PDA

View Full Version : How come my abs don't burn?

betterbody4me
06-18-2006, 10:19 AM
I read other people's post about their ab workouts, and they talk about their abs being sore the day after...How come mine aren't, but at the same time my stomach won't shrink...I have a bunch of fat on my stomach, and I don't know how to get it off!

I wish I would have found this website earlier to catch the abs competition that you all did, maybe that would have helped. I don't how many other women are dealing with a c-section cut and stretch marks, but I wonder if I will ever get a flat stomach again?

I feel somewhat discouraged...my personal trainer says I will but I'm not sure he is right. He also said to do my ab workout everyday because I'm going to be trying to compete in October, but everything I read here says to not work the abs everyday. I clean eat, but I don't see the results in my ab area. Can somebody help me...maybe I'm not doing the right ab workout! HELP!

Right now I have been doing crunches, reverse crunches, legs in the air, and lifting my butt slowly off the floor, which (these hurt a lot while I'm doing them), crabs, planks, weighted supermans. I do 3 sets of 15's, and I have been working up to 3 minute planks and superman's. What am I doing wrong?

I even tried Denise Austin's hit the spot abs tape because she talks about women being able to get a nice flat stomach after having children, but I don't see results. It is a good workout, but I'm usually not sore after that either!

Fit_Darling
06-18-2006, 10:53 AM
I used to have that problem--my abs would never become sore the next day, even though I feel like I thoroughly work them out often. I made some slight changes and have gotten great results....but this may work differently for you and other people:

-trying at least one new ab exercise that I have never done before
-focusing on using more weighted ab exercises
-advancing to harder ab exercises which I can only complete around 10 reps. For example, the hanging leg raise.

Good luck, and hope this helps!

girlinseattle
06-18-2006, 10:57 AM
Sounds like you're super fit already, and I'm sure you already look great; but everyone seems to have problems of some sort with abs.

Do you know your body fat %?

It's impossible to spot-reduce. Maybe your trainer already mentioned this. Lowering overall body fat % will lower the amount of fat on tummy, naturally. Easier said than done though.

OR

Sometimes posture and practicing "vacuum stomach" exercises (it's talked a lot here on this site like at http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ms-fit5.htm), which is sucking your stomach in and modifying your posture to the point of constantly engaging your core muscles in your everyday activity.

AND

To explain the lack of burning, maybe you're using your leg flexors (psoas and illiopsoas muscles in particular) instead of targetting abs when doing these exercises. Focus on squeezing the front of the abdomen only.

I have this problem... I have strong legs/quads... and when doing ab work, I would let my body recruit my leg flexors, lower back, or anything else but abs, to do the work. As a result, I don't feel the burn, and my abs are barely doing any work.

I've never been a fan of ab work... but once I started focusing on trying to make my abs concave/engaged while doing ab work vs. just trying to pull my legs/body up, I started feeling it. Also reducing the range of motion and just "crunching" and just forcing me to isolate the abs helps. Sorry I can't explain in words much better.

CHEERS

and Good luck.

Sin`cere
06-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Im not a female, but posture/vaccuum's do help alot. You can also carb cycle, I find my best/greatest result's are LOW LOW LOW carb's, almost ketogenic, beside's a 1/2 cup oats + veggie's, and low fat's as well, it goes against most thought's, but it always works for me.

but carb cyclying always works for me.

RussianBlue
06-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Do you work your other muscle groups everday?
Probably not, so why should you work your abs every day?
If you do compound exercises, they will target your abs as well.

If fat is covering someone's abs, you need to clean up your diet.

betterbody4me
06-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Everyone for sharing your thoughts with me, and yes I agree that my diet is the most important aspect of me seeing any results on my ab area. I haven't been clean eating for a long time, so maybe that's why I still have fat on the belly.

Also, is their any other females that have stretch marks, and had to under go a c-section, and if so, do you now have a flat tummy, or are my expectations to high, will I ever achieve a flat tummy with stretch marks and a c-section incision? Anyone with this experience please let me know what you've done to achieve a flatter tummy!

RussianBlue
06-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Do you think your trainer is helping you at all?

betterbody4me
06-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Actually, I like my trainer and his wife a lot! I'm not sure what you are actually asking me, but yes, they are helping me to live a healthier lifestyle that's for sure.

