PDA

View Full Version : when increasing the weight becomes a problem

stacey 010
06-16-2006, 06:29 PM
just wanted to know what you guys do when you want to increase the weight you train with but simply cant because you cant support the bar or db.
I have been progressing on deadlifts and managed to get up to 62.5kg last night, i probably could have gone heavier, but cant hold onto the weight for long enough... as the bar tends to slip from my hands.... and my forearms are just too weak. Im using the powerlifing (one hand reverse) grip, but it can only take me this far...what do you guys do? one guy suggested a weight belt..but i dunno..anyone else use one...? id feel kinda wierd at my gym using one as im pretty much the only girl who full on weight trains..?

Superman
06-16-2006, 06:43 PM
How the hell is a weight belt going to help your grip?

Get some wrist straps from www.schiek.com or you can find the cheap ones about anywhere else

stacey 010
06-16-2006, 06:53 PM
How the hell is a weight belt going to help your grip?

Get some wrist straps from www.schiek.com or you can find the cheap ones about anywhere else

hahaha...yup sorry thats what i meant...something to help with my wrists...oops ...silly me

ChrystalR
06-16-2006, 10:08 PM
Straps are definitely an option until you can get your grip strength up. There's newer studies out (I haven't had a chance to confirm and read them myself though - FYI) that are showing moderate weight's that are done in good form SLOWLY show as much muscle gain as high weight low rep routines. Perhaps that's an option for you, really work the form and slow it down to get a really good burn at 12.

Fireman carries are always good to help work up that grip strength as well as forarm strength.

Nice job on the 62.5kg :) Keep pumpin!

karate_girl
06-17-2006, 04:38 AM
Hey - i have also had the same problem occasionaly with deadlifts - 60kg is my pb at the moment, but also with pull downs or anything else which puts pressure on my forearms, wrists or elbows. My tainer suggested that we try chalk, its meant to help a lot with the grip, also straps are meant to help too. Another option is to do the exercise which causes pain in the smaller muscles first, as they will be less fatigued and will give way less quickly.

stacey 010
06-17-2006, 04:53 AM
Hey - i have also had the same problem occasionaly with deadlifts - 60kg is my pb at the moment, but also with pull downs or anything else which puts pressure on my forearms, wrists or elbows. My tainer suggested that we try chalk, its meant to help a lot with the grip, also straps are meant to help too. Another option is to do the exercise which causes pain in the smaller muscles first, as they will be less fatigued and will give way less quickly.

hey thanks heaps for that...so maybe i could preexhaust with isolating exercises such as lying or seated leg curl and then move over to deadlifts...what about good mornings...?
any other great exercises for great hams...? im on the quest for great hams :)

egoatdoor
06-19-2006, 06:29 PM
I use lifting hooks instead of straps. Alot less hassle and they really strengthen the grip.

heman1320
10-15-2007, 06:49 PM
you definitely have to ask what you are trying to work out... forearm strength is not what you are trying to improve in that exercise. And about being singled out, I would rather be safe in the gym than hurt layed up in bed at home

smdiskin
10-16-2007, 01:28 AM
Definitely wrist straps....
I had the same problem for a long time... with my grip always giving out after about 2-3 reps at 70kg.... form was also going to pot as I was so focussed on not dropping the weight...
When I started using the straps I got 85kg the first day and worked it up to where I am now doing sets (8-10) with 100kg....
I still do the lighter sets at the start without the straps though... but I'm not sure I will ever be able to lift 100kg without them... my hands just don't fit around the bar and so the whole weight is on the fingertips.....
Good luck on breaking through the barrier...

imperfectly_lou
10-16-2007, 03:28 AM
I would work on increasing your grip strength. Things like farmer's walks, hangs off the chin bar and wrist curls will help increase your grip strength. I use straps as a last resort.

kellorie83
10-16-2007, 05:43 PM
If you decided to work on increasing your grip strength, nothing beats a rock-climbing wall!!

Lckymii
10-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Did that last weekend, and it is a great way to work on grip strength. If that's not enough for you try bouldering...

nockowt1
10-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Check out some of the posts about grip strength in the Powerlifing section here. Also check out:

www.gripboard.com
www.ironmind.com
www.gripfaq.com

Until you increase your grip strength straps or hooks can help.

rochepa
03-30-2009, 11:27 AM
I had the same problem with deadlifts and various other lifts until I bought these velcro wrist bands with a built in hook the velcro strap would go around the wrist and the hook part would run down into the palm of your hand. The barbell sits perfectly into the hooks eliminating grip problems so you can train to failure on your lifts without slips. Hope this was some help good luck.

L12ARD
03-31-2009, 12:51 AM
Do your deadlift first. Do like 5-8 sets of one rep, after warm-ups. You'll get more gains. Sounds like you're doin good.

elainedeluca
03-31-2009, 02:06 PM
Most of us grab the bar with out thumbs over our fingers. To do really heavy weight, adopt the Olympic style grip where your fingers go OVER your thumbs. It feels uncomfortable at first, but once you get used to it you will definitely notice a difference in how long or how much you can put on the bar...

egoatdoor
03-31-2009, 07:51 PM
Why are we reviving this thread? This lady hasn't posted here for almost three years. I doubt if she is going to read any of this.

sugardaddy
07-15-2009, 12:19 PM
is there a way to gain muscle without weights.and there is can you help a brother out because bodybuilding is my life man!!
holla back,
tony

erinlee01
07-15-2009, 02:15 PM
I would work on increasing your grip strength. Things like farmer's walks, hangs off the chin bar and wrist curls will help increase your grip strength. I use straps as a last resort.

I agree with this. Though straps are OK to get in a couple of heavy sets, I wouldn't rely on them as you will never develop grip or forearm strength.

smcon3
03-19-2010, 02:16 PM
just wanted to know what you guys do when you want to increase the weight you train with but simply cant because you cant support the bar or db.
I have been progressing on deadlifts and managed to get up to 62.5kg last night, i probably could have gone heavier, but cant hold onto the weight for long enough... as the bar tends to slip from my hands.... and my forearms are just too weak. Im using the powerlifing (one hand reverse) grip, but it can only take me this far...what do you guys do? one guy suggested a weight belt..but i dunno..anyone else use one...? id feel kinda wierd at my gym using one as im pretty much the only girl who full on weight trains..? I use the hand wraps or hand grips made by Golds. The work wonders.

kimm4
03-19-2010, 02:54 PM

I agree these type of exercises will def help your grip. I've never used straps, I use chalk.

dawndm
03-20-2010, 05:33 AM
When I first started deadlifting late last year I had the same problem. I couldn't get past 50Kg and my grip would go. Now, 3 months on I'm lifting 75kg. I'm sure my hanging knee raises helped me build the grip strength in my arms and hands as I saw a noticeable difference after a couple of weeks.