PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Alcohol?

recyfer
05-20-2006, 04:11 PM
I was looking at some protein bars today and was reading the labels and this one I was looking at had 2g Sugar but at 17g Sugar Alcohol.

What is sugar alcohol and should I just count the bar as having 19g of sugar?

Thanks

PinoyBuilder17
05-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Ditch the bars, eat real food not processed crap!

chris3g
05-20-2006, 04:46 PM
i once read a very long and detailed article about sugar alcohol and the question you are asking. Unfortunately, i don't remember who wrote it, where i found it, or much about the details of it's contents. In very simplified terms though, it stated that there are quite a few different sugar alcohols that a manufacturer can use, and some of them "count" more than others.

in10city
05-20-2006, 05:43 PM
I was looking at some protein bars today and was reading the labels and this one I was looking at had 2g Sugar but at 17g Sugar Alcohol.

What is sugar alcohol and should I just count the bar as having 19g of sugar?

Thanks
Have a read of this from the Sticky: Artifical Sweetners: An Overview (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=291569)

Sugar Alcohols
Contary to the name, sugar alcohols don't get you drunk. Sugar alcohols are essentially just sugar where the chemical composition has been changed, so it still tastes sweet, but it won't influence blood sugar levels. Some common sugar alcohols are mannitol, sorbitol, xylitol, maltitol and lactitol. They are finding there way into everything from cookies and ice cream to tooth paste. Sugar alcohols tend to be more expensive than the other artifical sweetners on the market, but they can be easy to bake with.

The main complaint about sugar alcohols is that they can cause a laxative effect in users who eat too much of them.

Sugar Alcohols from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_alcohol)

These are the values I have seen reported by FDA from caloricontrolcounsel for various polyols

3.0 calories per gram hydrogenated starch hydrolysates
2.6 calories per gram sorbitol
2.4 calories per gram xylitol
2.1 calories per gram maltitol
2.0 calories per gram isomalt
2.0 calories per gram lactitol
1.6 calories per gram mannitol
0.2 calories per gram erythritol

bernbabybern820
05-21-2006, 11:41 AM
Ditch the bars, eat real food not processed crap!

umm i dont think he can eat real food if hes in school...just a thought

metalheadmark
05-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Yeah you cant, bars/shakes or the only option for me too until lunch break and end of school.

But bars in general seem to be fairly terrible, sometimes I make my own but usually dont have time with training, homework, etc. so I just bring a few shakes