PDA

View Full Version : Cardio confusion!!!

MrBombadil
05-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Hi everyone,

I am so confused about cardio. I've read quite a few threads on it but there never seems to be much consensus. Currently I weigh 80kg and have been lifting for about 6 months. I have a lot of fat around the stomach, chest and legs I would like to lose. I'm hoping I can do this without losing any muscle and hopefully still gaining muscle.

I lift weights on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The program I follow is the intermediate version of the 5x5 by madcow.

I was thinking I should start trying to do 30 to 45 mins of cardio every morning after breakfast. Would this be a good idea?

What intensity cardio would work best? I can only jog for about 7 mins before I need to start walking again.

How long untill I can expect real results so that im skinny enough to do a bulk without having to worry so much about the fat.

Help please...

cabster21
05-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Doing that amount of cardio plus a strength program I don't think will be very successful. You should maybe concentrate on one or the other. IE cut, lose the fat then go on a clean bulk. Or opposite. If you want rid of the fat then you're obviously going to have to lose the fat, and with that amount of cardio muscle gain will be hard.

Read the stickies on fat loss. That should answer your basic questions.

gecko2424
05-09-2006, 12:35 PM
It doesn't sound like you need a bulk any time soon.

You need to have some rest in your week, cardio every day will get boring and your body needs an occasional break.

I wouldn't be concerned about losing muscle. Get into a good lifting program and stick with it, but focus more on the diet cardio.

40 kg of muscle looks a lot better with 10% body fat than 55 kg of muscle with 25% body fat. The cut is more important at this point.

Get some calipers, a scale, measuring tape and a camera. Take measurements/pictures every week and put them in a spreadsheet. You can loset 2lbs of fat/week with dedication. Try to get down to 10-12% body fat before you bulk. You'll be happier than doing the yo-yo and never getting thin.

justinbrown
05-09-2006, 12:39 PM
It doesn't sound like you need a bulk any time soon.

You need to have some rest in your week, cardio every day will get boring and your body needs an occasional break.

I wouldn't be concerned about losing muscle. Get into a good lifting program and stick with it, but focus more on the diet cardio.

40 kg of muscle looks a lot better with 10% body fat than 55 kg of muscle with 25% body fat. The cut is more important at this point.

Get some calipers, a scale, measuring tape and a camera. Take measurements/pictures every week and put them in a spreadsheet. You can loset 2lbs of fat/week with dedication. Try to get down to 10-12% body fat before you bulk. You'll be happier than doing the yo-yo and never getting thin.

OK i got the same question...only i do 30 mins of cardio every other day...what do yu have to say to that? thanks

spoonhead
05-09-2006, 05:09 PM
dude did i miss something cos if you weigh 80kg that only 176 lbs which is not skinny but not really that big even how tall are you and what bf.

MrBombadil
05-09-2006, 09:07 PM
no idea what my bodyfat % is

I am 177cm tall

so how much cardio should I do? 2x per week, 3x? how long for, 30 mins? 60 mins?, and what intensity.

northernstar
05-10-2006, 05:16 AM
There is definetly no consensus on the amount of cardio necessary to see results. Those of us in the more intelligent camp know that you need to do the LEAST amount of cardio to see results. Cardio can be catabolic.... that = not good.
Incorporate HIIT into your program and keep SS/interval cardio to a minimum. Depending on how often you are training legs, you can do HIIT up to 3 times a week, SS cardio should be anywhere from 1-3 sessions. Honestly, I don't think anyone needs to do cardio more than 3 times a week.

KeepintheFaith
05-10-2006, 07:21 AM
There is definetly no consensus on the amount of cardio necessary to see results. Those of us in the more intelligent camp know that you need to do the LEAST amount of cardio to see results. Cardio can be catabolic.... that = not good.
Incorporate HIIT into your program and keep SS/interval cardio to a minimum. Depending on how often you are training legs, you can do HIIT up to 3 times a week, SS cardio should be anywhere from 1-3 sessions. Honestly, I don't think anyone needs to do cardio more than 3 times a week.

Come on now northernstar, tell us how you REALLY feel!!! ;)

MrBombadil
05-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Since im on the 5x5 program I squat 3x a week. Would HIIT 3x a week be ok?

northernstar
05-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Since im on the 5x5 program I squat 3x a week. Would HIIT 3x a week be ok?
No I think that would be a bit much. You have to think of HIIT as a leg workout. Would you do 3 more leg workouts in any given week? Of course not. I think 1 session would be just fine, 2 if you have a lighter day in one of your lifting days. The rest can be SS.

TeamInzer
05-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Doing that amount of cardio plus a strength program I don't think will be very successful. You should maybe concentrate on one or the other. IE cut, lose the fat then go on a clean bulk. Or opposite. If you want rid of the fat then you're obviously going to have to lose the fat, and with that amount of cardio muscle gain will be hard.

Read the stickies on fat loss. That should answer your basic questions.

Why wouldn't it be OK??? Ronnie Coleman does cardio year around hour a day. Low Low intensity for maximal fat burn!

MrBombadil
05-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Sorry... What is SS?

So far im thinking:

Monday: Weights
Tuesday: HIIT
Wednesday: Weights (light day)
Thursday: 45mins low intensity cardio
Friday: Weights
Saturday: HIIT
Sunday: Rest

Any good?

Foxy_Blonde
05-10-2006, 08:31 PM
I 2nd the HIIT cardio...it will take care of that fat in no time

MrBombadil
05-11-2006, 08:59 AM
??

MrBombadil
05-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Bump.

What is SS?

Also how does the routine in my previous post look?

DLFB
05-13-2006, 08:47 AM
Monday: Weights
Tuesday: HIIT
Wednesday: Weights (light day)
Thursday: 45mins low intensity cardio
Friday: Weights
Saturday: HIIT
Sunday: Rest

i do the same exact thing although my cardio has been light compared to what i did last summer. I'm underweight and im trying to put on some weight.

i think youre doing fine dude.