PDA

View Full Version : fat loss without muscle loss

Tim
01-08-2002, 06:04 AM
In the past, whenever I've tried to lose fat to get cut, I would lose lots of muscle as well (I would drop my calories and do lots of cardio to lose the fat). I am coming to the end of a bulking phase right now, and I will start cutting in a few weeks. I really don't want to lose any of my hard earned muscle when I burn off the fat. How do I lose the fat while retaining as much muscle as possible? Should I do less cardio than I used to (3 45 min. sessions a week)? Are there certain supplements that can help (ECA is not an option, as I can't tolerate caffeine at all)?

CrazyKid
01-08-2002, 06:31 AM
Good supplements for cutting are glutamine, hmb, and zma. When you are cutting you should be eating a LOT of protien, which will spare muscle tissue. And i would do cardio 4-5 times a week no more than 45 minutes. After 45 minutes you will start burning off muscle tissue.

Tim
01-08-2002, 06:45 AM
Thanks, I already have those 3 supplements (I bought the HMB ahead of time because it was on sale and I knew it would be good for cutting). I hope I have time to do cardio 4 times a week since I work 8-5. Maybe 3 days a week would suffice? I used to do 3 sessions a weeks and I lost weight fine (I lost to much muscle though). I am also considering taking forskolin to help with fat loss. Does it work well?

HeavyLifta
01-09-2002, 05:57 PM
but wudnt eaten alot of protein mean eating more calories tho

mattman
01-09-2002, 06:17 PM
is ZMA really good to take while cutting, if so, why is it?

GoodForHisAge
01-09-2002, 06:29 PM
Read that about ZMA
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/zma.html

And about cutting,

Look: Your muscles are made up of protein blocks. SO when you cut you have to eat proteins more than fat, carbs, etc...

Proteins is the key.

mattman
01-09-2002, 06:36 PM
that site doesn't say to take zma when cutting???

GoodForHisAge
01-09-2002, 06:53 PM
It is, it increases your strngth on 20%...

And it is also good for fast muscle recovery...
Peace-out

Tim
01-10-2002, 10:11 AM
I would say that ZMA is essential all the time, since athletes/ bodybuilders are all deficient in zinc and magnesium. It would be part of my cutting stack anyway, since its part of my year round stack. Anyone here ever heard of forskolin? Do you know of any supplements that contain forskolin but don't contain any stimulants (caffein or ephidrine)?

cjszip
01-10-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Tim
In the past, whenever I've tried to lose fat to get cut, I would lose lots of muscle as well (I would drop my calories and do lots of cardio to lose the fat). I am coming to the end of a bulking phase right now, and I will start cutting in a few weeks. I really don't want to lose any of my hard earned muscle when I burn off the fat. How do I lose the fat while retaining as much muscle as possible? Should I do less cardio than I used to (3 45 min. sessions a week)? Are there certain supplements that can help (ECA is not an option, as I can't tolerate caffeine at all)?

if you lost alot of muscle all at once...take a look at your diet first, that's the most important thing, are you lowering your calleries slowly week by week? you should lower then 500 calleries per week...are you getting enough protein, eating 6 meals a day? take the glutimine 10 grams a day (5 in the morning and 5 before bed worked best for me) take the HMB in between breakfast/lunch and lunch/dinner, i think that would work good for u too, ZMA boosts recovery, and while cutting you're under alot of stress being that you're not only doing weight training but also cardio, both are stressful, forkisillin isnt very popular and i dont think there's enough information out on it yet...i would recomend an E/C/A stack such as xenadrine (which worked great for me)...if you're overly sensitive to stimulants, then try taking a stimulant free thermogenic

cjszip
01-10-2002, 11:30 AM
oh, eh, sorry i didnt read the botton about an eca not being an option

try these 2 things togather:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/syn/gug.html
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/syn/mm4.html

Tim
01-10-2002, 12:40 PM
I actually came across the page for MM4 when I was searching for a forskolin-containing supplement. It's supposedly stimulant-free, but it contains synephrine. Someone on the supplement board pointed out that synephrine is indeed a stimulant. I have a tough time trying to get to sleep at night, and caffeine (even if it's just a cup of coffee in the morning) aggravates this problem, so I am wondering if synephrine may also aggravate my sleeping problem. I definitely want to use a supplement when I cut though, because I gained too much weight during my bulking cycle.

