PDA

View Full Version : How servings of fruits and veggies per day?

WWE-TicK
06-04-2006, 11:03 AM
As bodybuilders, how many servings of fruits and veggies should we get per day?

The way I've always done my diet is that I aim for a certain amount of protein per day, which is around 300g to 350g. I only count the protein I get from animal sources (tuna, chicken, eggs ... sometimes beef) and I never count the protein obtained from plants (so in actuality, I might be getting well over 350g per day if I include the protein from plant sources). Once I get that, I fill up the rest of my calories from carbs and some fats until I'm not hungry all the time. However, most of those carb calories are almost exclusively from sources like brown rice. In fact, for the past couple of years it's been almost 100% brown rice due to sheer laziness on my part.

I occasionally have a piece of fruit, but I think I really need to start incorporating more fruits and veggies into my diet on a regular basis. If not for bodybuilding, but for general health reasons.

Jim_Gym
06-04-2006, 12:07 PM
I like to eat at least three servings of fruit and three of vegetables each day. I eat the fruit earlier in the day, like a banana or orange as part of my breakfast pre-workout, and some watermelon or grapes with my shake and oats post-workout and some blueberries or an apple with my post-post workout meal. Then I switch to vegetables with my three meals later in the day, especially green veggies.

PeterWeinrauch
06-04-2006, 12:23 PM
I have a variety of green vegtables from spinache to broccoli to green beans, and then tomatoes and carrots, with every single meal of the day. I only eat fruits with my pre-work out shake which is 20g of protein from whey, 2 apples, strawberries, and a banana or some variety of those three. That way, I get the slow release of the carbs from the veggies all day, and the quick release of the sugars from the fruit through out my entire work out. It has been working great for me.