PDA

View Full Version : Kidney pain

agavegrove
05-23-2006, 09:33 PM
Within the last month I start faithfully eating 120-160g of protein per day. In addition to this I take 4.5g of glutamine a day (which has a "not for liver or kidney disease patients" warning on it). My left kidney is burning almost constantly. I know excess urea caused by protein breakdown sludges the kidneys and causes a back up. But I have no problem on the right side. I know it's not stones. My question.... has anybody else had similar symptoms?

wumple
05-23-2006, 09:43 PM
I've never felt anything like that...how much water do you drink?

unclejeff
05-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Within the last month I start faithfully eating 120-160g of protein per day. In addition to this I take 4.5g of glutamine a day (which has a "not for liver or kidney disease patients" warning on it). My left kidney is burning almost constantly. I know excess urea caused by protein breakdown sludges the kidneys and causes a back up. But I have no problem on the right side. I know it's not stones. My question.... has anybody else had similar symptoms?

IF ANYTHING IT IS THE GLUTAMINE. THAT IS NOT A WHOLE LOT OF PROTEIN, UNLESS YOU WEIGH 120LBS OR SO. IMO GLUTAMINE IS NOT THAT GREAT OF A SUPPLEMENT. TRY NOT USING IT AND WATCH IF THE PAIN GOES AWAY. LIKEABOVE POSTER SAID....UP YOUR FLUID INTAKE.

GreekG
05-24-2006, 03:47 AM
i agree with above poster. must be the water.
i use to have that problem and ever since i started drinking a gallon of water a day im fine. make sure you drink during your workout too

i consume even more protein now (with glutamine in it), 255 grams protein a day

melon
05-24-2006, 03:57 AM
Typically if only one kidney hurts then it is not a problem with protein or supplement intake, or water intake for that matter. Because if that was the case, both kidneys would hurt. Chances are it is either a musculoskeletal problem (most likely) or a kidney infection.

Have you done a rigorous back workout recently? How long has this pain been going on? Is it associated with movement, or relieved by sitting/lying in certain positions? You can get DOMS on external muscles, such as the biceps or the quadriceps, you can also get it on the internal muscles. A slight tear on the psoas muscle which runs posterior to the kidney can simulate kidney pain.

If it is a constant pain and the kidney is painful and tender to the touch, then go see your doc about a kidney infection. He will probably ask for a urine sample and check for white blood cells in the urine. If this is the case, it's a pretty much dead cert that you have a renal infection, and he will prescribe antibiotics.

How to check if your kidney is painful to the touch: Lie flat on your back (supine) and place your right hand underneath your left side, between the base of your ribs and the top of your pelvis. Gently push done with your left hand on top of this, so you are effectively holding the kidney. Can you feel it? Can you ballot (bounce it around) it? Does it hurt?

Hope this helped.