout facility. So I wouldnt want to go home, eat, then have to go back out again and then drive back home again. Thats alot of driving!

bigdrewskyy11
06-20-2006, 03:55 PM
well u could be totally extreme and pre prepare your meals and pack a cooler. That's what I used to do when I was working on the road...but you need to have a life as well...just keep doing what your doing, keep up the intensity on your cardio workouts, and be consistent and the results will come. You can do it!

BlueLion105
06-26-2006, 07:09 PM
lastly you can probably rollercoaster your calories from 1600 to a low of 1200, still consuming the same amount of meals, just adjusting the carb intake. I usually go 2 days keeping my calories higher, then a day carb restricting and keeping them lower, then 3 days high, 2 days low, back to days high 1 day low, etc. This keeps your body in a state of constant metabolic shift, and does not slow your fat loss when dieting. Drew

Hello Drew,

I saw your response to Heather about the number of calories to be eating per day to supplement her workouts and goal of firming up. I was hoping you could advise me in the same area.

Currently, I am a 25 year old, 5-8", 127 pounds, and 30% BF (measured with a caliper at home). I weight train three days per week, and do high intensity interval cardio on the bike three days per week for 30 minutes. Following each workout, I do 30 minutes of 65-75% max HR on the bike or treadmill.

I have consistently worked out with weights and cardio, eaten a low carb/high protein diet, between 890-990 calories per day for a very long time....years! I'm in good shape, some muscle definition, just looking to shed fat and build muscle. Ultimately, I would like to weigh more around 110, and have 14-18% body fat.

I am concerned that I eat too little, but have the same fears of eating too much just as many women do. I have listed a normal diet for a day that I lift weights. Any advise you may have (or any one else out there) would be GREATLY appreciated! (BTW, I am new to this forum, but have been a fan of Bodybuilding.com for a very long time)

3:00 am: 1 scoop Whey, 10g protein, 5g carbs; 1 pkt oatmeal, 21 low glycemic carbs, and caffeine! (It's early!)
3:30 am: Legs, Abs
4:00 am: Bike 30 minutes 65-75% max HR
5:00 am: 20g Whey, 1/4 cup non fat yogurt, 1 small piece of fruit, multivitamin
7:00 am: 3 oz turkey, 1 slice whole wheat
9:00 am: 3 oz turkey, 1 small apple
11:30 am: 1/4 small can lite tuna, 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup brown rice
2:30 pm: 2 egg whites, 2 slices of tomato
5:00 pm: 1 fillet of salmon, green veggies
7:00 pm: 2 egg whites, 2 slices of tomato, 2 oz turkey
9:00 pm: Bed Time... Finally! :)

I know it looks like I eat very often, but like I said, this might amount to 900-1000 calories if I'm lucky. I usually try my best to stick to a 45% protein, 35% carb, 20% fat diet. I have begun to fluctuate my calories every other day from 750 to 1100, using carbs to do so, but have not had much luck getting more muscle or losing fat. Sometimes, I swear I gain weight!

Help!
Thanks!
BlueLion105

txssweetie
06-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Next, I would try to get all your meals in before your workout...don't skip any meals, but get your first meal in earlier then eat every 2 to 2 1/2 hours up till you go in for your workout. Then post workout, have a protein shake, not a meal replacement shake, keep the carbs out, but the protein will aid in recovery, and you will continue to burn bf post workout.

Workout wise, I have no idea how your training right now, so let me know and we can tweak from there.

I'm also not surprised after consuming dairy you feel bloated, eating a regimented diet can make you feel lactose intolerant because it's more difficult for your digestive system to break down milk proteins, and you will feel bloated, and probably even retain some water.

lastly you can probably rollercoaster your calories from 1600 to a low of 1200, still consuming the same amount of meals, just adjusting the carb intake. I usually go 2 days keeping my calories higher, then a day carb restricting and keeping them lower, then 3 days high, 2 days low, back to days high 1 day low, etc. This keeps your body in a state of constant metabolic shift, and does not slow your fat loss when dieting. The keyt is making sure you eat consistently, wether larger or smaller portions. Hope all this is helpful...I'll chat with you soon. Drew

Honestly, I strongly disagree with a lot of this advice. First off, 1200-1600 calories is WAY too little for such an active person. You need AT LEAST 1800 calories per day.
Secondly, eliminating carbs (or tapering carbs) is not necessary for fatloss. Anyone can lose fat just fine having carbs all day long. Althought, the carb cycling is a good idea for faster fatloss (search for that on some other threads)
ALSO, post workout AND pre-workout, carbs are essential. DO NOT eliminate them, as your body needs a simple carb immediately after your workout as well as a fast acting protein, such whey protein powder. Prior to your workout, have a complex carb such as brown rice or oats with protein powder.
Also, do not have protein powder other than pre workout and post workout. If fatloss is your goal, you need REAL food such as lean meat, cottage cheese (yes, it's fine,) egg whites, etc. Eat as clean and close to nature as possible for the best results.
Be sure to check out Terra's site. http://terracotta2.googlepages.com/home It helps out in almost everything you need to know.

big_mama
06-27-2006, 12:36 AM
oh dats great.... i think im gonna do that coz im starting to get bigger after my operation. tnx