PDA

View Full Version : Does that keto diet freak anybody else out?

Luke_the_Duke
12-08-2002, 01:55 PM
It is just... freaky. Eating next to no carbs and nothing but protein and fat? Seems about as natural as giving yourself a daily bath in boiling water. It goes against everything I've ever learned in health classes. Seems like you would logically just keel over and die after a week of that.

Anyways, I would be to scared to ever try it. Carbs are just too important to me for energy and safety reasons. I will stick to my low fat diet thank you very much. Besides, there are no long-term studies on the effects of that diet since it is relatively new. I just don't trust new fads. People a long time ago used to think steroids were harmless. Look how that turned out.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts and for the masses starting the diet, I hope it works out...

KaOs
12-08-2002, 02:43 PM
obviously you know NOTHING about the diet, or else you wouldnt think this way. Im glad you posted your opinion on the diet (like many other people who havent done any research on it) has.

good day

but you stick to your low fat diet, while we eat loads of fat and foods we actually like...and in the long run we will lose more weight than you. Sounds good to me.

Fitgurl
12-08-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by KaOs
obviously you know NOTHING about the diet, or else you wouldnt think this way. Im glad you posted your opinion on the diet (like many other people who havent done any research on it) has.

good day

but you stick to your low fat diet, while we eat loads of fat and foods we actually like...and in the long run we will lose more weight than you. Sounds good to me. Bump!! Now I gotta go eat some steak and shrimp dipped in butter with roasted asparagus in olive oil...and maybe a side salad with eggs, bacon, feta cheese, olives and a nice helping of dressing :D

BornHard-13
12-08-2002, 03:31 PM
You dont have to go low fat. Just eat healthy fats like olive oil and flax seed.

The best way to lose weight is a blanced diet with lots of healthy fats, lean proteins and complex low GI carbs.

BornHard-13
12-08-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Fitgurl
Bump!! Now I gotta go eat some steak and shrimp dipped in butter with roasted asparagus in olive oil...and maybe a side salad with eggs, bacon, feta cheese, olives and a nice helping of dressing :D
Best of all it is low in cholesterol?
I am gonna go get me some oatmeal and chicken breast. :)

Fitgurl
12-08-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by BornHard-13
Best of all it is low in cholesterol?
I am gonna go get me some oatmeal and chicken breast. :) My cholesterol in excellent...I was just kidding in my post...though I do sometimes splurge with those types of food. I usually get my fat from flax, olive oil, peanut butter, and avocado's.

Go enjoy your oatmeal and chicken breast..:)

Roxie :)

12-08-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Fitgurl
Bump!! Now I gotta go eat some steak and shrimp dipped in butter with roasted asparagus in olive oil...and maybe a side salad with eggs, bacon, feta cheese, olives and a nice helping of dressing :D

Hahaha....what a way to make someone drool hahaha.

TO the Luke: hehehe..actually I believe there were a few conclusive studies done on both this and the Atkins diet. Just have to look around.

Meni
12-08-2002, 05:18 PM
How long is " in the long run"
we want to see Keto'ers at 5%
come on Ketoers

Anxed
12-08-2002, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Meni
How long is " in the long run"
we want to see Keto'ers at 5%
come on Ketoers

oh, please.. not that again...

Meni
12-08-2002, 05:59 PM
hee hee
well I see comment about losing more fat in the long run
how long is this run?
I'm playing devil's advocate
I'm not in keto, but i'm low carbs
I'd love to hit 5% bf or 6%
wondering best diet

Anxed
12-08-2002, 06:02 PM
hee hee
well I see comment about losing more fat in the long run
how long is this run?
I'm playing devil's advocate
I'm not in keto, but i'm low carbs
I'd love to hit 5% bf or 6%
wondering best diet

the most honest answer I can give you on which is the best diet?

its the one that is applied properly... :)

Meni
12-08-2002, 06:11 PM
ok so a diet in high sat fat and no protein and hi gi carbs will work

Luke_the_Duke
12-08-2002, 06:30 PM
Francesco Castano's take on the Keto diet:

"A quick note on the high fat diet. On paper, it looks effective. In short, it concentrates on a high fat intake five days per week, with a maximum 30 grams of carbohydrates per day. On weekends, carbohydrates rise and fat calories fall. By following such a low carbohydrate intake throughout the week, the body supposedly uses more fat for energy. It also suppresses insulin, because virtually no carbohydrates (sugars) reside in the blood stream (which is true). Technically, it should work, especially in burning fat.

