PDA

View Full Version : Bulking - Cutting

Alex_Blais47
06-18-2006, 05:04 PM
Hey guys. I've read many many topics and I did understand how Bulking and Cutting worked and how they can't be done at the same time. My question now is, wich one should you do first.

Should you bulk and then loose the extra fat by cutting. Or should you Cut and then Bulk.

I am not fat but I do have a bit of excess. I would like to see my abs and stuff like that. But I still do want to build some muscles. Should I start by cutting and then bulking? I think that's what Im supposed to do but I don't really understand because when you bulk you eat more so you do have calories in excess so you store some fat.

So.. what am I supposed to do? Bulk or Cut first? Or maybe switch from one to another time to time?

imperfectly_lou
06-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Generally, you should bulk first, then cut. The reason for this is higher your muscle mass, the higher your basal metabolic rate so the easier you will find it to cut. You also usually lose a small amount of muscle mass when cutting so it makes sense to build it up first.

Hope this helps!

Alex_Blais47
06-19-2006, 06:31 AM
Thanks, I get it now. How long is the cutting phase approximately?

elektra513
06-21-2006, 02:30 PM
I would like to know this, too.

nacersusaf
06-21-2006, 04:23 PM
It isn't impossible to add muscle and lose fat at the same time (I am successfully doing this right now), it just takes a lot of effort. I suggest that you first bulk, then cut. For me personally, it's hard on me mentally to watch myself get bigger, because I tend to gain a lot of fat too. What I have done in the past is bulk just a bit, then cut just a bit, and repeat. It helps so that at the end of a big bulk I'm not faced with 10 months of dieting trying to get off the fat I gained along with my new muscle.