PDA

View Full Version : my shoulder popped out... now im sh*t scared !!!...

bigjoe87865
04-06-2006, 05:16 PM
ok.... i havnt worked out in 2 -3 weeks because i broke my left wrist....

and this week was the first time im getting back to weights..... normaly i shoulder DB press at 65lbs.... this time i could only do 50lbs... and i was struggling.....

then out of no where.. on my 3rd set.... my right shoulder leans backward... while up in the air... and it did that popping thing... and i dropped the weights immediatly and jumped up in pain... i loooked in the mirror... theres bone sticking out under the skin of my shoulder... and i my shoulder was like paralized... after a bunch of wrrestling with my self... i felt it pop back in....

and then while walking to i decided to lift my arms laterly up... to see if i broke anything... and it poped out again but popped back into place instantly.... no wrestling.... then i was **** scared.... i drove back home... coldnt use that shoulder .... it was hard... then went to sleep ... woke up 6hrs later... and here i am... im scared as hell .... i dont know what i did to my shoulder... my mom said its permenent... i did something to my roter cuffs.

she said i screwed my life up. *it still hurts like a bit*h... i was like tearing in bed... cause of the pain*....

KopyKat
04-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Well don't listen to "you screwed your life up" believing is half the battle and if you wanna know something about a buddy of mine, hes popped his shoulders out 3 times! Twice on the left side and once on the right and hes still doing olympic lifting after rehab. The first time he got it ripped out from a power boat while holding on to a wake board or something, the other time during wrestling getting slammed on it, and the third time from doing kettlebell squats. Hes made a FULL recoverly every time, but the first time took the longest obviously since it was ripped out.

Concentrate on rehab and only that and find yourself a good physio place.

If my friend is still doing olympic lifting right now (and believe me, nothing uses the shoulders more explosively than that stuff!) then you can for sure overcome this and make a full recovery. Don't play around with it too much and go get checked out NOW!!!

dieselbuilder
04-06-2006, 05:28 PM
ok.... i havnt worked out in 2 -3 weeks because i broke my left wrist....

and this week was the first time im getting back to weights..... normaly i shoulder DB press at 65lbs.... this time i could only do 50lbs... and i was struggling.....

then out of no where.. on my 3rd set.... my right shoulder leans backward... while up in the air... and it did that popping thing... and i dropped the weights immediatly and jumped up in pain... i loooked in the mirror... theres bone sticking out under the skin of my shoulder... and i my shoulder was like paralized... after a bunch of wrrestling with my self... i felt it pop back in....

and then while walking to i decided to lift my arms laterly up... to see if i broke anything... and it poped out again but popped back into place instantly.... no wrestling.... then i was **** scared.... i drove back home... coldnt use that shoulder .... it was hard... then went to sleep ... woke up 6hrs later... and here i am... im scared as hell .... i dont know what i did to my shoulder... my mom said its permenent... i did something to my roter cuffs.

she said i screwed my life up. *it still hurts like a bit*h... i was like tearing in bed... cause of the pain*....

Okay. Unless your mom is a sports medicine doctor and checked you out, SEE A MFING DOCTOR! What is posting on this forum going to solve, SEE A DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!

Steeltoe
04-06-2006, 06:02 PM
To make sure that doesnt happen again, do shoulder presses seated.

bigjoe87865
04-06-2006, 06:14 PM
i will.. but everyone is too busy here... for a function.... she said she will take me in like 3 days.... *im on her insurance*...

posting here... welll just wondering if there was any... in house BB.com remedies.. and diagnoses on this.... if it was common or not

and my mom is a normal Nurse.... she says she sees alot of BB related injuries like this.... beats me.....

bigjoe87865
04-06-2006, 06:15 PM
To make sure that doesnt happen again, do shoulder presses seated.
they were seated.... it was done on a differnt company bench.. i guess i wasnt used to it...

but dont worry... im terrifed from doing Db shoulder presses...

