PDA

View Full Version : Weighted Vests

bostonbootgirl
06-19-2006, 06:13 AM
Woo, it's been a long time since I've been here!

Does anyone have any advice on training with weighted vests? I'm interested in getting one but not sure what brand to buy or any caveats to training with them.

My predicament: I injured by sciatic during hill running last October. I completely stopped running to let it heal. I couldn't even do any strength training at all except arms since every exercise involved bending from that point (squats, lunges, even crunches) It was really painful and debilatating, and only now has it become manageable. I've get chiropractic and do core pilates, which helps. Also, I am still active by talking speed walks and my job involves lots of physical labor. I really thought I was screwed...it's really a big deal I can even walk for 6 miles, it was that bad for a long time. Strange as it may seem, if I am inactive and sit a lot it hurts more than when I remain active and moving.

BUT I still cannot run like I used to!!! I can run fine for 2 days straight and then next day the pain starts creeping in. I avoid lunges like the plague.

My solution has been to add weight to speed walking and slow jogging. I use handheld weights but I know this isn't the best solution. I need the added resistance of something because just walking or slow jogging is not enough.

Thanks in advance. Injuries suck!!!!!!

Irish Babe
06-28-2006, 09:36 AM
I bought a weighted vest a few years ago....I heard Jennifer Lopez used one when she ran or did stairs to help define her glutes....so i used it when i did steps up. Never did it long enough to notice if it was working . Right now, it may be too HOT to wear one, especially since you are in Florida! If you are interested in buying one I can sell you mine..I tried to unload it at a yard sale this weekend and had no takers. PM me if you like.