PDA

View Full Version : Should I give up Bodybuilding For God?

Ehyun55
04-16-2006, 02:12 PM
I dont want this to be a flame thread or anything; no thrashing or anything. just some thoughtful advice from fellow believers or anyone who would like to help. well here it goes.

i've been going through some pretty tough financial problems, and i personally feel its a reality check from God, telling me to watch the way i live.

Bodybuilding has been my escape from reality; a drug perhaps. its gotten to the point where i have become obsessive about it. now, i know i really need to start focusing in on my priorities i.e. academics, god, and personal relationships... and i know for me to focus better in on my spiritual life, i know im going to have to give up my passion for bodybuilding... sorry, i guess i dont know how to articulate myself.

have any of you ever faced a similar sort of situation? any advice?

i personally don't believe i can find a happy medium.

if ur a fellow christian, im pretty sure u know the passage in the book of mathew where it talks about how you can't serve two masters; that you can only be entirely devoted to one, or the other.

i know the answer is so easy, but i never thought that it would be this hard.

-please any help would be appreciated. and please no flaming. this is open to theists, atheists, agnostics and all in between.

1dayIWillBeBig
04-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Do what makes you happy. You only have one life to live. I wouldn't waste it.

why not just take a break from bb for a month or two. Then go from there.

MonsterG8r
04-16-2006, 02:19 PM
I dont want this to be a flame thread or anything; no thrashing or anything. just some thoughtful advice from fellow believers or anyone who would like to help. well here it goes.

i've been going through some pretty tough financial problems, and i personally feel its a reality check from God, telling me to watch the way i live.

Bodybuilding has been my escape from reality; a drug perhaps. its gotten to the point where i have become obsessive about it. now, i know i really need to start focusing in on my priorities i.e. academics, god, and personal relationships... and i know for me to focus better in on my spiritual life, i know im going to have to give up my passion for bodybuilding... sorry, i guess i dont know how to articulate myself.

if ur a fellow christian, im pretty sure u know the passage in the book of mathew where it talks about how you can't serve two masters; that you can only be entirely devoted to one, or the other.

-please any help would be appreciated. and please no flaming. this is open to theists, atheists, agnostics and all in between.

Give it up and he'll give it back to you in a way that he wants it used. I've done that and I just let the spirit lead. I don't compete anymore but the opportunities to witness in the gym and invite people to church has multiplied greatly. If I ever compete again it will only be through the complete confirmation of the Spirit. In the meantime use it and all that you do to magnify Him. Hop that helps.

Steadfast50
04-16-2006, 02:20 PM

Ah, I have a few things to point out :)

1) God wants you to be blessed (empowered to prosper) in all areas of your life. The lack of finances isn't from God, it's a curse and you can be free from it :)

2) You know this one, thou shall not have any gods before me. It's easy to let something els become your god, or let yourself become your own god. Like bodybuilding, it shouldn't control your life. Put God FIRST in your life, then family, then your occupation.

3) Read more of your bible :) I highly encourage you to watch these sermons, they're all great and I know you'll learn a lot about God's Word and perfect will for your life :)

Here are the ones I watch, they're all true preachers of God's Word, no adding to it, or subtracting of it. I'll pray for ya!

http://kcm.org/media/webcasts/index.php

http://kcm.org/media/webcasts/archive.php

http://70.87.8.11/jdmDefault.aspx?tabindex=-1&tabID=38

http://www.jsmi.org/webcast/

http://thegospel.com/pages/jvim.asp

http://portal.orm.cc/servlet/page?_pageid=1086&_dad=portal30&_schema=PORTAL30

http://interactive.creflodollarministries.org/broadcasts/dailyarchives.asp?site=CDM

LatsMakeTheMan
04-16-2006, 02:22 PM
I don't really see how you make a connection between bbing and religion.

I remember a while ago seeing something on TV about this priest who was into lifting.....he was jacked. They showed him doing pullups with a good amount of weight attached. (He was even wearing the little collar dohickey while lifting.) So I guess if a priest is doing it, it can't be a sin.

novax
04-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Back in the day, I actually became obsessed with bodybuilding.. I know what you mean, it was like a drug. I was so obsessed with my body. Over time, I was able to set my priorities straight.

I am not sure how I came to the realization.. Now I just work out to have fun but I am not quite as serious about it.

Actually, I think I came to thre realization when I had surgery done and I couldnt work out for like 6 months. After that, I was never quite as serious.

The Experiment
04-16-2006, 02:45 PM
The Bible says your body is a temple. So if no muscle is the kind of temple you want, go for it.