King Crush
04-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Take some time off and let it heal. While your leting it heal do some light rehab on it, it should get better. I know shoulder injuries suck, both mine hurt all the time from old injuries.

cardman
04-06-2006, 08:45 PM
I did the exact same thing shoulder pressing with a barbell. Except i went to the hospital and they put it back in place. YEs, its hurts like a mother ****er at first, but each day the pain got less and less, and after 4 days it didnt hurt unitll i lifted it. Basically the doc said dont pop it in urself, cuz it tares what ever it is that holds it in place. At the hospital they drugged me up like a mother****er then did it. I went to physical therapy for a month, and didnt workout at all for 2 months, and didnt get most of my strength back in it for at least 3 months. Its been 9 months since and im still scared to do shoulder press unless on a smith machine. LIsten to everybody else and see a doctor. Doing rehab is ur best option if u have insurance.

bigjoe87865
04-06-2006, 09:51 PM
I did the exact same thing shoulder pressing with a barbell. Except i went to the hospital and they put it back in place. YEs, its hurts like a mother ****er at first, but each day the pain got less and less, and after 4 days it didnt hurt unitll i lifted it. Basically the doc said dont pop it in urself, cuz it tares what ever it is that holds it in place. At the hospital they drugged me up like a mother****er then did it. I went to physical therapy for a month, and didnt workout at all for 2 months, and didnt get most of my strength back in it for at least 3 months. Its been 9 months since and im still scared to do shoulder press unless on a smith machine. LIsten to everybody else and see a doctor. Doing rehab is ur best option if u have insurance.

wow

so u went to the hospital with a shoulder out of place?... ouch
my fingers were like paralized when it popped... and my arm looked freaky in the mirror... until i got it back in place... and i wobbled my self out of the gym n drove back home... went to sleep.

my mom said no gym for atleast 3 weeks.... and we will see an orthopedist in a week.. *everyone is crazy busy... * she said just put on a sling for now..

and... 9months?... crap....im supposed to be in the marine corps basic training by then :(

-->aDAM*<--
04-07-2006, 02:15 AM
same thing here..kind of. i dislocated my knee at my 1st rugby union training of the year which was about 3 weeks ago and i've been holding off doing any leg exercises but i just got one of those flexible knee braces, i dont know if you can get them for a shoulder though.

DuracellBunny
04-07-2006, 03:39 AM
I've popped mine a few times (the docs have threatened to pin it if I do it again - I have broken it as well, but that's a seperate story) and it is scary when you do it. The main thing to worry about that I am aware of is damaged tendons. I don't know enough to comment on the RC. The commonest permanent damage is breaking off the edge of the cusp (that's the edge of the socket that the ball joint sits in) which makes it easier for it to dislocate again.

Your mom is a nurse so I assume she knows what she is talking about, but her waiting 3 days before taking you is weird as she should also know what could happen in those 3 days if you have a bit of bone floating around etc. Go to the hospital today; do whatever you have to do, but get your ar$e down there.

Oppressed
04-07-2006, 05:26 AM
I have to say that I think your mother is giving you potentially bad advice and does not sound very knowledgeable about shoulder injuries. If I were you I would do this:

1) No lifting of any kind!

2) Put some ice on that shoulder about three times a day for 20 minutes
or until numb (longer is not better).

3) Unless you really need to because of pain or continued dislocation (in which case you should go to the hospital) don't put your arm in a sling. Immobilization of the shoulder could do you more harm than good. I'm not saying that you should go boxing, just keep the arm mobile so you don't end up with a frozen shoulder.

4) Tell your mother that you can not wait for three days. Tell her that you're in pain, it keeps dislocating, whatever you need to tell her to get yourself into a doctor.

