PDA

View Full Version : Do Isolation excercises have a place in intermmediate and advanced programs?

taoofjord
06-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Beginners, as I've read millions of time, should be sticking to compound free-weight movements. However, should intermediate and advanced lifters eventually start using machines and isolation excercises? Do they have a place?

edit: oops! wrong forum - this was meant for the workout program forum. How do I lock this?

bodybuilder420
06-13-2006, 03:25 AM
I've been training for over 10 years and I've always included isolation exercises. I even recommend them for my clients who are just starting out (along with the compound exercises).

Don't limit yourself to the exercises in your arsenal. Use everything you can to get your body to where you want it to be.

Goofxta
06-13-2006, 04:01 AM
Apparently the pros use them to define their muscles. Personally, I think its a big consipracy. Its been proven that movements that involve more than one joint or muscle are more beneficial than those that involve one.

bodybuilder420
06-13-2006, 01:56 PM
You gotta be kidding.....

taoofjord
06-13-2006, 08:41 PM
You gotta be kidding.....

Who?

NoNameNecessary
06-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Beginners, as I've read millions of time, should be sticking to compound free-weight movements. However, should intermediate and advanced lifters eventually start using machines and isolation excercises? Do they have a place?

edit: oops! wrong forum - this was meant for the workout program forum. How do I lock this?

If you are a bodybuilder, isolation exercises should definitely be performed for bodyparts that are considered weak. Isolation exercise are great depending on your goals, but they are overshadowed by compound exercises.

Isolation exercises, however, aren't the problem. The problem is uninformed beginners centering their routines around isolation exercises because they don't know any better.