PDA

View Full Version : how much tuna is tooo much tuna??

i crave mass
06-17-2006, 05:52 PM
i currently eat 3 cans a day, mainly cuz its good protien, good efas and its the one thing i can eat that kills the taste of broccilli hahha. im thinking about making it 4 cans a day so i can eat some more broccili?? i know it sounds dumb but hey ya gotta do what ya gotta do right? all helps is really apreciated thanks

DIO2000
06-17-2006, 08:46 PM
i think i posted this same question about a year ago. And the folks told me to do a search on 'tuna' and see the number of posts. They say that 3 cans A WEEK is too much due to the mercury content. I used to eat 3 cans a day too. I drastically cut it down to 2 cans a week. I now do an extra portion of protein and try to get in another serving of something like cottage cheese.

dbx
06-17-2006, 08:57 PM
There's a lot of misinformation about tuna, as well as conflicting reports. You primarily want to stay away from white/Albacore tuna as most studies agree it has higher levels of mercury (or the potential for). Chunk light tuna is considered pretty darn safe. I wouldn't eat 4 cans per day as a habit, but there are days I eat 3 cans and don't think twice about it. I probably avg. 6-8 cans per week.

Anyway, this subject has been done to death. Eat tuna, enjoy IMHO.

rackpull
06-27-2006, 04:57 PM
i currently eat 3 cans a day, mainly cuz its good protien, good efas and its the one thing i can eat that kills the taste of broccilli hahha. im thinking about making it 4 cans a day so i can eat some more broccili?? i know it sounds dumb but hey ya gotta do what ya gotta do right? all helps is really apreciated thanks

4 cans a day would be 2400mg of sodium?!?!!?

yobusta
06-27-2006, 06:15 PM
I read an article a while back about tuna and now i eat 2-3 cans a day. The article stated that the mercury scare is just a hoax environmentalist(i hope i spelled that right) made up.

S...
06-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Here is the EWG's tuna calculator which calculates your recommended daily tuna intake based on your weight:
http://www.ewg.org/issues/mercury/20031209/calculator.php

S.

ChristoffH
06-27-2006, 09:49 PM
I remember reading a study that said for the average person you should be safe with 1 can a day.

Also, what tuna is best? Regular or chunk light? Chunk light is always extremely cheap. Is there one to take over the other?

colubrid
06-27-2006, 10:03 PM
I remember reading a study that said for the average person you should be safe with 1 can a day.

Also, what tuna is best? Regular or chunk light? Chunk light is always extremely cheap. Is there one to take over the other?
As stated above chunk light has less mercury. I'm just currious why you guys don't eat more wild salmon it has a fraction of the mercury as tuna and is one of the worlds healthiest foods. It's packed with omega 3.

ChristoffH
06-27-2006, 10:27 PM
As stated above chunk light has less mercury. I'm just currious why you guys don't eat more wild salmon it has a fraction of the mercury as tuna and is one of the worlds healthiest foods. It's packed with omega 3.

I eat canned salmon.

Canned salmon, salsa, avocado, chips...mmm....

colubrid
06-27-2006, 10:50 PM
I eat canned salmon.

Canned salmon, salsa, avocado, chips...mmm....
I think all the canned salmon is wild. I just made a point of saying "wild" because I have read several times that wild is better for you.

Kat00
06-28-2006, 01:02 AM
I have a good mate who is an IFBB pro and he eats 10-15 cans a day. I know you think BS but I swear its true. He is around 130kgs off season at 12% and competes around the 115-120kg mark.
Mind you he is a mass monster, not a pleasing physique to the eye

Man2kx
06-28-2006, 01:50 AM
Search button is your friend, this topic has been beaten to death.

The only thing with eating that much tuna is if you'll be able to stomach it still come a few weeks.

apace
06-28-2006, 04:50 AM
I eat sometimes for cans a day and i remove the sodium by washing the tuna then do tuna Burgers with it

IcyHot
06-28-2006, 04:51 AM
Been eating 5 cans of chunk light per week for about a year now. No problems what-so-ever. I don't think there is an issue at that level.

Kesbo
06-28-2006, 08:29 AM
3 tins a day keeps the doctor away!