PDA

View Full Version : Running 10K and keep BB ?

daYDreAmErX
06-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Hello,

This message is not for me, it's for a friend of mine with whom I train at the gym. She's 21 and really bodybuilding. She hates cardio, but she does it 2-3 times each week to burn fat, not to gain cardio in any ways. So here's what she asked me :

Is it possible to reach a 10K objective in running (this is for a special cause, people will finance each kilometers of a race organized for youth who have cancer) if the race takes place in the first week of next September ? She told me she understand that she may lose few muscle gain, but she really want to do it. The length is not important, the important is to run the race (no walking).

She is actually doing a for days workout upper/lower body and 2-3 x 30 minutes of elliptical machine each week.

Could you share some tips so I could help her ?

Thanks a lot,

Val

Outdoor Girl
06-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Are you talking about this coming September, or 2007? Three months is not a lot of time, how far can she run now?

My suggestions: don't overdo it - no need to run every day - rest is important too. She can vary shorter, faster runs on some days, endurance runs other days. A good website for running is coolrunning.com - lots of great info and some good training programs.

I do an eight mile run once a week, am building up to thirteen for a half marathon. :)

Good luck!

98shadow
06-19-2006, 07:47 AM
If she in not a competetive bodybuilder she should be ok.
Running does not help bodybulding, but being strong certainly helps running.
I work out very seriously but don't really consider myself a bodybuilder and
run about 25 miles a week and do races once in awhile for fun.
I don't seem to be having any trouble doing both but again I do them both
for fun and fitness and am not competetive in either one