PDA

View Full Version : very ectomorph

Norikumiin
06-10-2006, 01:35 PM
im 6'3" and 146 lbs, how much should i be eating and WHAT should i be eating? im going to pair up the dieting with a workout of course, but i really need to gain muscle mass, or really any mass at this point.

Superman
06-10-2006, 01:48 PM
everyone is different and has a different metabolism. First things first, get yourself on a consistant diet. if you want to you can calculate out all the calories and what not. Next, check you weight weekly, if you are loosing weight, add more calories the next week, if you are staying the same weight, add more calories, if you are gaining too much weigh (fat) take off some calories.

It's really not that difficult, you just need to fiddle around with the amount of calories needed and then be consistent.

as for what to eat, eat your basic bodybuilding foods (eggs, beef, chicken, salmon, potatoes, rice, etc.) to begin with and then as you get more advanced, you can tweak your diet

bodybuilder420
06-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Eat a lot. Read the articles on the main page here to get a diet idea.

Brer Ben
06-10-2006, 02:08 PM
i am an ectomorph and I have to gorge in order to gain any kind of weight. What works for me is a normal amount of fat, a moderate amount of protein, but LOADS of carbohydrates.

DFM1
06-10-2006, 06:44 PM
im 6'3" and 146 lbs, how much should i be eating and WHAT should i be eating? im going to pair up the dieting with a workout of course, but i really need to gain muscle mass, or really any mass at this point.

I was 6'3" and about 155 at your age. The good news is that you can pack 10-15 pounds on fairly quickly if you stick with lifting and making sure your not skipping meals and having one to two protien shakes a day. To get beyond that inital 10-15 pounds, you do really have to start eating a lot more. A blender will be your friend, because eating enough nutrious solid food can start to suck. I found that protien shakes made with milk, whole eggs, and flax seed oil really did the trick for me. Creatine was about the only other sup I thought helped.

Make sure your lifting legs as well as the upperbody. It can take time to get bigger, but if you stick with it you will see gains. Naturally you are at an age where your going to fill out some as well, so that should help. By 22 or 23 I'd gotten up to around 205 pounds. (And to be honest, that was with out lifting legs much, however I have since learned my lesson which is why I highly recommend not skimping there) It isn't as easy for the tall and skinny, but there is room on your frame to put together good size and strength.

Norikumiin
06-10-2006, 08:11 PM
I was 6'3" and about 155 at your age. The good news is that you can pack 10-15 pounds on fairly quickly if you stick with lifting and making sure your not skipping meals and having one to two protien shakes a day. To get beyond that inital 10-15 pounds, you do really have to start eating a lot more. A blender will be your friend, because eating enough nutrious solid food can start to suck. I found that protien shakes made with milk, whole eggs, and flax seed oil really did the trick for me. Creatine was about the only other sup I thought helped.

Make sure your lifting legs as well as the upperbody. It can take time to get bigger, but if you stick with it you will see gains. Naturally you are at an age where your going to fill out some as well, so that should help. By 22 or 23 I'd gotten up to around 205 pounds. (And to be honest, that was with out lifting legs much, however I have since learned my lesson which is why I highly recommend not skimping there) It isn't as easy for the tall and skinny, but there is room on your frame to put together good size and strength.

How can you drink those shakes without choking though? I mean that sounds disgusting. Does it taste okay or do you just have to suck it up and suffer through it? Would protein shake packets from GNC or something be as effective?

Lifting addict
06-11-2006, 07:42 AM
Weight gainers are Ecto's best friends. Either buy a decent brand or make your own (search "homemade weight gainers" or to that effect.

Just list the foods you enjoy to eat (a little of it can be not so healthy, but not all out pure junk) and base your diet around that. Low-med Fat (as said above) sufficient protein and plenty or good carbs.

If your consitent, eat enough and train hard your gains will come without question.

DFM1
06-11-2006, 02:02 PM
How can you drink those shakes without choking though? I mean that sounds disgusting. Does it taste okay or do you just have to suck it up and suffer through it? Would protein shake packets from GNC or something be as effective?

Other then the Flax seed oil, which does give them a little bite they are actually good. The eggs don't really have a taste and the milk and flavoring from the protein powders overpower everything. The eggs seem to make the shake richer and taste better then the milk and powder alone. I got to the point where I couldn't stand just taking a tablespoon of the flax seed alone and figured I'd try to hide the taste in the shake, which is what I found happened.

Protien powder itself doesn't have a lot of calories per serving, which as an ectomorph you are trying to add to your diet. Adding the eggs (pastuerized) and using milk instead of water will help you add calories, protien, and a little bit of fat and carbs to your shake to in essence do what the above poster talks about, that is make your own weight gainer for a significantly cheaper cost then buying a weight gainer. I started adding the flax seed oil because it is a significant source of calories and a source for omega fatty acids I wasn't getting elsewhere in my diet. (Get the good stuff that is kept cold at a health food store) Experiment with making your own shakes using different ingriedients as the above poster also talks about. The bottom line is you want something that gives you healthy calories from a easily digested source.

Inev
06-11-2006, 02:41 PM
a few things i love to eat are Hamburgers, its good protein and get some good whole grain buns to go on them =). chicken with organic/whole grain pasta is good to eat. Tunafish with whole grain breads are good. Cottage cheese in the morning is a good source of protein if your in a hurry.

Also, be sure to eat your fruit and take a vitamin or two. People have already mentioned weigth gainers, and that is a really good idea. Search the forrums for some recipies if you dont want to buy any. and a post-work out protein shake never hurts =)