PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft vs Free agency. Which is better by position?

JRRBadBoy4Life
03-01-2008, 12:49 PM
This if for 1st round draft picks.

Running Back: I would say draft a young guy rather than sign a guy who has been in the league for a few years. Cadillac Williams, Reggie Bush, and Adrian Peterson all had successful rookie years at running back, just to name a few.

Quarterback: Go with the free agent if there is a descent one available, only draft if you are desparate to get someone in there. All quarterbacks take time to develop in the NFL. An experienced guy who has had some success at the NFL level is much more likely to have an immediate impact for a team to win than a rookie quarterback.

Wide Reciever: I'm a little torn on this one but I would slightly favor going with a proven veteran as long as he's not older than about 30. I think a rookie reciever in general will have a minimum impact on the teams success.

Safety: I think the draft is the way to go here. Much like the running back, the safety is a very physically demanding position. Most safeties after 5 or more years of taking and recieving hard hits tend to become more injury prone or get a little soft as they age, again much like the running back.

theend2
03-01-2008, 01:12 PM
im curious how you feel about drafting O and D-line in the first round after seeing how Joe Thomas turned out for Cleveland and how Williams turned out for Texas.

cman1787
03-01-2008, 01:43 PM
draft is better to build your franchise. ask dan snyder how all those free agents are working out