PDA

View Full Version : can i take ON 100% whey protein shake after playing basketball

rw1987
02-26-2008, 04:08 AM
hello all.
i am quite skinny so i have decided to use on 100% whey gold standard. i have not started my workouts as yet ( i will soon) but i play basketball for an hour daily .i feel a lot hungry in my college during the playing hours? can i use the on milk shake immediately after my playing ? (i really wanted to gain some muscle before i start my workouts )

if i mix the ON WHEY protein with oatmeal in my brekafast ?do i have to add one scoop before cooking the oatmeal of after?

how many times i should consume the whey protein a day as i am not doing the workouts ?

thanks

strawser9
02-26-2008, 04:28 AM
weight training or no, its still a good idea to get at least 1g of protein per lb.

figure out how much protein you get from your meals, fill in the rest from shakes(try to get at least 75% of your protein from whole foods like chicken, steak, eggs...etc)

sure, have a shake after you get done playing basketball! I remember when I used to play 4 hours a day at Ferris State, I was dog-tired afterward...you need the protein!

can't help you on the oatmeal question...I drink mine, no cooking involved :D

The Solution
02-26-2008, 04:40 AM
yes its fine to mix you protein in your oatmeal.. do it afterwards after its cooled off for a minute or two or else it will get real clumpy and annoying to eat,

as for after a basketball game id say not.. save it for after a weight workout when your muscles need amino acids rushed to your body the fastest..

as for taking whey.. save it for post workout or upon risiing when its needed most to break the catabolic cycle or reverse being catabolic after a workout.

Try to get most of your protein from whole food sources like chicken, eggs, tuna, turkey , ground beef at all tiems possible

Sixpack
02-26-2008, 05:03 AM
Yes it would be fine to take before or after a workout

TheNewestGuy
02-26-2008, 05:09 AM
Take it anytime you want.

ITNewibie
02-26-2008, 05:55 AM
hello all.
i am quite skinny so i have decided to use on 100% whey gold standard. i have not started my workouts as yet ( i will soon) but i play basketball for an hour daily .i feel a lot hungry in my college during the playing hours? can i use the on milk shake immediately after my playing ? (i really wanted to gain some muscle before i start my workouts )

if i mix the ON WHEY protein with oatmeal in my brekafast ?do i have to add one scoop before cooking the oatmeal of after?

how many times i should consume the whey protein a day as i am not doing the workouts ?

thanks

I think it can be done -I have done it and cooked it with the oatmeal and it becomes a sticky consistency more so than if you did not consume it without
It does increase the nutritional value of the oatmeal -I have not tried it without I am not sure if it affects the protein stablity in the product or not
Some bodybuilders have used it and have recommended it when i was competing -so I guess it is a matter of choice and taste

good luck

rw1987
02-26-2008, 09:05 AM
weight training or no, its still a good idea to get at least 1g of protein per lb.

figure out how much protein you get from your meals, fill in the rest from shakes(try to get at least 75% of your protein from whole foods like chicken, steak, eggs...etc)

sure, have a shake after you get done playing basketball! I remember when I used to play 4 hours a day at Ferris State, I was dog-tired afterward...you need the protein!

can't help you on the oatmeal question...I drink mine, no cooking involved :D

so how much can i consume whey protein powder daily if i am not doing workout (tell me in terms of the scoop of the powder) thanks

The Solution
02-26-2008, 11:17 AM
so how much can i consume whey protein powder daily if i am not doing workout (tell me in terms of the scoop of the powder) thanks

Listen whey can be taken whenever, but thats like asking how much chicken or turkey can i eat at my dinner?

its similiar because they are both protein sources but whole foods being obvisouly the better choice whenever present,

and take a scoop.. for as small as you are you do not need to be guzzling down loads of protein, disperse it between 5-6 meals throughout the day and you shuold get at least 1g/lb easily

as for not working out take it in the morning upon waking up ( unless you can make some eggs, chicken, whatever whole foods) because it breaks the catabolic state from sleeping overnight the fastest

rainieravesouth
02-26-2008, 11:24 AM
if you're playing basketball for more than 1 hour, you should get some carbs in with the protein as well.

your body can convert the protein into glucose (right?) if you dont supply it with enough carbs after a strenuous cardio workout like basketball

rw1987
02-27-2008, 03:25 AM
Listen whey can be taken whenever, but thats like asking how much chicken or turkey can i eat at my dinner?

its similiar because they are both protein sources but whole foods being obvisouly the better choice whenever present,

and take a scoop.. for as small as you are you do not need to be guzzling down loads of protein, disperse it between 5-6 meals throughout the day and you shuold get at least 1g/lb easily

as for not working out take it in the morning upon waking up ( unless you can make some eggs, chicken, whatever whole foods) because it breaks the catabolic state from sleeping overnight the fastest

you mean daily i should divide a scoop of ON's whey protein powder into 4 0r 5 and consume it in different meals?
(i dont know how 1g/lb is measured lol)

if i consume whey only in breakfast and add whey protein powder in my oatmeal do i add half a scoop or the full?

KennyP
02-27-2008, 04:27 AM
If you're 200lbs, aim for at least 200 grams of protein a day.

Plan your meals. Eat food with protein in it. Subtract all the food you ate's protein from 200 grams, and fill the rest with ON Whey.

The Solution
02-27-2008, 06:01 AM
you mean daily i should divide a scoop of ON's whey protein powder into 4 0r 5 and consume it in different meals?
(i dont know how 1g/lb is measured lol)

if i consume whey only in breakfast and add whey protein powder in my oatmeal do i add half a scoop or the full?

wow you must have trouble reading,

whey is something you shuold only rely on in case of emergencies for meals, AT ALL OF YOUR MEALS EAT WHOLE FOODS ( chicken , tuna, turkey, cottage cheese, eggs, etce tc) save the whey for post workout( yes weightlifting) shakes or if you CANNOT get some during your meals throughout the day for some reason

whole foods are more benefical then whey will ever be, this is just a supplement to aid in geting enough protein throughout the day

and 1 scoop like it says on the back of your container is 23g of protein or so, and yes you can add it into your oats, add as much as you want to get enough protein for that meal