Pumpin45_s
04-16-2006, 04:04 PM

If it's preventing you from having a good relationship with God, maybe you should take a break. But you're lifting weights for less than 5 hours a week, right? So it can't be that bad.

ElMariachi
04-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Balance in everything is key. Its not so much the bodybuilding that seems to be the problem but your ability to prioritize things. The financial problems are another sign that you need to get your house in order, fix the wrongs that are happening, adjust your focus and be more inclusive of the other facets of your life.

A & B
04-16-2006, 04:09 PM
To think of all the things people could accomplish if they took all the time they spent on their God/religion, and actually did something productive with it......

One Man Army
04-16-2006, 04:12 PM
Well I think you should continue to work out..but only for fitness then

dont be obsessive about being big...dont eat 5 meals a day...drink whey protein..eat chicken for protein...etc

just go to the gym like three days a week and work out to remain healthy,,,,I am sure God would want you to work hard and be healthy

NuggzTheNinja
04-16-2006, 04:20 PM
The Bible says your body is a temple. So if no muscle is the kind of temple you want, go for it.

Who would want a temple devoid of sex appeal and the capacity to inflict physical harm?

Without the latter, all religious institutions would be up sh-t's creek without a paddle.

Ehyun55
04-16-2006, 05:54 PM
gym time a week: 10 hours approximate.

the gym for me is more than just staying healthy. its my passion, an obsession.

perhaps it is about prioritizing things first, but i know for a fact that i know i need to give it up for God, to lead the life that i know i should be living. (this is my personal belief that coicides with my religion)

Melkor
04-16-2006, 05:56 PM
Use the gym as a way to build motivation and discipline that you can use throughout all aspects of your life. If you let the gym take over your life then you definitely need to take it down a notch, or take a break and regain some perspective.

MonsterG8r
04-16-2006, 05:57 PM
To think of all the things people could accomplish if they took all the time they spent on their God/religion, and actually did something productive with it......

Why don't you list...let's say.....5 productive things committed Christians could accomplish if they didn't "waste" their time with Christ.

ElMariachi
04-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Why don't you list...let's say.....5 productive things committed Christians could accomplish if they didn't "waste" their time with Christ.

Don't bother, he just likes to spout off at the mouth, especially in a thread that specifically mentioned not posting a bunch of rubbish, I guess the temptation was just TOO great.

d2r2005
04-16-2006, 06:28 PM
your financial problems stem from other things. if bbing is your drug, join the club. since i started bbing, i eat good, drink a whole hell of a lot less, and I ultimately feel great.

Ehyun55
04-16-2006, 06:45 PM
i just said i believe its a sign, a reality check and all.

Ehyun55
04-16-2006, 07:08 PM
thanks for your guys help , i suppose i just needed to rant.

prioritize

MoGeaYuglay
04-16-2006, 07:38 PM
Prioritize. Don't make it an idol. I still think about this often, and sometimes have to reevaluate my goals and priorities. Now, I just plan what I am going to do for bodybuilding and just do it, not worry about it, not stress about it, just make it as mundane for the most part as driving to work. It's just a hobby, and it teaches self-control, diligence, and mindpower, good things to have i'd say.

Wtf?
04-16-2006, 07:59 PM
I really don't see how you can make the connection between religion, signs from God and financial problems and bb'ing. They're just so..irrelavant to eachother.

If you're having financial problems, look to what exactly you're wasting your money on. Money is all about budgeting. The *reality check* is probably that you're buying stuff you don't need or you don't know how to shop. God isn't going to make you buy a new TV or something so you go into debt *as a sign* because *he* wants you to quit bodybuilding.. He rather you eat at Mcdonalds everyday and turn into a fatass. Um yeah, that doesn't make much sense..:rolleyes:

Like others have said, your main problem is priortizing and balance.

So you're trying to say 1 master is God and the other master is Bodybuilding? That sounds ridiculous. By that logic, if you quit and become *devoted* to school.. You're still "serving 2 masters"..god and school... lol.

Quitting bb'ing because you're becoming *obsessive* about it will only make you obsess about something else. Instead of using working out as your escape from reality, you might obsess about religion and whatever you plan to do for "spirituality". People with obsessive problems almost always replace that obsession with something else. Learn how to quit obsessing.

