PDA

View Full Version : Weight Training and Weight Loss

tlewis9317
06-18-2006, 04:50 PM
I am 38 year old woman and I been dieting because I would like to lose 25 more pounds. I do cardio 4 days a week for 45 minutes per session and I weight train 3 days a week for 45 minutes per session. I use 5 and 10 pound dumbells but for some reason my arms are getting bigger. The lower part of my body is shrinking but my arms keep getting bigger when I weight train. I eat about 1700-1800 calories per day so I don't understand why this is happening. Can anyone offer me advice on how to prevent this from happening?

Luvdogs
06-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Hi there,

Is your goal strictly weight loss? Do you want to build muscle? I think lifting heavier would be beneficial for a lot of reasons. More muscle equals faster metabolism which equals a leaner body. As you can see in my signature, I have lost 39 lbs. and since I started lifting heavy in Feb. and doing less cardio my body has changed a lot for the better. I have pictures from Nov. where I thought I looked good at 130 lbs. and now the shape of my arms is sooo different. I lift in the 6-8 rep range. Your calories seem about right. How tall are you?

Laurie
06-19-2006, 04:00 AM
I use 5 and 10 pound dumbells but for some reason my arms are getting bigger. The lower part of my body is shrinking but my arms keep getting bigger when I weight train. I eat about 1700-1800 calories per day so I don't understand....

Fat is taken from all parts of the body to fuel the energy needed to increase your metabolism while exercising. That is where the fat is going and why your lower body is "shrinking". You may have noticed any upper body fat has been decreasing too. With that, any muscle build up will be more noticeable too.

By lifting weights, though, you are increasing muscle mass...BUT at the same time getting stronger. Not a bad thing, especially with women needing more upper body strength for all sorts of everyday things....especially if you have children!. This is the trade off to some degree but not unwanted.

By the way, women will not become heavily muscled like the male bodybuilders. We do not make enough testosterone for that. Normally women do get a more "fit", more sinewy, curvy look. Female bodybuilders have to work very hard to get that "look" you see nowadays through years of hard lifting, special diets and more. But then, when female bodybuilding started, there was the likes of Rachel MacLeish who represented just that strong, curvy "look". Fashion comes and goes. Some women do have the genetics to build muscle very well, while others do not.

But if you are fearful about your arms getting "bigger" (whatever that means) Then stop lifting the dumbbells.

Now, scales only show weight. That's it. It will not show what is the difference between fat weight or muscle that has been built. Not even your bone structure. Just weight....period. Why when dieting, you use clothes as the best indicator of what is really going on. You say your lower body is getting smaller....good. But dont discount gaining muscle as a bad thing.

I am postmenopausal and 54. I lift to keep my bones strong, to keep any age and work related arthritis from getting worse. To remain as flexible as I can for as long as I can. You at 38 should keep this in mind too.

I started lifting back in 2002 and went from being 245 (and more) for most of my life to become 165. Something I have not been in nearly 35 years of marriage. Did this without cardio through lifting moderately heavy weights three days a week for a year at college class. Then kept it up for another two years or so, at home. Went through several plateaus. Learned what is "myth" and what is not too.

Due to family and business, I have not really lifted weights since late 2004 but managed to keep my weight constant through diet moderation after learning how to eat properly. I am 5'6", largeboned and at my age, I am finally wearing clothes sizes I have not seen in 40 years. This having raising two kids to adulthood and both by ceasarean (both ways)

Remember, the scales only tell "weight". Not how much is fat nor how much muscle built from lifting. Just "weight". The insurance charts say I should be approximately 140 (depending on charts) for my height, age and bone structure. So? BUT I know the difference from my clothes and my overall health.

tlewis9317
06-23-2006, 06:26 PM
I was recently told that I should do more cardio to prevent my arms from getting bigger. A friend of mine said I should increase my cardio to six days a week. I am 5'7 and I weigh 155 lbs. I am also wondering if I should decrease my calorie intake to about 1400-1600 calories.

txssweetie
06-23-2006, 10:27 PM
No, decreasing your calories is the last thing you want to do. 1700-1800 is a good amount for you, (if not more!) If you decrease your cals, your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto all the fat that's left, especially with all that cardio. Trust me, the more you eat, the better results you'll get.
Also 6 days a week of cardio is useless. Once you start doing that much, your body could very well COUNTERACT your goals. I recommend weight training 3-4 days a week and 1-3 sessions of cardio per week.

BlondeAmazon
06-25-2006, 11:50 AM
I was recently told that I should do more cardio to prevent my arms from getting bigger. A friend of mine said I should increase my cardio to six days a week. I am 5'7 and I weigh 155 lbs. I am also wondering if I should decrease my calorie intake to about 1400-1600 calories.

define "bigger" Are they MEASUREING larger? Are they Harder? Fatter? What is Bigger exactly? Sounds like you need to figure out your goals first- Is muscle gain and health your goal? or cosmo girl slim and petite with no muscle? I figure if you pick up your arm and you can flex it and NOTHING moves-- that is success... But my goals arnt everyones..

tlewis9317
06-25-2006, 12:39 PM
When I said I noticed that my arms have gotten bigger, they have become toned but I can't fit into the same short sleeve shirts that I wore last summer. They are tight in the arms. Just in the arms. The rest of the shirt fits looser on me than this time last year. I am trying to lose 25 pounds and I would also like to tone up my body at the same time. I have lost 25 pounds since January and I recently increased my weight training and that is when I noticed the difference in the size of my arms. My arms barely fit in the sleeves but and they are getting muscular.