I assure you that you've not ruined your life. Worst case senario is that you tore something and will need surgery/rehab. I've tweaked my shoulder several times, in fact I'm taking this week off lifting because of it. Every single time has been for the same reasons...lifting too much too soon and not properly conditioning my rotator cuff. You only get two shoulders, TAKE CARE OF THEM!

I hope things turn out well for you.

bigjoe87865
04-07-2006, 07:26 AM
ok guys... my mom is taking me tommorow... its the soonest she can do.... *she woulda taken me yesterday... but theres alot going on here* and i fully understand it

for now... this whole day.... staying bed sounds good?.. no sling..... and an icepack?... where exactly should i put the ice..... lateral?... in the front next to my chest... or on my back

just for letting me know ahead of time sake... what do u guys THINK could be the damage on my shoulder?

i can raise it lateraly... but slight pain.... but i cannot raise it to the front *front shoulder raise* and i definatly cannot raise it to the back.... today... putting on my t shirt was hard...and wiping my a$$ on the john....

as for for how it happend... was doing a DB press... went up... lost balance i guess.. and arm twisted back... and weights fell behind me ....and i looked up in the mirror... my shoulder looked funky... and i used my left arm and raised my right.... and played around with it under the pain... and it finaly fell into place....

note... something like this has happend in the past.... but it was when i was a noob to BB... i was shoulderpressing like 30s or 25s... it popped... but not as painfull... i just stopped... and went back to lifting the next week.

i dont see any swelling....

and once again... yes i will go see a doctor :)... ijust wanna know what u guys think

Bogaerts
04-07-2006, 07:38 AM
ok guys... my mom is taking me tommorow... its the soonest she can do.... *she woulda taken me yesterday... but theres alot going on here* and i fully understand it

for now... this whole day.... staying bed sounds good?.. no sling..... and an icepack?... where exactly should i put the ice..... lateral?... in the front next to my chest... or on my back

just for letting me know ahead of time sake... what do u guys THINK could be the damage on my shoulder?

i can raise it lateraly... but slight pain.... but i cannot raise it to the front *front shoulder raise* and i definatly cannot raise it to the back.... today... putting on my t shirt was hard...and wiping my a$$ on the john....

as for for how it happend... was doing a DB press... went up... lost balance i guess.. and arm twisted back... and weights fell behind me ....and i looked up in the mirror... my shoulder looked funky... and i used my left arm and raised my right.... and played around with it under the pain... and it finaly fell into place....

note... something like this has happend in the past.... but it was when i was a noob to BB... i was shoulderpressing like 30s or 25s... it popped... but not as painfull... i just stopped... and went back to lifting the next week.

i dont see any swelling....

and once again... yes i will go see a doctor :)... ijust wanna know what u guys think

Only two words of advise....

1. Doctor

2. Immediately

bigjoe87865
04-07-2006, 07:41 AM
I KNOW!.... i am dude... its just one day i gotta wait... theres no way anything can happen today....parents have stuff going on... and cant back out of it now...

tommorow first thing... im going to the docs...

i just wanted to know what u guys think might be the damage.

Bogaerts
04-07-2006, 08:01 AM
I KNOW!.... i am dude... its just one day i gotta wait... theres no way anything can happen today....parents have stuff going on... and cant back out of it now...

tommorow first thing... im going to the docs...

i just wanted to know what u guys think might be the damage.

I'm not a doctor, and don't even want to begin to say anything that might influence you in any way that might cause you more injury. Just restating what everyone is already saying. Driving home the point that seeing a doctor now could be mission critical with regards to your weight lifting career.

Viking22
04-07-2006, 08:47 AM
welll just wondering if there was any... in house BB.com remedies....

From what I can tell, you have two to choose from:

1) Double your Cell Tech doseage.

2) PIITB

bigjoe87865
04-07-2006, 09:28 AM
From what I can tell, you have two to choose from:

1) Double your Cell Tech doseage.

2) PIITB

go on....
cell tech?... erm what bout CEE?

PIITB?... whats that?