Ehyun55
04-16-2006, 09:14 PM
if you want me to be general,ill give you another example

its come to a point in my life where bodybuilding has taken control of my life. your right, there is no actual connection btwn bb'ing and my beliefs; however, bb'ing has become an obstruction to how i should be living my life in God.

whether it be bodybuilding, video games, sex, etc. its still ruining my life in the eyes of God.

serving the two masters part was in reference to the way i was living my life. i.e. for personal gains rather than God.

financial problems, well i dont really wnat to discuss them. just say its way over just buying a new TV.

this isnt a sob story for me to tell, and im sure u all wouldnt want to hear that, its just some advice. thanks yall

Ehyun55
04-16-2006, 09:16 PM
WTF. i dont know if u meant the 'obsessing about spirituality' in a derogatory way, but id like to follow my life in the footsteps of what i believe is to be right.

bodybuilding to me was/is an obsession. religion is conviction.

SYRIANKID
04-16-2006, 09:23 PM

You should give up sinful things, not good things. Taking care of your body and reaching your physical potential is one way of being grateful to God for His blessings to you, just make sure you keep this intention WHILE you do what you do.

MoGeaYuglay
04-16-2006, 09:29 PM
You should give up sinful things, not good things. Taking care of your body and reaching your physical potential is one way of being grateful to God for His blessings to you, just make sure you keep this intention WHILE you do what you do.

I agree, BBing should be a healthy thing for a Christian to do. Now, if you are using bodybuilding to feed an out of control ego (accomplishments and admiration for hard work isn't inherently egoistic, but it can become so), or to give you some sort of comfort, then it has become an idol. God wants you to come to him first for your comforts and other problems, not to weights, competitions, or diets or anything like that. I'll tell you what I do, I try to make it a point to pray a bit before I do cardio or lifting just asking God to help me to better myself, know my limits, and bless the time for good use (oh yes, and not get injured, His will be done. :) ). It has really been beneficial to literally bring God into all that I do.

fkn_give_me_abs
04-16-2006, 09:30 PM
I remember a while ago seeing something on TV about this priest who was into lifting.....he was jacked. They showed him doing pullups with a good amount of weight attached. (He was even wearing the little collar dohickey while lifting.) So I guess if a priest is doing it, it can't be a sin.

does that mean i can sexually abuse little boys too?

ahaha cheap shot i know but it was just asking to be exploited.

but to answer the question, i dont see why you can't do bodybuilding while also doing whatever else you want, it's all about balance, and it appears at the moment too much is being put into bodybuilding. Just even it all out a bit, no need to ditch bodybuilding altogether.

mntbikedude
04-16-2006, 11:13 PM
Personally I think the bodybuilding helps me in all areas of my life. To relieve stress in a healthy manner. To glorify him by taking care of his creation. By being able to influence other to make good choices.

This summer my 13 year old son and I are ridding our bikes from Canada to California. There's alot of things I would like to talk about on this trip that there just doesn't seem like the right time. But I'll make the time on this trip. I can go on and on. Bottom line , being in shaped blesses my on many many levels and I believe I am able to be a better father, husband, and serve better in the church. All because of bbing.

JJstrokerson22
04-16-2006, 11:14 PM

If you are putting it before God then definitely yes. Its a no brainer. Plus it would make you happier and increase your spiritual relationship with God.

farmerlee
04-17-2006, 02:17 AM

Theres is nothing wrong with bodybuilding as long as you do not idolise it and it is not causing you to sin. God wants us to enjoy life, and if bodybuilding brings you joy then keep at it as long as you do not put it ahead of god. I was in a similar situation to you a few years ago where i put working out ahead of everything else, i realised i had to change my priorities. I still work out these days but i don't allow it to rule my life If life gets busy or hectic then i just don't work out. I'll focus on the more important things and get back to working out when i can, its not the end of the world if i miss a few workouts. Remember what jesus said, "put god first and everything else will follow".

JonZ
04-17-2006, 07:08 AM
"I don't really see how you make a connection between bbing and religion."

Really.

Uber-neggR
04-17-2006, 09:39 AM
So I guess if a priest is doing it, it can't be a sin.

I do hope you're being sarcastic there.

StrongInChrist
04-17-2006, 05:58 PM
gym time a week: 10 hours approximate.

the gym for me is more than just staying healthy. its my passion, an obsession.

perhaps it is about prioritizing things first, but i know for a fact that i know i need to give it up for God, to lead the life that i know i should be living. (this is my personal belief that coicides with my religion)

Mark Dugdale trains 4 hours a week amongst many other BBuilders and athletes. How about we make this a training thread and advise you to tone things down a bit. 5 hours tops is sufficient for a monster so dont over do it.

It is not wise to train this much whether you see it as spiritual or physical.