PDA

View Full Version : questions about comments from a figure judge

syronica
06-19-2006, 11:18 AM
I just got done competing in my first figure competition. I asked the judge why I placed what I did and he said that my legs were too big in comparison to my upper body. He said for me to stop doing squats, because I have too much muscle in my quads and also that squats were bad for women to do. He said I should just to leg curls and sumo squats. Are squats really bad for women to do? How do I decrease the muscle in my legs? What kind of cardio should I do? Stairstepper, treadmill, run walk? Pilates? Any advice would be appreciated. I have another competion in 6 weeks.
Thanks

egoatdoor
06-19-2006, 05:54 PM
I just got done competing in my first figure competition. I asked the judge why I placed what I did and he said that my legs were too big in comparison to my upper body. He said for me to stop doing squats, because I have too much muscle in my quads and also that squats were bad for women to do.

Saying squats are bad for women is not true. I wonder if what he really meant was they are bad for a woman with your type of physique. I'm a guy, but for years, I had the same out of balance problem. Big legs, smaller in proportion upper body. I did two things. One deemphasized leg work. I stopped heavy or moderate rep squatting. If I squatted at all, it was 20 rep squats. I did front squats on the Smith Machine instead. Over time, this gave my legs much more shape without the bulk. Second, I increased the amount of training I did for the upper back and shoulders. I trained these parts twice for every leg workout I did. By making this parts wider and thicker, my legs looked smaller in comparison and I got a much better balance between the upper and lower bodies.

You are competing in figure. They want to see wide shoulders and back, a slim waist and legs that are in proportion with the rest of your body..an hour glass type figure.

How do I decrease the muscle in my legs? What kind of cardio should I do? Stairstepper, treadmill, run walk? Pilates?

Let them atrophy somewhat like I said earlier by training them less.

Fast paced walking on the treadmill for 20-30 minutes would be good. I would be cautious on the stairstepper. I found the climbing also tended to bulk my legs.

stacey 010
06-19-2006, 05:59 PM
its a hard thing to say...theres nothing wrong with awsome legs...but most of the trainers i have spoken to when I picked their brains about training, the told me to do reverse lunges, not squats....so who knows...some of the judges are pretty critical, but i think what he was saying was that you need to be more overall symertical, so like the last post...focus on really killing your upper body..and gaining some mass...maybe even keep your legs as they are and go for physique not figure...but many of the figure girls do end up looking kile skinny rats on stage...compared to physique of course...but hey...i love both sorts of girls and think they both look damn fine

stacey 010
06-19-2006, 06:01 PM
maybe post some pics of you at the comp?

egoatdoor
06-19-2006, 10:48 PM
its a hard thing to say...theres nothing wrong with awsome legs...but most of the trainers i have spoken to when I picked their brains about training, the told me to do reverse lunges, not squats

The problem with many trainers as I see it is they do not consider the trainees particular body structure in designing a program. Its all cookie cutter. A thin, ectomorphic woman ( or male too!!!) should be squatting to build leg and overall body size. But I see time and again, trainers taking women of all sizes and having them do isolation movements like lunges and tricep kickbacks.

You need muscle before you can refine or "tone" anything.

stacey 010
06-20-2006, 12:06 AM
The problem with many trainers as I see it is they do not consider the trainees particular body structure in designing a program. Its all cookie cutter. A thin, ectomorphic woman ( or male too!!!) should be squatting to build leg and overall body size. But I see time and again, trainers taking women of all sizes and having them do isolation movements like lunges and tricep kickbacks.

You need muscle before you can refine or "tone" anything.

yes, i totally agree with you...so many trainers and judges talk about looking too scrawny on stage and then turn around and tell women to stop doing compund movements...which actually help build muscle...im not going to stop doing squats and heavy squats anyways..