PDA

View Full Version : Feel like I'm gonna give up... help...

daYDreAmErX
06-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Hello all,

It's not easy for me to write this message today, but I feel I don't have the choice. The past 3 weeks have been really difficult for me : new job, weird schedules, eating crap, always on the road and training only 2-3 times a week.

I used to have a severe diet, good results and great time at the gym, but now, I feel it's over. I do feel I'm gonna give up. Here is my typically week, without training :

Sunday, Monday, Thursday and Friday : I work from midnight to lunch (12 hours). I'm a security guard, only sitting in my car for 12 hours and I can't get out of the car except if there's something wrong. I have to bring my food for the 12 hours even if my system is all f*cked up by now. It takes me an hour to go and to get back home after. Then I sleep until 7 approx, I try to prepare my food but I feel dizzy and tired and I don't go to the gym. On the other days I'm off, there is so much things to do... It's the first time something like that happen to me.

How would you split your day ? Anyone experienced the same ? Should I go to the gym right after work in the afternoon even if I'm tired (tired of doing nothing, my legs are hurting and my back also...), try to go when I wake up ? How should I split my meals ? Do like midnight is lunch time ? What snack can I bring without getting sick or tired ?

Thanks a lot, your help is really appreciated.

Val

98shadow
06-19-2006, 11:54 AM
I am sorry you are having such a hard time. your schedule sounds
horrible. I don't know what I would do. If you have to sleep when you
get home you might not want to go to the gym then, because of the
energy you will probably feel. Maybe try b4 work. As for food -
I only eat 3 times a day because it is too difficult to plan so many meals.
It work for me. I wrote this on an index card and try to look at it often
"pain is temporary - quitting is forever" giving up will not make your
schedule change or anything else. Keep at it and just do whatever you
can and it will be better than nothing

iyamamaschke
06-19-2006, 12:17 PM
I ahve no Idea How you feel or what it's like to work shifts like that but, I know you sound so upset and really giving up is not an option sounds like you really wanna get something happening.

My sister works a crappy chedual like that and She works out as soon as she is done then goes home to sleep. SHe says she would never do it other wise. She works 11:00 till 7am. I was asking her how she felt when she first started doing it she said she was soo tired lethargic and crabby when she started but, within a few weeks of doing it she felt a lot more energized and was able to have better days. I sure hope everything works out for you (((HUGS)))

girlinseattle
06-19-2006, 12:25 PM
I have never been in your situation, but I just wanted to add that everything will be alright at the end. Don't be so hard on yourself. Enjoy your youth a bit; you're only 19 once... you might regret spending 1/2 your life at a gym instead of living full enriched youth. I didn't start working out until I was 24, either. Don't regret it.

Rachel_n_SD
06-19-2006, 12:40 PM
you need to start preparing everything ahead of time to save yourself surprises. your whole week is going to need to be planned out.

im a single mom, i work full time, and go to school fulltime as well, actually right now im off school for the summer, thank god, but anyways, this is what works for me:

you should pick a workout which is effective but a time saver, i like to do fullbody or circuit training to get the most bang for my buck in the shortest amount of time. i like to workout on my lunchbreak-i am assuming you get a break, that would be a great time to work out, plus it breaks up the monotony of your day-to me, working out on my lunch feels like recess, i love getting away from my desk and outside to work out.

as for food, on a day you dont work, you will spend about 2 hours cooking. prepare a bunch of chicken breasts, brown rice, and slice up a bunch of veggies. then, buy a bunch of ziploc baggies and divide the food into the correct portions, and refridgerate or freeze them. also you could make a bunch of protein pancakes-healthy and portable, and dont even need to be heated up.

don't get discouraged, it is possible to stay fit despite a ****ty schedule-i know people whose schedule is worse than mine and they still manage!

stacey 010
06-19-2006, 04:41 PM
[please dont get discouraged...yeah it is tough and a long hard battle...but its your health we are taking about...
if you are feeling dizzy its certainly diet related...maybe post a sample of your diet..? Maybe you are not actually eating enough?
I think the basis is lots of vegies (yep...i mean cups and cups of green green green vegies), lean proteins, good essential fats and complex carbs and a dash of fruit...
i think the full-body or upper/lower split would work well and maybe get in some HIIT if you want to burn fat...
I dont work shift work, but I know whatt its like to feel totally exhausted all the time after 12hr days at the hosiptial and working in psych or studying for exams at uni...but once im at the gym...feels great...

daYDreAmErX
06-19-2006, 06:37 PM
OK, I'm gonna post you what my diet looks like. My meal are a but mixed up because I take my breakfast aroung 7 p.m :) I also drink 2-3 cups of coffee because I need to stay awake all night !!!!

Thanks lot for you all. I think I should get to the gym at 9:30 pm, take my shower there and go directly to work after. I could take 2 days of on my "shift", which are Sunday and Monday (usually the hardest days). I'm trying to include carbs but I'm not getting use to it. I've been sticking to keto for the past 6 months, so...

Meal 1 : Pork chop, lean only eaten, 15 asparagus, 0.5 red kidney beans
Meal 2: 1 scoop Whey
Meal 3 : Chicken breast, 2 cup lettuce, 2 cup celery strips
Meal 4 : 1 tbs flax oil, 0.5 cup fat free cottage cheese
Meal 5 : 0.5 cup raw oats, apple sauce homemade, cinnamon, 0.5 cup frozen blueberries
30 min preworkout : Xpand
Postwprkout : xpand, Whey, 0.5 scoop gatorade
Meal 6 : whole wheat tortillas with tuna, hummus and 2 cups green beans

It looks like that... Bu tlike I said, my body doesn't respond really well... and I'd like to change something at meal 2, but Whey is pretty cheap and doesn't fill me too much when I'm sitting in my car.

Also, my legs hurt a lot after my shift. Any tricks ? I have the right to go outside and walk for 5 minutes each hour, but nothing more.

THanks a lot,

Val

energi
06-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Midnights made me physically ill, so I know it's gotta be hard for you.

Have you considered getting another job with a better schedule?

daYDreAmErX
06-19-2006, 08:03 PM
It's only a summer job and I'm well paid... that's the only reason.

:(

energi
06-19-2006, 08:30 PM
So, when the summer is over you can get your life back on track? Maybe set up a program for yourself that will get you through the next 3 months - a modified, maintenance kind of thing. Something that will reduce your stress level right now...