PDA

View Full Version : Eating healthy on travel, staying at hotels..

sargo
05-27-2006, 05:16 PM
Ok, I travel occasionally for work. Usually its for only a couple days, or a week at most, so its not really a problem. When it has been for longer then that, I've been fortunate enough to stay at hotels with full kitches, so I could cook a proper meal. Anyway, I will be one travel for about 2 weeks coming up. I will have access to buy food, put it in a fridge, and there is one microwave in the lobby. So, any suggestions on what to eat. Any good healthy microwave foods you know of? Basically, breakfast is a full hot complimentary at the hotel, so it shouldn't be a problem. I will eat my normal healthy small meals through the day. But, as far as eating out at restaurants for dinner, any suggestions? I wan't to eat and have healthy food. I've seen the movie "Super Size Me." Honesty, I don't eat out a lot, so I don't know. By the way, I'm not the type who can survive on salads and whatnot, I need calories. Thanks for the suggestions.

saihaynes
05-28-2006, 08:04 AM
Just be sensible. By the sounds of things you know what you should be eating (if you dont check out some of the other threads/stickies etc). It really isnt worth worrying about too much, eat clean fresh food where possible and supplement with meal replacements if you really need too...

Sai

djdefcon
05-28-2006, 08:17 AM
I don't know why everyone over looks going to Whole Foods or a supermarket for precooked meals. Whole Foods (If there is one near you) has amazing pre-cooked meals. So instead of thinking of getting takeout or fast food, hit up the market. Shoprite and Stop & Shop have some "healthy" precooked stuff, they do have plain grilled lemon chicken breast that is good.

sugapablo
05-28-2006, 08:24 AM
I don't know why everyone over looks going to Whole Foods or a supermarket for precooked meals. Whole Foods (If there is one near you) has amazing pre-cooked meals. So instead of thinking of getting takeout or fast food, hit up the market. Shoprite and Stop & Shop have some "healthy" precooked stuff, they do have plain grilled lemon chicken breast that is good.

Fine in a city. But when I go on vacation to a place like Ocean City, MD, I have a HELL of a time eating well. Being vegetarian hurts that much more.

This year, I'm just saying "screw it" and bringing down a bunch of food with me. The room has a small "college fridge". While I ca'nt pass up at least one trip to Thrashers for their fries, I'm going to need a lot of nutritious food in my room to stay right.

djdefcon
05-28-2006, 08:32 AM
Fine in a city. But when I go on vacation to a place like Ocean City, MD, I have a HELL of a time eating well. Being vegetarian hurts that much more.

This year, I'm just saying "screw it" and bringing down a bunch of food with me. The room has a small "college fridge". While I ca'nt pass up at least one trip to Thrashers for their fries, I'm going to need a lot of nutritious food in my room to stay right.

Bringing your own food is always the best option and best way to keep your diet in check. I almost always pre-cook and package my meals for the work week. Eventhough I do buy grilled chicken or shrimp at this local market by me, I always bring my brown rice & vegtable mix or whatever I'm eating.

deserusan
05-28-2006, 08:38 AM

Ocean City, MD kicks ass! If you can bring a rice steamer and a small Foreman grill. That should help a lot.

sugapablo
05-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Ocean City, MD kicks ass! If you can bring a rice steamer and a small Foreman grill. That should help a lot.

*laughs* OCMD is my "second home". I only spend one week a year there, but I've gone so many times that I know every inch of the place below 27th st.

My hotel rooms aren't big enough to bring a rice steamer or a grill, but I'm bringing my own milk, protein powder, oat flour, etc. for my fridge. I'll be eating a lot of eggs, pasta with cheese and veggies, fruit (hotel lobby has a complimentary fruit basket in lobby), etc. when I"m down on the boardwalk.

PS. I love the place so much, I made this page, which has four live webcams of the boardwalk on it (had 6, but two cameras went down):

http://www.sugapablo.net/oc_cam.php

Sixpack
05-28-2006, 09:02 AM
Tuna packets, PB, almonds, whole wheat bread, protein bars, whey protein, dry oats, all of this is fine IMO and easy to pack

deserusan
05-28-2006, 09:06 AM
*laughs* OCMD is my "second home". I only spend one week a year there, but I've gone so many times that I know every inch of the place below 27th st.

http://www.sugapablo.net/oc_cam.php

I got my first BJ there during beach week in high school. Good times :p On a more serious note, Homewood Suites by Hilton has full kitchens. I reserved my there already for the Arnold Classic next year.

sugapablo
05-28-2006, 09:12 AM
I got my first BJ there during beach week in high school. Good times :p On a more serious note, Homewood Suites by Hilton has full kitchens. I reserved my there already for the Arnold Classic next year.

Arnold Classic? Ocean City? Confused I am!

deserusan
05-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Arnold Classic? Ocean City? Confused I am!

The Arnold Classic is in Ohio. If you are ever travelling anywhere and want a hotel that is bodybuilder friendly Homewood Suites is the way to go.

sugapablo
05-28-2006, 11:47 AM
The Arnold Classic is in Ohio. If you are ever travelling anywhere and want a hotel that is bodybuilder friendly Homewood Suites is the way to go.

Ok. I knew the AC was on Columbus, which is why, since we were talking about OCMD, I was confused.

I was only in Columbus once for a USMNT soccer match. Stayed at the Days Inn just because it was walking distance from Crew Stadium so I didn't have to pay for parking nor fight the parking lot traffc. :)

I'd like to go to the AC next year. Columbus is only 3-4 hours from here by car. My buddy goes every year, so I might go down with him.

rob86
05-28-2006, 12:34 PM
Just enjoy yourself and stop being an analsorous. Eat sensible.