PDA

View Full Version : Another Clean Bulking Diet, Please Critique

Ender17
05-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 140
Training History: Very little. I worked out for a few months a couple years ago, but mostly just did machines. Never done free weights before.
Just started about 2 weeks ago. I'm pretty weak...on bench I work out with about 90lb and maybe 110lb on squat.
I've always ate whatever I wanted, and never really had a problem staying skinny, but I'm tired of eating junk and I want to put on some muscle.

OK, I've tried to do a bit of research on here and I've came up with what I'd consider a fairly decent clean bulking diet that I think I can stick to.
Let me know what you think.

Meal 1
8:00 AM
whole grain Cheerios
skim milk
all natural nonfat plain yogurt

Meal 2
11:00 AM
protein shake with skim milk and oats
banana

Meal 3
1:30 PM
6 oz can of 98% fat free chicken breast
12 oz mixed vegetables (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower)
all natural nonfat plain yogurt & pineapple smoothie

Meal 4
4:00 PM
peanut butter, low sugar jelly, oats, wheat bread sandwhich
4-6 boiled egg whites

Workout
6:15 PM to 7:45 PM

Meal 5
8:00 PM
post workout shake

Meal 6
9:00 PM
big can (12 oz?) of 98% fat free chicken breast
whole grain rice
green beans

Meal 7
11:00 PM
cottage cheese with carrots and tomatoes

Sleep
11:30 PM to 8:00 AM

OK, a few notes here:

I started out with Cheerios over oatmeal because I hate oatmeal and just comparing the nutritional facts on the box, they looked pretty similiar.
On meal 6, I plan to substitute real chicken breast for the canned stuff as soon as I learn to cook...which brings up another point
I have never really cooked anything before so I'm learning as I go. Trying to stick with simple foods because I don't have a lot of time to cook or learn to cook.
On weekends when I don't workout, I will probably cutout the post workout shake and probably cut out the egg whites.
Drinking about 1 to 1.5 gallons of water.

Ender17
05-22-2006, 06:34 AM
no comments?

maliah
05-22-2006, 06:39 AM
I think its looks great for building muscle, but that is coming from a girl who is "not" trying to build muscle. As long as you know ( which im sure you do ) to get atleast your body weight in protein ( grams ) ..but i think it looks good. As far as chicken goes , you can boil it which is VERY EASY. Just heat up some water until boiling and throw the chicken breast in there. Dont take out until it is completely white ( inside -out). Do alot at a time and then you can freeze it and heat it when needed. That will save you alot of time .
Good luck!

LightCrow
05-22-2006, 08:22 AM
Your protein intake looks fine, but you really need to get more carbs than you have there. Add some carbs to your 1:30 meal and get in fruit several times a day. If you're dead set on such a clean diet, I would change the milk to either 2% or whole to get some saturated fat in your diet. In smaller quantities it can be good for muscle building. In general your diet is way too low in fat for bulking. You need to shoot for 20-30% of your calories to come from fat at a minimum.

Best advice: Just eat and focus on solid calories and don't worry so much at this point if it's a super clean diet. You can afford to overeat on pizza and buffets occassionally at this point.

Gator Brah
05-22-2006, 09:49 AM
your diet looks pretty healthy but do yourself a favor and eat some more "real food" thts high in carbs and calories. its good that your getting all your veggies n stuff but if your trying to gain muscle your gonna need alot more calories than what u got there. try eating a good portion of carbs with each main meal (breakfast lunch and dinner) you allready have some of these but you will need more. get these carbs from pasta's, rice and potatoes ect.

also post workout try drinking one of these shakes. they are high in calories, contain both simple and complex carbs and a good amount a protein:
combine these items in a blender and liquify.
2 scoops of protein powder
1 packet of carnation instant breakfast (vanilla is awesome)
4-5 strawberries
1 banana
1/2-1 cup of lowfat milk

on workout day's before going to bed drink a cassein shake or a cup of cottage cheese.

i realize that your trying to "clean" bulk but you got to get your calories from somewhere. as long you stay away from stuff like soda, sweets, fast food, pizza you will be fine. mainly just make sure that you never go hungry and when you do eat MAKE IT COUNT! (ensure your getting good nutrients).

give it try.......