PDA

View Full Version : Question about calories...

silver01bullit
12-17-2002, 05:31 PM
What will the body burn for energy if it doesn't get enough calories? Right now I'm taking in enough protein but I'm a little short on total calories I think. Will I still be able to build muscle with the protein I'm taking in and "teach" my body to burn fat for energy or will my body automatically burn the protein for energy?

Spud
12-17-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by silver01bullit
What will the body burn for energy if it doesn't get enough calories? Right now I'm taking in enough protein but I'm a little short on total calories I think. Will I still be able to build muscle with the protein I'm taking in and "teach" my body to burn fat for energy or will my body automatically burn the protein for energy?

If you dont get enough calories to maintain bodymass than your body will start burning muscle, therefor you will become catabolic. If you rely on just protein, your body will then use that for energy and your muscle will not receive any. I HIGHYLY dont recommend what your saying to do! You cant "train" your body to burn certain things, it burns what it needs. I say keep you caloric intake at a decent level i.e. 2000. Plus whats your goal here, I take it your cutting. If your trying to build lean body mass while shedding fat, keep in mind that it will take a longer period of time to do so. Plus there's that fine line you need to stay on in order to do so, i.e.get enough calories to maintain muscle but not too many to put on fat. Give me a breakdown of your diet(cal, carb, fat, and protein intake), plus give me your training split and I can further answer your questions.

Marine2472002
12-17-2002, 06:53 PM
Here'e whats goin down:

If you dont get enough calories from fat and carbs, your body will then breakdown your muscle tissue into amino acids, be sent to convert to glycogen, then be used for energy,this is VERY catabolic and dangerous for the body. Protein is intended for structure construction and repair, not as energy.
And to the 2nd guy, yes you can actually train your body to burn certain things. Obviously the desirable thing to burn is fat. By doing speed drills and quick, explosive movement,s you wont be burning fat, but your bodys glcogen stores, you want to burn fat. So moderate exercise is appealing for this. If you're bulking, you want the majority of your cals to come from fats and carbs, protein is still important, but not the most important macronutrient for bulking.

LG. :cool:

Spud
12-17-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Marine2472002
Here'e whats goin down:

And to the 2nd guy, yes you can actually train your body to burn certain things.

How so? The only way I can see how you can "train" your body to burn certain things, is to put certain things in your body. Its not like you can set a precedence on what gets burned first or furthermore..... more of. IMO. But if you can, I would like to know.

Marine2472002
12-17-2002, 07:04 PM
Yes there is...while at rest you're burning fat....during intense exercise glycogen (carbs) and moderate exercise Fat....you only burn protein when your body is carb depleted and has just enough fat to perform certain body functions (insulation, organ protection etc.) SO yes, there is an order, a priority if you will in which fuels are burnt

Spud
12-17-2002, 07:15 PM
Ok I understand, so your going to burn protein and eventually muscle if you deprive your body of enough carbs and fats, or if your training level supercedes your diet Makes sense.....thanks!

calteoh
12-17-2002, 08:09 PM
but how easy is it for your body to start burning protien??? does it happen easily like if you miss a meal or two....or only in extreme cases?