PDA

View Full Version : how big should breakfast be?

karate_girl
06-19-2006, 05:06 AM
Hi all,

As I am training more with weights and eating more smaller meals I have found that I am waking up quite hungry in the morning - not that it is a problem, but i am just unsure of how many calories I should be getting in the first meal - more precisely how much carbs vs protein - I try to eat approx 1600 cals a day spread over 6 meals. Some mornings I can easily eat 500 -600 cals at breakfast alone - I think it may be way too much - but it is not the usual. Breakfast is usually oatbran and oats and egg whites.
Before doing cardio I will usually have 1/2 a bananna and maybe 1/2 protein shake (should these be factored in when I have a proper breakfast when I get home?)
Also, does the type of fruit matter, or should i stick to protein only?

2) Also, my second question - am going on vacation at the end of the week and am unsure if i will be able to have the usual oatbran and oats (am sure I will not) so what do you gals think about shreaded wheat with skim milk and a shake?

Thanks for the help

EmAzing
06-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi all,

As I am training more with weights and eating more smaller meals I have found that I am waking up quite hungry in the morning - not that it is a problem, but i am just unsure of how many calories I should be getting in the first meal - more precisely how much carbs vs protein - I try to eat approx 1600 cals a day spread over 6 meals. Some mornings I can easily eat 500 -600 cals at breakfast alone - I think it may be way too much - but it is not the usual. Breakfast is usually oatbran and oats and egg whites.
Before doing cardio I will usually have 1/2 a bananna and maybe 1/2 protein shake (should these be factored in when I have a proper breakfast when I get home?)
Also, does the type of fruit matter, or should i stick to protein only?

2) Also, my second question - am going on vacation at the end of the week and am unsure if i will be able to have the usual oatbran and oats (am sure I will not) so what do you gals think about shreaded wheat with skim milk and a shake?

Thanks for the help

I guess it all depends on your goals.
I was always under the impression that if the goal is fat loss then to exercise on an empty stomach or to eat at least 2 hours before cardio was the best.

In my experience I try to keep each meal around 300 calories. For me, that helps counting calories for the remainder of the day and keeping them under control. I find that if I eat protien in the morning and limit carbs I am more satisfied throught the day as well.
I think as long as you are combing a source of protein with your carbs and watching portions, you are alright.
Vacation is rough for most people trying to stick to their diet. Good luck
hope that helps.

stealth_swimmer
06-21-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm not about to give fake statistics or anything, but I always try making breakfast my biggest meal(not too huge thoug). Then again, I workout at around 2 p.m. or even 4 p.m. The meal right before working out( like 2 or 3 hrs before) is just a snack such as an apple for energy. I don't want to lose my lunch because I wasn't done digesting it before I worked out.

Mango
06-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Fasted cardio=b.s. :D

I'd say 500 to 600 cals at a single meal is too much for a typical day, especially if you're only eating 1600 calories a day.

But your hunger is probably a sign that either your meals are not balanced enough, that your metabolism has increased and needs more food, or that you need to drink more water. But that is a low number for somebody to eat if they're working out. That is a common rest day number of calories.

You're clearly health conscious, and I doubt you are going to drift from the good nutrition to which you are accustomed. Typically, processed foods are no good, but you are pretty much doing the best you can when you're on vacation. Shredded wheat is a decent choice, but I'd say Fiber 1 is even better.

You might consider switching that banana to post workout. Banans are used to spike insulin, which isn't the most ideal for preworkout. You'd prefer to have a long lasting, complex carb, preworkout. The whey powder is good, though.

daYDreAmErX
06-21-2006, 08:45 PM
My meal 1 (breakfast) is always big. I say meal 1 because when I work during the night, I take my breakfast around 8 pm :D

I guess it's normal, but I really don't know. For me, it works really well because I usually train 2 hours after.

Luvdogs
06-21-2006, 10:24 PM
I love breakfast! I think it depends on when you workout. I agree with TricepGirl that a little food before cardio is good. I w/o in the am so Pre workout (for weight training) I have 1/4 c oats then add 1 scoop protein powder to it after cooking. After I get home I have a Post w/o shake of: 1 scoop protein powder, BCAA's, All One (a vit/min supp, powdered) and 1/4 OJ with a little water. Not the tastiest thing, but does the job. Then after shower, I have my normal breakfast which works out to be 335 cals., 21 gr protein, 65 gr carbs. (oats, protein powder, fiber one, blueberries, 1/4 c soy milk). I am eating 1800-2000 cals per day though. I'd say I generally get 500 from all the above. If it is just cardio day (again a.m. workout) I have the Post w/o shake before cardio except I substitute soy milk for the OJ and use chocolate pp :).

mnways
06-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Breakfast is my fave! i go over board like 800 cals ... i feel it keeps my hunger down all day.. i eat around 2000 cals. I think whatever you find works is the best. I think without my big breakfasts my overall calories would increase alot otherwise.

stellar
06-22-2006, 07:09 AM
i love breakfast but i try to keep it under 300 calories. i usually have:

-1 whole egg (fried w/ coconut oil), 1 slice high fibre bread, 1/2 tsp almond butter.
or
-3/4 c. egg whites, scrambled in coconut oil and 2 oz. lean turkey sausage, 1 slice bread
or, if i'm on the go, i'll take
-1 serving of Kashi Go Lean and milk. I use full fat milk but cut it with water.

I eat organic food because i feel like it keeps me full longer and i want to get the most out of the measly 1600 calories that i eat in a day.