PDA

View Full Version : Difficult Question (I think)

James5567
12-17-2002, 08:44 PM
When does your body store fat??

I mean, insulin is regarded as a hormone that will result in fat storage as well as muscle growth..And one of the many points of a low carb diet is to minimize insulin spikes so that fat will not be given a chance to be stored..Now that being said, there must be other ways to store fat other than insulin..You can't just sit around eat hamburgers and not store fat..So how does this process work??

#2 Also many people talk about calories, most say the key to fat loss is calories in-calories out, you need a defecit..And Ive heard that its been said that a carbohydrate at night is no different than a carbohydrate during the day as long as your caloric intake is below maintenance calories that day then you will not store fat..well how does your body "know" when you've reached your maintenance calorie #, (obviously your body does not have timer for a 24 hour day that says how many calories the maintenance level will be and that you have reached it already and its time to store fat)

#3 How Does alpha-lipoic acid affect how carbohydrates are used, is it true you will store less fat using it?? I understand it mimics insulin, so to me this would mean, the carbs would have a better chance being shuttled as muscle glycogen...

Thanks In Advance Everybody

James5567
12-18-2002, 12:15 PM
bump

Anxed
12-18-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by James5567

#2 Also many people talk about calories, most say the key to fat loss is calories in-calories out, you need a defecit..And Ive heard that its been said that a carbohydrate at night is no different than a carbohydrate during the day as long as your caloric intake is below maintenance calories that day then you will not store fat..well how does your body "know" when you've reached your maintenance calorie #, (obviously your body does not have timer for a 24 hour day that says how many calories the maintenance level will be and that you have reached it already and its time to store fat)

I'll let someone more eloquent then myself answer #1..

#2. You're body doesnt need to know anything.. your body (like a machine) is constantly burning fuel... while sitting there.. you are burning calories... you burn calories when you eat, sleep, drink, digest, etc... everything you do requires calories... maintenance calories is the amount of calories you should eat to sustain your daily activities and have no excess or deficit at the end of the day...

assuming maintenance calories.... think of your body like a car... you're goal with your car is to end up with zero fuel in the gas tank at the end of the day... but you are able to perform all your driving throughout the day... you add a little fuel every 2-3 hours... and you're car continues to burn fuel... by the time you get the car home you have no fuel in the tank, but you got all the way home and in the driveway... might be a bad analogy... so, oh well...

Babs
12-18-2002, 01:52 PM
if you eat too much fat and protein from hamburgers the extra calories will automatically be stored as fat if they are not burned or used towards synthesis or fats used for your hair and nails and maintaining your metabolic system. THe difference with carbs and insulin is that unless your glycogen stores are not full, whether or not the carb calories are enough yet to push you over your daily limit, those carbs will nevertheless be at risk of being stored as fat due to insulin sensitvity. That is the difference with fat storage from carbs i believe.

karen
12-18-2002, 04:08 PM
This is a very complex question because there are many factors involved in how a person`s body metabolizes calories.What kind of shape you are in to begin with and what you do all day has a lot to do with it.An overweight person who is out of shape and lacks muscle tone really doesn`t have to eat that much to maintain their weight.Fat is not metabolicaly active and is storage.It requires exercise and muscle mass aquisition to raise the metabolism.It requires frequent feedings of quality food to maintain the energy required to work out and recover to build the muscle.The calories have to be adjusted as the person progresses and builds muscle.If the person sits around all day day after day,the muscles will waste and metabolism will drop. If you eat very little all day your metabolism will slow down because your body is responding to the lack of food consumed and trying to spare it`s energy stores. If the person(a lady) then sits down and eats nearly all the days requirement in one sitting before going to bed 1500-1800 calories then that person is probably going to get fat.The person`s metablism is slowed down already and then after eating the large meal all of it is going to be used for immediate needs and fat storage during the night.The following day there is very little food consumed and the cycle begins again. That is why bodybuilders eat 4-6 meals a day to keep their metablism running and energy high through the day.I know that didn`t answer all of it but I did my best. I know this because I had a friend who ate like this.She had maybe orange juice for breakfast, a ham sandwich,a cookie and glass of milk for lunch and dinner was a whole spread of about 800-1200 calories at about 10:30 at night too.It wasn`t that she ate a whole lot of food.It was lack of physical activity combined with very poor eating habits that made her overweight.

James5567
12-18-2002, 06:26 PM
excellent,,, gives me something to think about....I appreciate all the responses!!

pounder
12-19-2002, 01:12 AM

Insulin is released by the pancreas in response to high blood sugar levels. Cells in the body have insulin receptors on their surface. Once insulin attaches to the insulin receptor, other receptors bring glucose into the cell from the bloodstream.

Type I diabetics don't produce insulin. A Type I diabetic can eat and eat and eat, but without insulin shots his (or her) body will actually be in a state of starvation.

So, yes, you can sit around and eat all day and not gain fat if you don't have an insulin reaction. You can also die if you don't have an insulin reaction - happens more often than you might think with Type I diabetics.

So an insulin reaction is, in my opinion, a good thing. If you eat a meal far in excess of your metabolic requirement at the time, the excess glucose absorbed by a cell will be converted into fat. This is why bodybuilders (and others) spread their meals out through the day - keeps metabolism high by avoiding a large insulin reaction and avoids storage as fat.

Different carbohydrates get different insulin reactions. More or less, a high glycemic index (GI) will result in a large insulin spike. The Adkins diet and others seek to avoid these insulin reactions to achieve weight loss.

By avoiding an insulin reaction, you're also avoiding getting nutrients in to your muscle cells. So you're not going to deposit fat, but you're certainly not going to deposit muscle either.

Yes, Weight Loss = Calories Expended - Calories Consumed

But the thing to remember here is that the calories you consume can affect your metabolism. Eating a meal high in fat and sugar will cause your metabolism to crash and stay low. Eating protein can help to raise your metabolism.

Another key point to remember here is that you want to burn fat and not muscle. Your body needs carbohydrates to burn fat. Not a lot, but you do need to consume carbs through to day to continue to burn fat. Also keep your cardio well below your anaerobic threshold (which is probably exercising with less intensity than you think).

I have heard alpha-lipoic acid referred to as an anti-oxidant. People believe that having anti-oxidant circulating free in your body will help eliminate free radicals (these have unpaired electrons and are highly reactive). Free radicals are thought to damage cells (reacting with something they shouldn't like DNA). I haven't heard anything about alpha-lipoic acid being similar to insulin.

Hope that helps