Mango
06-18-2006, 08:48 PM
^^^^I think what they are asking you is not whether or not you have a good relationship with your trainer, but if you really think they're qualified to help you. If you have not been eating clean for a long time, patience is your best perscription. Keep track of your abs via the mirror, clothes, and the all important measurements.

Continue to eat clean, but, are you sure you are REALLY eating clean?? What exact kinds of foods and combinations are you eating??
Are you using your core throughout your other movements??
What is your cardio like??

For sure:
*Do NOT work your abs every day. Just accept that you didn't work them hard enough to get DOMS and on your next training session, up the intensity.
*Increase the intensity by adding weight, adding reps, or by holding positions.
*Maybe you aren't doing good enough cardio. Are you steady state, HIIT, or both??

justagirl
06-18-2006, 08:57 PM
i agree with everything posted. cut a bit of that fat and working abs everyday is counterproductive imo

some things that help me up the ab workout intensity (and i am ALWAYS sore the next day)

contract my abs VERY hard while doing challenging moves like vups and leg raises and decline crunches

do 'pulses' at the end of the set where you do the contraction part of the move quickly for 20-40 reps

keep my stomach pulled in when i exhale during all ab exercises

do the exercises SLOOOWLY

try new things, pilates is actually very challenging for my abs. i used winsor pilates advanced tape and it got me sore for months (of course i made the moves a bit more challenging by contracting more, sucking in more, etc) and i still find some of the moves very hard

WillDeadliftForFood
06-18-2006, 09:23 PM
Lower bodyfat.

WEIGHTED ab work.

98shadow
06-19-2006, 07:42 AM
I had a c-section and have stretch marks and kinda loose skin, so I will
never wear a bikini again BUT I have a flat stomach and good ab muscles.
I look great it clothes just not so great naked. O Well can't have everything.
My arm are awesome though

betterbody4me
06-20-2006, 04:29 AM
Thanks for the reply...I was beginning to think I was alone in the whole c-section/sm area, but I guess not. Just when I think I'm unique, I'm not! Thanks for your thoughts everyone...it was well appreciated!

kbdub
06-21-2006, 10:01 AM
i agree with everything posted. cut a bit of that fat and working abs everyday is counterproductive imo

some things that help me up the ab workout intensity (and i am ALWAYS sore the next day)

contract my abs VERY hard while doing challenging moves like vups and leg raises and decline crunches

do 'pulses' at the end of the set where you do the contraction part of the move quickly for 20-40 reps

keep my stomach pulled in when i exhale during all ab exercises

do the exercises SLOOOWLY

try new things, pilates is actually very challenging for my abs. i used winsor pilates advanced tape and it got me sore for months (of course i made the moves a bit more challenging by contracting more, sucking in more, etc) and i still find some of the moves very hard
agreed...funny how people say their abs dont burn and you see them blazing through sets using momentum. then you make them count to 4 on the way up and down and their abs are sore for the week and it hurts to laugh.
Slow down...once this stops working then add some weight or do pulses as stated above

wolfskin
06-28-2006, 12:37 AM
i am trying a lot to get my abs into flatter shape but its just not happening! it makes me sad and i will blame myself for being careless.i will do my reps for a week or so and then once again i will just lose it and i will neglect those abs.i can understand how you feel, i feel the same way too!is there really no way out?

~Lisa~
06-28-2006, 01:42 AM
Hey bb4me! How are all these ab suggestions working for you? Tried any of them yet? I have a few of my own, in case you'd like to hear more.

I used to have a pretty good muffin top growing and a poochy belly. I've had two kids and am getting older, so you know how it goes. I do believe abs are made in the kitchen, so to speak... but once you've cleaned up your diet and the fat melts off, you gotta have something good built up under there!!

Here are my ab exercises... I could not be ANY happier with the results!! It's been a process... starting with doing Core Secrets type work on a big swiss stability ball. I've phased off of that now, and focus on two primary ways to work my abs:

1. Hanging Knee Lifts. I use those Super Abs arm slings clipped up onto the pull up bar at my gym. Get your arms into those slings and just let your feet hang straight down. Bring your knees up nice and controlled so that your body doesn't swing. It might take a few days to get good at doing these, but once you do, LOOK OUT! I am up to doing 4 sets of 20 three times a week. I also do obliques by twisting my hips and bringing my knees up to my side!

