PDA

View Full Version : What is an appropriate Heart Rate for Fat Loss?

ko_kidd
04-02-2006, 08:00 PM
I've been doing 80+% of my max heart rate (200 bpm) for a long time and I think my results have plateaued.

Does anyone do the suggested of 60+% of your maximum heart rate that's suggested on a lot of cardio equipment? I don't understand the science or theories behind that.

joeblotto
04-02-2006, 10:29 PM
You burn less calories doing a lower heart rate, but a higher percentage of them are from fat, so you will end up burning more fat overall

Brandon3333
04-03-2006, 12:21 AM
He's right, a lower blood pressure for a little longer time burns more calories. Plus it will be a good change for your body which will aid in fat loss. Keeping your body guessing keeps fat loss at a premium.

ALSO - I do not know how old you are, but if you are in your 30's or above then watch how high your blood pressure gets! Above 200 can be unsafe! (esp. for older and heavier people)

ko_kidd
04-03-2006, 02:47 PM
19 btw.

Eileen
04-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Personally, I'd try doing intervals. Short intense effort (sprints or similar) for say a minute, followed by a slow recovery pace of a minute or two, Repeat six to ten times. Because it's short, it doesn't burn as many calories during the workout, but burns more for longer afterwards. Plus it really gives your heart and lungs a workout.

AnaerobicAndrew
04-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Between %50 and %85 BPM. Lower intensities training will oxidize more fat during exercise than high intensity, but high intensity will burn more throughout the rest of the day, but at the end of the day the numbers even out and its a wash. The only real difference is the time frame, immediate, short term, and chronic time lines. There is a GREAT thread about this in the exercise section.http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=747976