PDA

View Full Version : I need to bulk

puppy
06-19-2006, 07:11 AM
Please help me.I need to bulk my upper body as soon as possible!It is really skinny while the lower is normal and in fact very toned .I eat a lot of protein and do exercise for arms,shoulders ,chest and back.Although I have become more toned I need a lot of bulking.What can I do?

ChrystalR
06-20-2006, 06:51 AM
Gotta give us more info than that dear - what are you eating, lifting, routines, etc. What is "bigger" and "normal" to you? Without the info we're all stabbing in the dark

puppy
06-20-2006, 03:24 PM
My workout plan:

lower body(twice a week)

calf raises 3set 10-15
barbell step ups 3set 10-15
deadlifts 3set 10-15
squats 3set 10-12

upper body(twice a week)

Overhead Tricep Extension 3 set 10-12
Alternate Hammer Curl 3set 10-12
Cable Crossover 3set 10-15

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to workout,

I don't have a strict particular diet.I just eat 5-6 meals a day mainly with protein,carbs and low fat.I think that I should eat more but I don't calculate the cals I take and I can't decide how much more I should eat.I believe I eat around 1600cals daily.I am 5'9" 127lbs 19 years old.I really want to gain weight but only on the upper body because I am pear shaped!

emunah
06-20-2006, 07:31 PM
You need to track your calories. You can use fitday.com to help you.

How much time do you have to workout? You'll have to change your training...it isn't balanced by muscle group. You have no back work at all and limited chest work. And your rep range is too high.

You can't only gain on the upper body. You can do upper specialization there, though.

stacey 010
06-20-2006, 07:57 PM
hey hun...
i think your routine for your upper body is the problem. If you need to put on size (which is also dependant on your diet and calorie intake) you need to stick to compund movements.
if you get to hit your upper body twice a week, stick to a few compound exercises for each upper body part:

chest: db or bb bench press, db or bb incline or decline, flys are more isolating.
back: bent over reverse grip bb rows, lat pulldown, pull-ups, seated row (more isolating)
shoulders/rear delts/traps: military press, lat raises, bent over lat raises, shrugs (more isolating)
biceps: bb curls (main one) concentration curls, alternating curls, cable curls (more isolating exercises)
tris: skull crushers, dips, cable pull down, db overheads

either pick 1or 2 exercises from above and work your entire body (super set with the second exercise) or split up your body parts: chest and back in one work out, and shoulders, bis, tris in the other or chest, shoulders, and tris in one workout, and back and bis and abs in the other for example.

stick to compund movements that work more than one muscle group at a time, so bench press works both chest, front delts and tris.
And eat more!!!

stacey 010
06-20-2006, 07:59 PM
im sure many others will have great advice for you tho like lou, tricep girl, emma leigh mommy 123 and just about everyone else on thsi forum... :)

Miranda
06-20-2006, 11:41 PM
I don't have a strict particular diet. I think that I should eat more but I don't calculate the cals I take and I can't decide how much more I should eat.I believe I eat around 1600cals daily.

tracking you intake and figuring out you maintenance is essential. if you don't know where you are, how do you know where you want to go?

I am 5'9" 127lbs 19 years old.I really want to gain weight but only on the upper body because I am pear shaped!

stacey gave good tips for the upper body. i think you'd be better off doing full-body compound WOs 2-3 times a week.
your reps are too high. 6-8 reps are good for hypertrophy and 4-6 for strength.
biceps, triceps and other smaller muscle groups (which get hit by the compounds as well) you can train with 10-12 reps at the end of the workout.
a good basic WO really is about the bench, the squat, the deadlift and bent over rows - spread over several days with some of the other stuff thrown in.

puppy
06-21-2006, 03:31 AM
Thanks for answering!I will calculate the cals I consume and I will tell you.I will change my workout as Stacey suggested.