Oppressed
04-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Honestly there is no way to tell you what damage is done. But there definitely is damage done so don't move the arm past the point of pain and I would apply the ice over the largest area you can. Just make sure to cover the top of the shoulder, the part where it starts curving down your arm.

You could have something as minor as inflamation or as severe as a fully torn rotator cuff.

One last thing...when you see your doctor make sure to give all the details you've given us. Don't bull**** him/her by downplaying the injury. Doctors do a much better job when they have all the facts. Make sure to mention the previous popping/dislocating you've experienced.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bogaerts
04-07-2006, 09:51 PM
One last thing...when you see your doctor make sure to give all the details you've given us. Don't bull**** him/her by downplaying the injury. Doctors do a much better job when they have all the facts. Make sure to mention the previous popping/dislocating you've experienced.

Man, you sound like my wife now! Same thing she always tells me (probably cause I always downplay my problem) Guess thats why she goes with me now. :)

Oppressed
04-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Man, you sound like my wife now! Same thing she always tells me (probably cause I always downplay my problem) Guess thats why she goes with me now. :)
hehe, smart woman. As I was typing that I realized I sound just like my girlfriend. I guess we need women to stay healthy :)

Oppressed
04-09-2006, 04:30 PM
No update....they must have had to amputate.

bigjoe87865
04-14-2006, 02:16 PM
oh oh... sorry about that

heres update

i went to the docs.... took x ray.... no chipped bone or anything.... but he bent my arm in diff possitions and asked if it hurt... i answerd accordingly

and then he told me... that the shoulder has 3 lines of defense... before popping out... i broke the first 2 lines... *which are some tendons and ligaments.... * and i weakend my rotator cuffs... and i should be carefull untill it heals again...

so far he said... im making great progress... i should lay off weights for 2weeks to a month... *while on physical therapy.. which is 3 times a week*

then after the 2weeks to month of therapy... my thearapist... will tell me when i can start going on weights... so far so good...

orthopedist did say... theres a 60-100% chance that it will pop out again... and it never 100% heals... unless im realy lucky

bummer :(

bigjoe87865
06-17-2008, 03:46 PM
wow... u guys might get mad for bumping this old thread...

but i was reading all my old posts....

anyways... feb 2008... i had my shoulder surgically repaired (bankart lesion repair)

there are 3 metal anchors in place now... did alot of therapy and rehab...

---

the shoulder kept popping out since 2006... randomly.. atleast once a month... and i finally joined the fire academy... and during a set of pushups and jumping jacks one after the other... it popped out during a jumping jack.

they kicked me out... i immediatly went to the doc... and had surgery 2 weeks later.

i havnt lifted much weights since late 2006.... been scared.... just did a bunch of cardio for these 2 years.. im a skinny guy right now at 175lbs 6'2"

when i made this thread.. i was around 195lbs 6'2"

lost almost all the muscle i worked hard to gain.... but hey... atleast now i can see my abs.... i might lift weights again at the end of this year... when the shoulder is fully healed up again.... but the feeling of starting from scratch is ****ty... wish me luck.

- Joel

brent2886
06-17-2008, 04:07 PM
hey bud,

I destroyed my shoulder wrestling and it still gives me problems a lot of the time, but there are a few things you can do to get back into lifting:

1. Start light. When I first got back into lifting, I did seated presses with 25s, and even then my shoulder popped out once. It's like learning to walk all over again, but instead muscle function in your shoulder.

2. Remember the RC strengthening exercises they showed you in your PT, or find some online. Internal and external rotations are key. These things will help keep the shoulder joint tight and strong. If you get lax and stop doing them, you will suffer the consequences (trust me on this one).

3. Keep going. It's been 5 years since i separated and dislocated my left shoulder. Both still pop out sporadically, but almost never compared to before. It's been over a year for my right shoulder, and at least 2 months for my left. If you are patient in the gym, the results will come, but you have to take your time.

Best of luck.