cjszip
01-10-2002, 12:50 PM
synepherine isnt a very powerful stimulant....it activates the Adrenal glands, and speeds the metabolism, however if u dont dont take it after 4:00 PM you should be fine, if you want, just read up on it a little bit, the usual amount of an ECA stack is 20MG of ephedrine, synepherine is a precurser to ephedrine, and in the amount of 5 MG a day, 2-3 times a day, you should be fine, if you're really THAT sensitive...just do like i do, take the fat burners in the morning on an empty stomach and 30 minutes afterwords do cardio, wait untill your weight training workout to take another dose of each product....oh, and that reminds me, about you asking if that was too much cardio, no, as long as you're eating right and taking glutimine/enough protein, u should be fine

Tim
01-10-2002, 12:56 PM
Well I work out in the evening between 5:30 and 6:00 (I work 8-5, so this is the only time I can hit the gym) , so I can't be taking any stimulants around that time. I don't know how sensitive I am to synemphrine, but as I mentioned, I am very sensitive to caffeine. Also, I have trouble falling aleep even if I haven't had any caffein that day. I guess the only way to find out would be to take the product. My metabolism is probably fast enough that I would be able to get by just doing cardio and dieting while using HMB and glutamine to preserve my hard-earned musle mass. I think I might give that MM4 product a shot after all.

cjszip
01-10-2002, 01:39 PM
yeah. if you workout that late at night with the weights, use the MM4 in the morning and then again at like 2....you should be fine, good luck

Tim
01-12-2002, 01:54 PM
I'll actually be taking some T-2 as well. I heard that it kicks ass for fat loss. Hopefully it won't cause much muscle wasting.

Cp bball3
11-09-2007, 10:05 AM
the bs about eating a lot of protien is mostly false you do realize that right? if you drop your carbs too low you will burn muscle because your bloodsugar levels will be low and the body will go ohh **** we need energy... yes drop carb intake slight and up protein slightly... go buy bulk bcaas and take about 20-30 grams before you run.. 45 is too long try 30 min and go at 55-60% intensity.. pratically a walk.. also try and lose 1-1.5 pounds a week.. anymore and your dropping calories too much.. you gotta slowly cut like you slowly bulk

jazztrumpet
11-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Carnitine should help you with maintaining your muscle during a cut.

justanothagirl
11-09-2007, 10:55 AM
perhaps you should try eating more this time around? since you're doing cardio you won't have to drop your calories a lot. and i agree with Cp don't do a high protein diet. moderate protein is best.
ur still lifting weights while cutting right?

Cp bball3
11-09-2007, 11:34 AM
when you really think about it how can u claim protein stops muscle wasting as opposed to carbs. If anything carbs prevent muscle wasting because they provide glucose in your blood for your body to feed off of.

Protien and Cardio =

.5 Muscle and 1.5 Fat Loss

Carbs and Protien and Cardio =

1 Glucose and 1 Fat Loss

^ pretty dumb little anagoly but u get the picture.. ya u burn more fat with little carbs but u also burn a little bit of msucle

illpunches
11-09-2007, 02:14 PM
i'm not cutting out lifting from my workout routine. instead of no cardio and lift every other day, now i do 3 days cardio, 2 days lifting per week for a month. after that 2 months of 4 days cardio, 1 day lifting.

im having good results so far, and i supplement glutamine. 30 minutes before my cardio days i drink a protein shake with glutamine. after lifting days i drink 50 grams worth of protein in my shake with glutamine. i figure i keep lifting since u still burn some good calories lifting weights.

ElMariachi
11-09-2007, 02:17 PM

5 grams of fish oil(about 5-6 capsules daily)
2-3 tablespoons coconut oil
BCAA's during your workouts
casein protein before bed and after lunch
whey protein first thing in the morning and postworkout
5-10 grams glycine postworkout with the whey protein

Repeat everyday.

Knight2007
11-09-2007, 02:18 PM
I do HiiT 4-5x a week and right after, on mon wed fri, I do abs chest arms, then tuesday thursday I do legs abs back... I use moderate weights mon and fri and on wed I use heavy... working wonders atm.

I am cutting, but I have gained more muscle than I am losing, while removing the fat.

I am still at 200lbs but I see a major loss in fat. I have been doing this for 1 1/2 weeks now.