PDA

View Full Version : pork -is it "kosher"!?(clean)

Jamesstout
05-25-2006, 10:17 AM
it seems lean pork is a really good protein source, why is it not used much? i got this of chris charmichael's site:
Many athletes and active individuals continue to steer clear of pork because of outdated misconceptions about its fat content. Just as with beef and poultry, there are lean and fatty cuts of pork as well. Pork loin is one of the leanest cuts available and with excess fat trimmed off it can have a fat content similar to that of a skinless chicken breast

rotlex
05-25-2006, 11:01 AM
No idea why anyone wouldn't eat it. I do, frequently. Pork shoulder steaks, pork chops, ham etc. Nothing wrong with it as far as I'm concerned, and can add a nice bit of variety to your diet.

Oddball8945
05-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Of course theres nothing wrong with it, but the fat content is pretty high. Personally, i find that i can get more protein & less fat,less calories from a bigger piece of a chicken breast or fish then from the same size Piece of pork, or red meat for that matter. That is why i dont eat much pork or red meats because ide rather have a big lean piece of chicken breast or fish to go with the rest of my meal then a smaller piece of pork for the same ammount of calories + added fat - protein.

psychojoe
05-25-2006, 11:37 AM
pork is awesome, mainly because of the crackling. I dont get it much though because I find it hard to not eat the full 3lb piece of meat in one go, its so nice

daYDreAmErX
05-25-2006, 11:38 AM
I put the pork chops and every 10-15 min I remove the fat. I do it until everything is finished. I don't think there's a lot of fat after that !

bmg3255
05-25-2006, 11:43 AM
I was wondering the same thing about pork. I never hear too much about people on here eating it. But marinading some pork loins and throwing on the Foreman has become one of my favorite meals. When you cut off the excess fat around the ends, you are left with a pretty lean piece of meat. I love this stuff

rob86
05-25-2006, 11:46 AM
I usually have turkey bacon, turkey burgers, and sweet italian turkey sausage in substitition of the regular pork versions.. tastes just as good.

bmg3255
05-25-2006, 11:50 AM
I usually have turkey bacon, turkey burgers, and sweet italian turkey sausage in substitition of the regular pork versions.. tastes just as good.

Since you said turkey burgers, i have a question about those. I found Jenny-O turkey burgers which are 9g fat, 19g protein. Those were the best I could find. You find any better ones than those stats on it?

briantech
05-25-2006, 11:51 AM
how much of that fat was saturated / trans fat?

rob86
05-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Since you said turkey burgers, i have a question about those. I found Jenny-O turkey burgers which are 9g fat, 19g protein. Those were the best I could find. You find any better ones than those stats on it?
When I ate Jennie-O, those were the ones I had. They are fine. Now I usually have either Perdue's or Shadybrook Farm's.

Jamesstout
05-25-2006, 12:26 PM
but it seems formt he website that pork is the same fat per 100g as a chicken breast i guess if you get te middle bit form the chops and chop of all fat it would therefre be like a skinless breast right?

Chrome Face
05-25-2006, 03:57 PM
No idea why anyone wouldn't eat it. I do, frequently. Pork shoulder steaks, pork chops, ham etc. Nothing wrong with it as far as I'm concerned, and can add a nice bit of variety to your diet.

Hell yeah.. It's way cheaper than steak and it's damn tasty. I go through quite a few pork chops each week. I don't know why anyone would be concerned about the fat content. Fat is good!! Eat up..