I tried the diet, and it made me so weak that I had to switch back to a carbohydrate based diet within 2-3 months. The lack of carbohydrates in the high fat diet causes the body to panic (thus lowering energy levels) but, according to the author of the diet, after a few weeks on the plan energy levels will sharply increase (which I did not note). The lag time, say proponents, is due to the body needing a period of adjustment (from carbohydrates to fat).

The diet is relatively new, and the Lord only knows what kind of long term effect it will have on your health (isn't that why we avoid steroids?) If NO health risk exists, the diet is no more effective than the diet I use now, and is (in my trials) not pleasant (as far as workout energy and overall mental attitude). Not even the doctor who invented the diet can provide health assurance, which does not present a very positive long term outlook for those using the high fat technique. I was worried about radically increasing my caloric intake (to 3000-4000) calories) with such a high fat content, a macro nutrient linked with just about every negative health problem this country suffers. Fortunately, the popularity of the high fat technique is fading, much like other bodybuilding fads have over the years.

My diet will not only provide results, but also encourage a LONG life. Since you can't stay on the high fat diet for a long period without wondering whether you'll live to see the results (or have the energy to look in the mirror!), it becomes extremely impractical."

In case you don't know, he is HUGE and RIPPED natural body builder who owns musclenow.com. I'm sure he knows what he's talking about. I'll put this article under the NEGATIVE study.

Meni
12-08-2002, 06:35 PM
thats why I like pics
cuz I really listen to someone who's ripped natural
instead of posts with no pics

IPR
12-08-2002, 09:24 PM
Okay he didn't like keto, but that is his choice. However, I must disagree with energy levels etc as I have found these to be increased. The only time I experience drops is when my fat intake is low. I am not big and ripped, and he is, so his diet works well for him, but why should this be a reason for keto itself being slammed??

Yes, the automatic reaction of all, including me initially, is that you must be joking if you think eating so much fat is healthy. But is that true, or have we just heard it for so long that its become accepted as fact?? His statement that fat is the cause of all the current negative health issues is just simply not correct. :rolleyes:

I recall when everyone was switching from butter to marg because it was lower in saturated fats. Cholestorol is now the big monster, don't eat foods high in cholestrorol. But science agrees that our bodies produce most of the cholestrorol and its not directly from dietary intake of cholestrorol.

Keto isn't a magic fat losing diet, which it seems to be being judged as. Losing fat is about calorific deficit and ALL proponents of their own various diet strategies agree on this.

So, as Anxed says, meni choose a sensible diet you can live with on restricted calories, it doesn't have to be keto.

Luke_the_Duke
12-08-2002, 10:24 PM
thats why I like pics
cuz I really listen to someone who's ripped natural
instead of posts with no pics

The pics are right there on the front page of www.musclenow.com. It's pretty amazing how huge he is without any supplements. Looks almost like a pro. See for yourself.

I couldn't bring myself to work out 5 days per week along with aerobics almost every day as Francisco does, but rather I use his diet plan along with working out 3 days a week, which is much easier on my schedule and the stomach might I add.

And I'm not trying to insult people who are on the keto diet. Just pointing out that it is possible that it isn't as healthy as you think eating so much fat. It is a riskier diet than the tried and true low fat diet just because the overwhelmingly positive studies just aren't there. Maybe they will be some day. I don't know. Just don't insult me for stating my opinion! That is all I ask.

IPR
12-08-2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Luke_the_Duke
. Just don't insult me for stating my opinion! That is all I ask.

Fair enough.

btw, I'm a keto follower, but my wife isn't and nothing I say will ever change that. :D