2. I use an 8-9lb medicine ball for my other ab work. Three different exercises...

a. Lay on back with the ball held between your knees and hands behind head. Crunch everything up until your head touches, or almost touches the ball, then release...but don't let either your head or your feet touch the ground. Keep the contraction going. Repeat lots.

b. Lay on back with the ball between your knees with your arms outstretched to either side. Slowly drop your knees and the ball over to the right side, leaving your back straight and on the floor. Don't let the knees actually touch the ground, tho. Then bring the ball back up to center. Then drop to left side, without touching ground. Repeat lots.

c. Lay on back with knees bent, feet on floor. Hold the ball straight above your head and do a very controlled, vertebrae by vertebrae, sit up, until the ball is up high and you're sitting straight up. Release and roll slowly back down. Repeat lots.

I used to do loads of knee ups while sitting on the end of a bench... but the hanging knee lifts really work me a lot harder.

mommy*2*3
06-28-2006, 04:48 AM
Developing your abs and making them burn requires proper form, breathing and squeezing those muscle with every rep. Make sure the exercises you are performing are challanging enough for you and really focus on form. Do each rep slowly...you may have to train your body to use your abs because if your form is wrong, other muscles will kick in.
You shouldn't work your abs everyday BUT it's OK to start working them everyday about a month before a comp...this will harden them up a bit more.

BTW....Hanging leg lifts are great for developing those abs :)

*supermomma*
07-01-2006, 05:52 PM
I read other people's post about their ab workouts, and they talk about their abs being sore the day after...How come mine aren't, but at the same time my stomach won't shrink...I have a bunch of fat on my stomach, and I don't know how to get it off!

I wish I would have found this website earlier to catch the abs competition that you all did, maybe that would have helped. I don't how many other women are dealing with a c-section cut and stretch marks, but I wonder if I will ever get a flat stomach again?

I feel somewhat discouraged...my personal trainer says I will but I'm not sure he is right. He also said to do my ab workout everyday because I'm going to be trying to compete in October, but everything I read here says to not work the abs everyday. I clean eat, but I don't see the results in my ab area. Can somebody help me...maybe I'm not doing the right ab workout! HELP!

Right now I have been doing crunches, reverse crunches, legs in the air, and lifting my butt slowly off the floor, which (these hurt a lot while I'm doing them), crabs, planks, weighted supermans. I do 3 sets of 15's, and I have been working up to 3 minute planks and superman's. What am I doing wrong?

I even tried Denise Austin's hit the spot abs tape because she talks about women being able to get a nice flat stomach after having children, but I don't see results. It is a good workout, but I'm usually not sore after that either!

Working your abs isn't going to get rid of the fat covering them. It's all diet.

miki9191
06-06-2012, 02:26 AM
ive been training at the gym for almost 9 months great results i seem to be able to bulk and get every muscle in my body defined but not my abbs ive been doing abbs almost everyday after workout for about 4 months and i dont have abbs im only 114 pounds i have a shredded physic

megdaig
06-06-2012, 06:07 AM
WOW! Bumping a post from 2006?!

stephypearson94
07-18-2014, 04:13 PM
Working your abs isn't going to get rid of the fat covering them. It's all diet.

What diet do you follow?
I exercise frequently and have had many personal trainers trying to help me with abs but i seem to have no ab muscle there even when i tense!! Ive spent hours training and sometimes they hurt the day after but nit compared to an arm or leg exercise and i am dying for a flat tummy!
I dont eat dairy and eat relatively healthy, lots of salad wraps etc.. are there any tricks i could use??

oregonchick76
07-18-2014, 05:35 PM
What diet do you follow?
I exercise frequently and have had many personal trainers trying to help me with abs but i seem to have no ab muscle there even when i tense!! Ive spent hours training and sometimes they hurt the day after but nit compared to an arm or leg exercise and i am dying for a flat tummy!
I dont eat dairy and eat relatively healthy, lots of salad wraps etc.. are there any tricks i could use??Wow! Bumping a post from 2006 that was bumped in 2012...